Pope "Still Weighing" Document on Latin Mass

From Catholic World News today (Feb. 5):

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=49068

Feb. 5, 2007 (CWNews.com) - "Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news) is “taking his time arriving at a decision” about the release of a motu proprio authorizing broader use of the Tridentine Mass, according to a French cardinal.

In an interview published in the French Catholic paper La Croix, Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard of Bordeaux confirmed that Pope Benedict has received a final report from the Ecclesia Dei Commission-- of which he is a member-- regarding the proposed policy. “The Pope has all the elements of the dossier in his hands,” the said. In November 2006, as rumors swirled that the motu proprio could be released imminently, Cardinal Ricard had assured the members of the French bishops’ conference that no document was imminent. He reported that the French hierarchy would have time to “convey our fears and hopes” to the Vatican before a final decision was made on the use of the traditional Latin liturgy.

The Ecclesia Dei Commission met last December 12 to discuss the proposed papal document. After that meeting Cardinal Jorge Medina Estevez, a member of the commission and a former prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship, said that he did not think there would be any need for the group to confer again on that topic-- suggesting that the decision was then left up to the Pope."

What might be important here is that Cardinal Ricard had previously denied that a Moto Propio was imminent, and now he is confirming that the Pope is, in fact, studying such a document.

bump

Hmmmm, seems the originial rumors were wrong.

They said that this document was already signed and that the pope was waiting for the “right time” to release it.

Now the rumormill has it that the pope has yet to make a decision.

Very humorous to watch the rumors run and change.

What might be important here is that Cardinal Ricard had previously denied that a Moto Propio was imminent, and now he is confirming that the Pope is, in fact, studying such a document.

Not improtant. If he did deny that a Moto Propio was imminent then this quote from him fits that. The pope is studying it and has yet to make a decision. To me that says that the document is not imminent.

Well, at least it seems to provide more evidence that such a document does at least exist and is a possibility, even if it isn’t imminent…

I saw a blog post the other day where someone posted a random date generator for the publication of the anticipated motu proprio. We’ll get just as valid a prediction – no worse, at least – through randomness than whatever the new date of expectation is.

I have felt since the beginning of this whole episode that the entire thing was a trial balloon sent up by the Vatican to gauge public opinion on the issue.

It’s my impression that comments from the various bishops are delaying it until it either goes away or is watered down beyond all usefulness.:frowning:

A bit more action on the part of his Emminence:

“Personal parish” for French Latin Mass Catholics

A French Cardinal who has created a “personal” or non-territorial Tridentine rite parish in his diocese says that Pope Benedict has now received a commission report regarding the broader use of the pre-Vatican II Mass but that the Pontiff will take his time deliberating.

French Catholic newspaper La Croix reports that the “personal parish” was created in Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard’s archdiocese of Bordeaux under Canon 518 of the Code of Canon Law within the context of a convention between the diocese and the Institute of the Good Shepherd, founded by a former Lefebvrist priest and canonically erected by the Holy See in September 2006.

tee
Still predicting “Novemeber”, because it is [thread=122714]traditional[/thread]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.