Pope says he'd rather trust God than live in bullet-proof bubble

ABOARD THE PAPAL FLIGHT FROM BRAZIL (CNS) – With a few Vatican police standing at attention in the very back of the Alitalia plane flying him back to Rome, Pope Francis told reporters about his security even before being asked.

“My security staff is very, very good and now they are letting me do a little bit more,” but they must do their jobs, which is to protect him, he said.

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1303262.htm

I wonder what John Paul II would say.

If he would prefer to be without the bubble, maybe he could make use of this :wink: :

Truly, viva il Papa.

I <3 Francis. Every time I read something from him I feel so encouraged.

John Paul II was understandably concerned with his personal well-being due to his being shot early in his pontificate. For him, it was properly caring for himself.

Benedict XVI pretty much lived in the Vatican the whole time, so he was used to the extra security protocols established in John Paul’s time.

Francis was pretty much an outsider, however. He really gets a chance to step back and ask, “is this really necessary?”

I’m approximately 100% sure he would rather walk. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

This is the man who rode the public buses as a cardinal in a violence-torn country. I think he does not want to live in a bubble when so many of the faithful are at risk every day. And I admire him for that.

Is anyone concerned that the flipside of his many statements suggests that the previous popes lived in the bubble, separated from the faithful, not in touch with reality? I’m sure this is not the pope’s intention, but I’m nevertheless hearing that.

Sometimes a change is in order, and somebody needs to initiate that change.

I don’t know, I never got the feeling that the 2 previous popes were in a bubble and out of touch with the faithful who live in the ‘outside world’. I’m not sure what kind of change is really needed in that regard. I guess ‘change’ is a catchy word, people like it because it is so vague.

Also, the villas in B.A. are no go areas for anyone without a clerical collar. The gov’t of Argentina sent military police with news crews who wanted to interview the residents after Bergoglio’s election.

Francis is an extrovert and physical contact is a huge part of his pastoral style. There does seem that everyone has found a compromise that works. After seeing how much fun Francis was having, I’m not mourning the loss of the Popemobile.

I’m pretty sure the comment pertains to the vehicle itself. The last century has demonstrated a gradual effacing of the trappings of the papacy. Sedan chairs and tiaras are long gone. Traditional titles are eschewed. It is just in time to usher in an era of simplicity and humility.

One man’s protection is another man’s bubble. Popes have made many changes that contrasted with their beloved predecessors. Everyone is different. We all have different elements of comfort.

Pope St Pius X was a big supporter of frequent reception of the Eucharist. This does not make his predecessors look badly. :slight_smile:

We can accept God’s protection by using the ordinary protective means He places around us. Pope John Paul II started his pontificate with an open car but was shot. Let’s hope that Pope Francis never has a need for going back to the protection of bullet-proof glass.

Leaders in all walks of life - business, government, sports - and even religion - all have different personal and managerial styles. It is clear from his words and actions that Pope Francis is different than his predecessor.

After Pope Benedict’s resignation, but before Pope Francis was elected, didn’t then Cardinal Bergoglio give an impassioned speech to his fellow cardinals detailing what he thought needed changing?

I don’t get the impression that anyone is denigrating his predecessor - I get the impression that people are simply extremely happy with Pope Francis.

Now this would be extraordinary to witness!! We can only pray!

Pax,
Tarpeian

Yep. JPII was maybe not quite as gregarious but he had at least a somewhat similar pastoral style to Francis. More formal but certainly liked to mix in with the people. Getting almost assassinated sometimes makes you re-evaluate the situation; not just for one’s own life but for protecting the flock from losing their leader.

I’m reminded of that old story where a God-fearing man is trapped in his house during a flood. He goes up one floor at a time as the water rises, until he’s forced out of the window in the attic, and must climb out onto the roof.

A boat comes along offering assistance. The man declines, saying, “No, thank you. My Lord will save me.”

A short while later, a small helicopter hovers close, and drops a rope, urging the man to climb to safety. The man declines again, saying, “No, thank you. My Lord will save me.”

The man is soon overtaken by the flood, dies, and stands before God.

“I kept the faith my entire life, never questioning or wavering or going astray. Why then did you not save me when the flood came?”

And God replies, “What more did you want? I sent you a boat and a helicopter!”

God knows we’re crazy. I suspect that’s where the pope-mobile came from. Francis needs to just get in. It’s not for the crackpots who would shoot a pope. It’s for the faithful and the children who need him to stick around.

The allegory doesn’t work for me. On one hand, we have a certain flood destroying everything and everybody in its wake. On the other, we have a cage to protect against a very unlikely scenario.

Children need a papa who will hold them close, worship with them, laugh with them and cry with them.

Buenos Aires is not violent by any means (comparing it with most 3M+ cities, that is). Neither is the country.

This, on the other hand, is 100% accurate. But then again, Pope Francis had been visiting the slums for decades an people knew him and respected him.

I should know. Have lived there for the past 40 years and visit the states and europe at least once every 2 years :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.