Pope sends 7-minute video message to Pentecostal gathering [CWN]

Pope Francis has sent a seven-minute video message to a Pentecostal gathering sponsored by Kenneth Copeland Ministries.During the message, the Pope emphasized that Christians are …

More…

Here’s the video. His Holiness up close calling for unity.

Here’s the video. His Holiness hopes for unity and asks for prayers.

Link doesn’t work. Here’s one that does.

firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2014/02/we-know-pope-francis

Thanks, SH.

The Pentecostal response is here: youtube.com/watch?v=b5TwrG8B3ME.

Tony Palmer gives a lengthy introduction. The Pope’s video starts around 31 minutes. And the Pentecostal response begins around 38:44.

I’m still digesting the video. I am glad that he spoke in Italian so there would be less analyzing of words, looking for double meanings, and I’m glad that the Holy Father discussed brotherhood and unity.

But: Kenneth Copeland Ministries isn’t a church, it’s a movement. It continues to encourage people to reject the Eucharist, Sacred Tradition…and even causes its members to say that Catholics aren’t Christians.

I’m not clear why the holy Father would address a “minor” American religious movement leader through Fr. Palmer.

I’m all for Fr. Palmer’s ministry (had to look up his mission), but what, are the practical steps in reconciling understanding two systems of belief that are so wildly opposed? Starting with recognizing brothers is laudable, but is there a practical way to go forward to heal these divisions at such a high level?

Uhmm . . . Kenneth Copeland is not a “minor” American religious leader. He is one of the most recognized and influential leaders in the Word of Faith movement, which is a significant and growing segment of the Pentecostal/charismatic world, which itself is one of if not the most fastest growing denomination in Christianity.

And Pentecostals like Kenneth Copeland are much less hostile to the Catholic Church than people give them credit for. Copeland actually defended the Catholic Church when John Hagee was on his program once. Copeland said, “The Roman Church at this time is filled with people that love God with all their heart” and went on to praise the Catholic Church for supporting the Charismatic Renewal.

Thanks!

New Advent’s home page had a link to Kathy Schiffer’s blog. Very good. patheos.com/blogs/kathyschiffer/2014/02/pope-francis-to-pentecostal-conference-tears-of-love-spiritual-hugs/

In her blog she included some of the comments to the conference attendees made by Anthony Palmer, bishop and international ecumenical officer for the Communion of Evangelical Episcopal Churches:

• “Brothers and sisters, Luther’s protest is over. Is yours?” *
    and
    *“We are not protesting the doctrine of salvation [taught] by the Catholic Church anymore,” “We now preach the same Gospel.”

Praise God. Dear Lord, please make us one again.
Eph 4:1-6 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness, with patience, forbearing one another in love,* eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all.** *

Thanks, Nita! I was looking for a context as to how this came about. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I just love this video! Pope Francis, thank you so much for this! I told my Pentecostal family about it and they were really impressed by what he said. This is so encouraging for Catholic-Pentecostal relations.

I watched this video yesterday. I struggled a little during the first 10+ minutes or so, and then just decided to take a deep breath and watch it all the way through…after all, Raymond Arroyo posted it…

I thought Tony did a pretty good job at addressing his audience, but there were a few remarks that I struggled with…no biggie!

However, at the conclusion of the video of Pope Francis, Kenneth Copeland went into prayer, as the pope had asked for them to do…“Please pray for me” .

Kenneth said to his audience “Come on, the man asked us to pray for him”…“Oh Father, Father we answer his request, and since we know not how to pray for him, how we ought but then to agree with him in his quest, in his heart for the unity of the body of Christ we come together in the unity of our faith…Hallelujah…according to scripture when we know not how we ought to pray, we pray for him in the spirit”

(kinda cool to watch someone speak in tongues. I hadn’t seen that since I was a child)

Anyway, I’m sorry, I don’t follow this prayer…especially this part of it… “and since we know not how to pray for him, how we ought” can someone help me understand.?

I do pray for unity with all Christians…and always pray for the persecuted Christians…

:thumbsup:

That’s based upon the following scripture.
Romans 8:26

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

***26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. ***

That does not mean that we must pray in tongues, but that the Holy Spirit will supply the timing and proper intentions to all our prayers. Glossolalia is only one part of that and is the trademark of Pentecostalism.

The word of faith movement is not one that rings true to the Word of God. If we were meant to never have any problems or tribulations in our lives, then what was with all those martyrs in the first 300 years of our most holy faith? :eek:

We Catholics will surely be used by God to show them how Christians endure to the end when things go crazy in the world.

Still, it great that we have His Holiness speaking out as he has, though I feel sure that the hard shell a-Cs will jump on this like a bear on a hare. You can expect Mike Gendron to absolutely go off about it on his blog and in his next newsletter. :rolleyes: But what’s new about that? He goes off on everything that we do.

Glossolalia is only one part of that and is the trademark of Pentecostalism.

To be fair, the Pope spoke in an earthly “language of the heart,” in a language the audience largely didn’t understand. It was just missing the rest of 2Cor14 and didn’t provide interpretation or subtitles.

Word of faith movement is not one that rings true to the Word of God. If we were meant to never have any problems or tribulations in our lives, then what was with all those martyrs in the first 300 years of our most holy faith? :eek:

To be fair, all Christians share the faith of the Martyrs.

I want to say that since we are now “officially and formally” praying for our separated brethren (thought we always had), what are the steps for reunion, or is this an exercise in ‘tolerance?’

When Mr. Copeland reads John 6 as literally as Mark 24:11, call me.

Yes, we are going in the correct direction, but we have been going in the correct direction long before the inception – and necessity – of Catholic Answers. I don’t want people to convert, I am praying for them to revert [to the Mother of all Christian faiths]. I know, I know, I sound like a hard liner. I’m not. I’ve seen more come from one on one dialogue than the leaders of anything making sincere, but token, gestures.

As another poster said, it’s based on Romans 8:26. Pentecostals do believe that praying in tongues can be a means to pray the perfect will of the Father because the speaking in tongues is given “as the Spirit gives utterance.”

Most likely, Copeland was just being honest that he has no idea what kind of battles, challenges, and struggles the Pope goes through and rather than just pray a nice, respectful prayer in English that may not really cut to the real needs of the Pope, Copleand thought it would be appropriate for the congregation to offer a more direct and accurate form of intercession through praying in the Spirit.

I have to say I’m surprised by how little attention this is getting.

Me too.

By now many are past being surprised by the Holy Father.

I grew up in the pentecostal tradition, which is predominantly and viciously anti-Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.