Pope sends cardinals to Syria to promote peace, show solidarity

Pope sends cardinals to Syria to promote peace, show solidarity

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – A papal delegation of bishops, including Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan of New York, will travel to the capital of war-torn Syria in late October to show solidarity with victims and encourage peace negotiations.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, made the announcement Oct. 16 at the evening session of the world Synod of Bishops.

“In the certainty that the only possible solution to the crisis is a political solution, and bearing in mind the immense suffering of the population, the fate of displaced persons, and the future of that nation, it has been suggested that our synodal assembly express its solidarity,” Cardinal Bertone said.

Let’s pray for their success and safety!

This seems strange.

Who will they show solidarity with ?

The rebels who are infiltrated and supported by Al Qaeda and who will kill Christians if they win, or the government forces?

Jim

Good luck with that. I don’t see any reason why either the al-Assads or the jihadists would want to listen to a bunch of Western religious leaders.

I grieve for Syria. I was there three times, before Hafez al-Assad died. Granted, the regime was despotic, but I could walk between my hotel and my work site at any hour, day or night, without fear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.