Pope says journalism based on fear-mongering, gossip is form of 'terrorism'

reuters.com/article/us-pope-media-idUSKCN11S26D

**Journalism based on gossip or rumors is a form of “terrorism” and media that stereotype entire populations or foment fear of migrants are acting destructively, Pope Francis said on Thursday.

Francis, who made his comments in an address to leaders of Italy’s national journalists’ guild, said reporters had to go the extra mile to seek the truth, particularly in an age of round-the-clock news coverage.

Spreading rumors is an example of “terrorism, of how you can kill a person with your tongue”, he said. “This is even more true for journalists because their voice can reach everyone and this is a very powerful weapon.”**

The article continues at the link.

Pope Francis is right. The media has a responsibility to present news in an unbiased and accurate manner. Real journalism respects facts and avoids additional information like rumors, or as I’ve seen, using fear-mongering for any reason.

Ed

If countries united by a common religion all have terrible records when it comes to how they treat women and homosexuals and how they deal with human rights in general, are the media allowed to say it or is that fear mongering?:rolleyes: I think pope Francis is confusing a number of issues. What’s his holiness’ take on peace and safety in countries where Muslim immigration makes up a large part of the total number of immigrants? You can’t let inside your country masses of people who largely disagree with your core values and who are willing to go to court to change the practices in line with those values. Basic wisdom.news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/niqabs-burkas-must-be-removed-during-citizenship-ceremonies-jason-kenney and then globalnews.ca/news/2269064/zunera-ishaq-takes-citizenship-oath-wearing-niqab-after-challenging-ban/ She’s obviously very thankful to Canada for her new shot at life…

How dare they!

Concerning, considering the Drudge Report seems to be the main source of news for half the posters here. :smiley:

First the media cheerleaders lie to us about a series of pointless, senseless wars, and then they dogpile on top of the brutalized war refugees.

The disconnect and hypocrisy is beyond belief.

And, of course, the mass media never mentions their role, and the fact that they themselves were instrumental in this.

Yeah, that is a word I often used to describe journalists too, terrorists. I have personal reasons for disliking a number of journalists. Perverts is another word I’ll use from time to time.

How do you know that? I do not read just one news source and fact checking takes time.

Ed

Kind of a strange moral equivalence the Pope seems to be making here. Immigrants, especially those from Muslim countries, are causing quite a bit of unrest in Europe. I don’t see how reporting that is equivalent to a terror bombing.

Drudge isn’t a news source. He aggregates stories that interest him from other sources, many of which are mainstream sources like the New York Times, the Washington Post, or CNN.

I think his point was that only a tiny fraction of the refugees are causing problems, and the media is making an already horrible situation far worse by focusing on it in such way that they’re creating a false impression. It’s very difficult to realize the extent to which media shapes our opinions, and by focusing on the luridness of the many dozens of street violence and sex crime incidents that have occurred, it actually does create a false impression. When we’re talking about more than a million people, that really does amount to a tiny fraction. :shrug: It’s actually impossible for a person to really grasp the number one million, when you think about it. We imagine we can grasp it, but it’s only in the most abstract way.

That being said though, I strongly believe it would be a lot better to simply stop driving unimaginably huge migratory numbers of people from their homes in the first place, and to help them rebuild instead. I highly recommend researching Operation Clean Break to whatever degree you can stomach. It’s pretty nauseating. It’s our policy which is aimed at totally destroying and fragmenting the Middle East, and setting in motion forces aimed at creating endless bloodshed and chaos in the entire region.

That’s a good example, thanks. While diplomacy has worked in the past, I don’t think major or minor powers know what to do with peace and stability. Instead, the current plan is an ongoing series of “low-intensity conflicts.” It makes me think of the think tank called The Project for the New American Century. Maintaining or increasing defense spending while incorporating new technologies have bee the primary goals for a period of time long before this group existed.

And actual journalism has degraded in every decade since the late 1970s.

Ed

Libs are still hurting for Drudge breaking the story about Bill Clinton’s indiscretions… and being right about it. That makes him the bad guy.

I dare say this is consensus.

The problem is that words mean things. Terrorism means something, let’s not redefine it and broaden the meaning. I would think that yellow journalism is our real problem.

beats Huff Post or Yahoo news.

Actually, the word terrorism is almost completely meaningless and subjective. It’s that quality which makes it so attractive to those in power, and which makes the word useful and extremely easy to exploit on a permanent and open-ended basis.

Who’s a terrorist? Why, your enemy is, of course!

And no more uniforms. The average terrorist in the Middle East looks exactly like everybody else. So, who do you shoot at? The guys shooting at you? They get the advantage unless we know who they are.

Ed

Yeah, I’m sure you think so. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.