Pope Says Freedom Is Realized in Service

ROME, FEB. 23, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Human beings are truly free when we live in the truth of our dependency on God’s love, count on him to provide all things, and serve others, says Benedict XVI.

The Pope affirmed this Friday in a visit to Rome’s major seminary, in which he delivered a “lectio divina” on the text of St. Paul to the Galatians: “You were called to freedom.”

“At all times,” he noted, “freedom has been humanity’s great dream, since the beginning, but particularly in modern times.”

The Pontiff posed these questions to the seminarians: “What is freedom? How can we be free?”

Referring to St. Paul’s exhortation to not use freedom as an opportunity for the “flesh,” the Holy Father noted that this “flesh” refers to “the absolutizing of the I, of the I that wants to be all and have everything for itself.”

He explained: “In short, the absolute I, which does not depend on anything or anyone, seems really to possess freedom. I am free if I do not depend on anyone, if I can do everything I wish.”

However, he pointed out, this is not freedom but rather the “degradation of man.”

(Excerpt: Complete article here )

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.