Pope to Africa: Condoms could make your AIDS problem worse

Pope Benedict XVI has said that handing out condoms is not the answer in the fight against HIV/Aids, as he makes his first visit to Africa as pontiff.
Speaking en route to Cameroon, he said distribution of condoms “increases the problem”. The Vatican urges abstinence.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7947460.stm

Yes, abstinence is the safest way to avoid the spread of AIDS.

Here is Roland Martin’s commentary on the issue:

cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/martin.condoms/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

What is amazing to me are those who truly (seem) to believe that “abstinence” is out of the question.

Like animals.

Nobody can control themselves.

The only atheist I’ve ever known had this mindset. There is no such thing as controlling yourself, so condoms are necessary.

We’re in a mess. Come, Lord Jesus!

+Love and Peace in Christ Jesus, this Lent. -Dawn

This is just one result of separating yourself from Christ’s Church, and going off on your own, when you believe you are right, and Christ’s Church is wrong.

The lack of “Wisdom.”

God Bless.

Self-denial *is *becoming increasingly rare. And so that I don’t inadvertently seem a hypocrite, I’ll come out and say that I struggle with asceticism, as well.

However, I recently heard on Catholic Radio that if people are willing to stop eating carbs in order to lose weight, or willing to start exercising more in order to strengthen their heart, then why can’t they remain abstinent, which is also good for their bodies and souls?

I guess, to paraphrase Merton, the moment a penitential act is labelled “penitential,” its weight becomes far too burdensome whereas, in other circumstances, we would have no problem enduring uncomfortable positions and dispositions to meet our own selfish ends.

For many people, abstinence is unrealistic.

The sex drive is one of the strongest needs the body has. (First, of course is breathing; then food.)

People will die for sex the drive is that strong. A moth to the flame.

How much impact does the church’s position on condoms actually have in Africa? It certainly doesn’t stop the vast majority of American Catholics from using condoms. I wonder if anyone has done research about what impact, if any, would there be if the church was to condone condom use for hiv .

You mean unstable people, right?

This Martin says,

"The church has long been opposed to the use of condoms and other forms of birth control because it strongly believes that sex is for procreation and enriching the union of a married couple. But for the church to continue to ignore the definitive research that condoms play a huge role in decreasing the spread of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases is mind-boggling."cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/martin.condoms/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The so-called definitive research that condoms play… is actually empty and simply attempts to put “dignity” to redundancy. The Church keeps proclaiming its stand on various, if not all, issues affecting morality. But had Martin conducted a research as to the percentage of Christians who strictly follow those teachings, he would probably be amazed if he should know that the percentage is negligible to cause negative impact to condom researches. The Church continuous to be like a prophet shouting in the desert, almost no one listens to her. And yet, Martin seems to give extra repulsion to what the Church is doing! It could therefore be said that Martin is doing this not so much of the Church impact on condoms, but he and those like him is jealous of the Church, specially of her ability to exercise unbelievable power of self-control. Martin and those like him could not imagine self-control power, therefore they might as well “attack” as wrong those who have that self-control power to maintain abstinence. Could be that this how they think.

Are you out of your mind? People do not die for sex, they assume their invulnerability, or their insight, or whatever. They do not die for sex–they *lie *for sex.

Oh, for the “Days” when Monarchs looked to the Pope for direction and advice!

The Church-Christ’s True Church, was the Authority on earth, as was planned by God. Still is.

…then, there’s Pride…

God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.