Pope renews opposition to drug trade, warns against liberalizing laws [CWN]

Pope Francis reiterated his opposition to drug trafficking, and weighed in against legalization of recreational drug use, during a meeting with Raymond Yans, the president of the …

More…

Isn’t alcohol a recreational drug? So why is alcohol allowed while things like marijuana are “bad/evil”? We need some moral theologians to actually piece together a set of standards on drug use. In the Latin catechism it says stupefying drugs that gravely injure health are forbidden, i.e. those that rob one of their reason and can kill. Drunkenness meets this standard, but marijuana does not. IDK, I just find it funny that we only seem to forbid drugs that are foreign to the western world. Coffee, chocolate, tobacco, alcohol are a-ok but God forbid we use something like kava, kratom, kanna, betel nuts, or marijuana - all drugs with minimal health risks that leave the user in control of their faculties.

I propose these criteria: if it does not significantly harm health or seriously impair reason, use it.

Thank God.

asam.org/pressroom/read/2012/07/30/asam-opposes-state-ballot-measures-to-legalize-marijuana

drugfree.org/join-together/drugs/study-examines-new-treatment-for-marijuana-dependence

Peace,
Ed

Our LORD drank wine. For the Church to oppose it would be to try to improve on Him, not a good idea.

He did not use pot.

I think those whose are so anxious to defend pot should reexamine their motives.

:thumbsup:

According to this article, hashish use likely originated in the Middle East possibly as long ago as the 3rd century BC, If that’s true, then II don’t know how you can be so sure that Jesus never used it.

As to motives: For me in comes down to a fairly straight forward social justice issue. If I don’t advocate for the prosecution of those who use alcohol or tobacco – and I don’t – then I can’t advocate for the prosecution of those who use marijuana.

My point is, why is the drug known as alcohol allowed but not other soft drugs? Tobacco isn’t in the Bible, yet the Church allows its use. Caffeine as well. And when the common drugs allowed cause more health issues than weed and lesser known (and legal) drugs, why the moral outrage? We need criteria by which to measure the morality of the use of each substance. I proposed that, going by the Latin CCC (which reads “the use of stupefying drugs” and not just “the use of drugs” [which makes no sense anyway because several drugs are mentioned as being morally licit to use in the preceding paragraphs]) we should judge each drug by its effect on reason and its health risks or even benefits. Legality comes into play with marijuana, but the US scheduling is absurd and not founded on reason thus, like St. Thomas Aquinas said, it isn’t a true law. It has no basis in divine law and thus can be disobeyed. Of course there’s the black market cartels to worry about, but if you know local growers or grow your own then the only thing you have to deal with is whether it’s prudent and worth the consequences that may occur should you be caught. Here in my state it’s decriminalized, you just get a fine. And it’s a social justice issue as well, seeing as a substance which (I believe) is not sinful to use can get you jailed for years in a for-profit system. We’re anxious to defend pot because we like it, view it like alcohol, and thus are po’ed about the way the system treats those who like it. And for some of us it’s life-saving medicine.

One of the popes drank wine fortified with cocaine. St. Padre Pio loved snuff. We use alcohol in our rituals. That whole “I don’t drink for the effect” thing is unnecessarily austere for a lay person, and even Aquinas said “drink to the point of hilarity”. Some of us like our fun. If we’re not hurting ourselves or others then there’s no basis for determining it to be morally illicit. Sin isn’t about rules, it’s about the harm it does. No harm no sin.

There are substantially worse things to worry about than just marijuana in our society where heroin, ecstasy, and cocaine are still burgeoning problems and with His Holiness coming from South America I’m sure he is well aware of the iniquities and injustices that the drug trade causes. In this I believe he is quite right.

At best… I suspect that legalization of marijuana may pull one of the teeth of that trade and (God willing) open up it’s use and development for the many medical uses that have been found so far.

