Pope quote: Moral Relativism

Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me find a quote by the pope on moral relativism. I really wanted to put it by my yearbook pic so it must be short! All the ones I found were just too long! Oh Pope Benedict, must you be so eloquent??

Here is the pope’s speech on it, but I am just having so much trouble finding good short quotes…

vatican.va/gpII/documents/homily-pro-eligendo-pontifice_20050418_en.html

Thank you!:thumbsup:

OH yeah, I forgot something. If possible, I would like for it to use “dictatoship of relativism” as a term. But the only one in that speech is tooooo long!

Now I am getting too specific! Just anything can work!

These quotes are not by Pope Benedict, but I believe they do speak to the Catholic position of moral relativism. Plus, they’re short(ish), sweet, and would look oh-so great underneath your senior picture. Just some suggestions.

[quote=John Paul II]In reality, truth is often feared because it is not known. Truth, exactly as Christ revealed it, is a guarantee of genuine and full freedom for the human person.
[/quote]

[quote=G.K. Chesterton] Morality is always dreadfully complicated to a man who has lost all his principles.
[/quote]

[quote=Peter Kreeft] It is not reason, but the abdication of reason that is the source of moral relativism. Relativism is not rational, it is rationalization.
[/quote]

[quote=Peter Kreeft] I know of no other answer, and I can think of nothing else that can save this civilization except Saints.
[/quote]

I remember going through the same dilemma you are now, trying to find a good quote for under my yearbook picture. For what it’s worth, I ended up going with this one:

[quote=St. Gerard Majella]Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy your heart?
[/quote]

Good luck and God bless.

Pope Benedict XVI, then Cardinal Ratzinger:

How many winds of doctrine we have known in recent decades, how many ideological currents, how many ways of thinking… The small boat of thought of many Christians has often been tossed about by these waves – thrown from one extreme to the other: from Marxism to liberalism, even to libertinism; from collectivism to radical individualism; from atheism to a vague religious mysticism; from agnosticism to syncretism, and so forth. Every day new sects are created and what Saint Paul says about human trickery comes true, with cunning which tries to draw those into error (cf Eph 4, 14). Having a clear faith, based on the Creed of the Church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism. Whereas, relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and “swept along by every wind of teaching”, looks like the only attitude (acceptable) to today’s standards. We are moving towards a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires.

oecumene.radiovaticana.org/en1/Articolo.asp?id=33987

Since you want something short and containing “dictatorship of relativism,” you could use the last sentence of the above quote.

Thank you for the suggestions! I think you’re right, nodito, it doesn’t really have to be by Pope Benedict. I had a specific quote in mind but I think I have come to find out that it does not exist. Huh. :shrug: Other holy people are very much welcomed at quoters, too! :smiley:

And I think that last sentence in the paragraph is a little lengthy, plus it’s kind of depressing. “The world is going bad!” It doesn’t sound good without a solution (which of course he presents later).

Thanks! I’ll let you know what I finally end up putting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.