Pope receives tiara from Catholic and Orthodox Christians

At today's weekly general audience the Holy Father received a new tiara made for him and presented by Catholic and Orthodox Christians.

The tiara was commissioned by Dieter Philippi (dieter-philippi.de/), a German Catholic businessman who has a great devotion to the papacy as well as to the call to Christian unity.

SOURCE

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/7152/or110525121415308811.jpg

quite a tiara :)

Wow! How beautiful!

Very nice :)

I like it.

Very nice! I would he would wear at least once! I know the last pope to have one was Paul VI correct?

The old Papal Tiara is still at the Vatican. The last Pope to actually wear it was John XXIII. Paul VI refused to wear it during his Papacy.

The Pope is not a temporal ruler any longer, he is no longer considered a King or an Emperor. There is absolutely no reason why any Pope should be wearing any kind of a crown.

I sincerely pray that this horrible use of treasure is sold off and used to provide for the poor.

I think you're wrong on several fronts.

Paul VI did wear it - I believe he discontinued wearing it at some point in his papacy.

The pope is a temporal ruler - sovereign of the Vatican City State. I believe he is a monarch.

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:7, topic:241590"]
The Pope is not a temporal ruler any longer, he is no longer considered a King or an Emperor.

[/quote]

The Pope is a temporal ruler as well as a spiritual shepherd.

There is absolutely no reason why any Pope should be wearing any kind of a crown.

The Pope should wear the papal tiara to demonstrate that even secular government is subject to the Catholic Faith.

The old Papal Tiara is still at the Vatican. The last Pope to actually wear it was John XXIII. Paul VI refused to wear it during his Papacy.

The Pope is not a temporal ruler any longer, he is no longer considered a King or an Emperor. There is absolutely no reason why any Pope should be wearing any kind of a crown.

I sincerely pray that this horrible use of treasure is sold off and used to provide for the poor.

[/quote]

Why don't you also sell your computer so you may provide for the poor? You should give everything for the poor

Sorry, but my computer is not made of gold.

The time is LONG past when the church should be accepting temporal items like this. This tiarra is NOT religious, it is a crown to signify that the pope is a Ruler. Let's not go back to the middle ages, when the Pope was a ruler of vast lands, led armies into wars, etc.

That's exactly what this kind of a crown signifies.

http://www.knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/e/e9/Paul_VI_4.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Uf0LwaR20H0/S2ik9AXjTSI/AAAAAAAAA00/hWXOV05mjKM/s320/pope18.jpg
Pope Paul VI

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:11, topic:241590"]
. . .] it is a crown to signify that the pope is a Ruler.

[/quote]

Exactly because the Pope is a temporal ruler. To deny him his temporal authority is an error.

The time is LONG past when the church should be accepting temporal items like this. This tiarra is NOT religious, it is a crown to signify that the pope is a Ruler. Let's not go back to the middle ages, when the Pope was a ruler of vast lands, led armies into wars, etc.

[/quote]

Made of gold or not by the standard you have set any thing beyound what is needs to meet the basics of life ( food, cloths, shelter) should be sold and used to care for the Poor.

Be is vast lands or or not the Pope is a ruler. He is the steward for the King and the King rules all religious or not.

[/quote]

Claptrap. The Pope is a monarch, he is the head of Vatican state. He is the RULER of Vatican state. And, he's successor of St Peter, he's the shepherd of God's flock! Why SHOULDN'T he wear this beautiful tiara that has been gifted to him by Catholics and Orthodox. Gosh, that crown is simply beautiful! Hopefully he WILL wear it!

[quote="LoyalViews, post:15, topic:241590"]
Claptrap. The Pope is a monarch, he is the head of Vatican state.

[/quote]

I'm quite sure that people who want the pope to wear a tiara are not especially prompted by his rulership of the 108-acre territory of Vatican City. "He must wear the glorious tiara, to show his dominion over a small portion of western Rome!" Uh, sure. Are they just too timid to discuss the real reasons why they think he ought to wear the tiara, because they fear it wouldn't sound politically correct or something?

I can assure you that Pope Benedict is NOT the type of learned man who would wear a crown to display his political station.

Who in this day and age, except for a self-obsessed egomaniac, would seriously wear a crown like that?

So, my question is not about wearing the tiara, but about who it's from. Is there any significance to it being from Catholic and Orthodox Christians? Could this be one more step in the spirit of unity?:shrug:

[/quote]

Then go sell any jewelry you might have and give it to the poor.

[/quote]

The Pope does rule the Vatican, which makes him a temporal ruler.

[/quote]

Maybe to you. To me it represents the supremacy of the Pope in matters of faith. To each his own, I guess, though I don't think it's your right to criticize the Pope (or anyone else, for that matter) and tell him what to do with a gift that was given to him.

But, if anyone ever gives you any piece of jewelry, at least we know what you'll do with it! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I agree completely, but I would settle for him simply never putting that thing on his head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.