Our Government probably sees it all as a new and thriving source of revenue. No surprise there…

Certainly, the Church is against drunkenness anyway. I don’t have Pope Francis’ actual quote and have yet to see it, but if I may posit - most people who drink alcohol do not become drunk as a result. Responsible use can be healthy and be enjoyed with a meal and not have a “drug” effect. If one is smoking marijuana, one is dong it to get high, no? There really isn’t “responsible” use of marijuana is there (at least when it comes to impairment)? And it’s medicinal qualities can be acquired through other medications that do not cause the high.

Certainly, the Church is against drunkenness anyway. I don’t have Pope Francis’ actual quote and have yet to see it, but if I may posit - most people who drink alcohol do not become drunk as a result. Responsible use can be healthy and be enjoyed with a meal and not have a “drug” effect. If one is smoking marijuana, one is dong it to get high, no? There really isn’t “responsible” use of marijuana is there (at least when it comes to impairment)? And it’s medicinal qualities can be acquired through other medications that do not cause the high.

You sound as though you think alcohol’s drug effect is sinful to seek. We’re not required to be all senses alert 24/7 so minor impairment, within the bounds of prudence, should not be seen as sinful. And a lot of those other medicines physically addict and/or kill.

Impairment isn’t inherently sinful, it’s the loss of the use of reason that is. I got high a few days ago and decided to clean and do my budget. That doesn’t sound very stupefying to me.

Anyways, I feel the Holy Father is going to cause more problems than fix them with this hard-line stance. Six months in jail for a joint sound just and righteous to you?

Also drunk in our culture usually means “really loosened up” but by the Church’s standard drunkenness isn’t a matter of getting a little loud and happy happy happy, it’s a pretty clear-cut “you can’t control yourself anymore” definition.

:thumbsup:

I think where and when you are also matters.

You would have to get seriously drunk to be guilty of sin in our LORD’s day. But someone in 2014 who got “mildly buzzed” and then drove 20 miles from the bar to his home would already be sinning.

ICXC NIKA

And had pot been available would Christ have toked? It’s a poor argument to say that Christ did not smoke when in fact we’re talking about a different culture that had different norms in respect to alcohol and drugs.

From which Church document do you derive this comment out of curiosity?

And yet, our morals derive from Him, and not from our own culture.

If Catholic morals derived from contemporary culture, they would be meaningless.

And we really don’t know what was available to Him. Hash was supposedly available in the region by 300BC. But “getting happy” by pharmaceutical means plays no part in the Gospel.

ICXC NIKA

The Pope should absolutely get on the right side of this issue.

Reading Fr. Dan Farley’s book:
amazon.com/Finding-Darkness-Journey-Through-Stations/dp/0978949978/ref=sr_1_1/177-3247551-2682435?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394645602&sr=1-1

The horrible fight Fr. Farley had with epilepsy, even getting into the seminary and finally ALS after serving his country and his church then died at 56. Cannabis could have saved his life. But OH my can you image a priest smoking pot? Or maybe this young Eagle Scout struggling to control his seizers early in life when nothing worked for him.

Cannabis has been around for 1000’s of years dating back to China in 2727BC. Now there is evidence that cannibis can help ALS. Laws created for cannibis were made out of US profit motives when Dupont discovered oil could make many of the things hemp could make. It was demonized using propaganda and they got away with it. It’s absolutely a gift from God. This man might be alive today.

the international outlawing of cannabis over profiteering has destroyed millions of lives due to prohibition, culture has nothing to do with it. Current culture was born out of prohibition because of the deception by government. Only recent culture is demanding the truth. It’s has been used throughout the world for centuries for many ailments and has been denied to the population for the last 80 years. In which time, cancer, ALS, MS, Epilepsy etc. have all been on the rise.

If Christ was for marijuana, He probably wouldn’t have stopped the adulteress from getting stoned :smiley:

The burden of proof is upon those who claim that weed is a cure for epilepsy, ALS or any other condition.

Nobody in the scientific establishment has held to such.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.