Pope to beatify Newman on the bridge of the starship Enterprise

Wonder if Spock will be there.

hancaquam.blogspot.com/2010/09/pope-to-beatify-newman-on-bridge-of.html

I believe Cardinal Newman would be spinning in his grave if he wasn’t currently experiencing the eternal joys of the mid-glory. :slight_smile: Oddly enough, the first thing I thought when I saw that image was “aeroplane hanger”. :mad:

Looking at the the Blog picture its hardly resemblance of any Star-ship.

Why would a supposedly Catholic Blog-spot even want to post this kind of media-hype
that one is accustom to seeing in tabloids? Oh well inquiry minds want to know.
If you ask me its a joke.

“Damn it, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a liturgical architect!”

:clapping::rotfl:

-wow. that’s pretty odd. I thought it was a spoof from the Onion or something.
I though Newman was already a saint…or am I thinking of another Newman?

St John Neumann

tee

I regret the canonization of Newman :frowning:

His book on development of doctrine is the foundation of most of the theological problems today:

“Cardinal Newman is one of the most respected converts to the Catholic Church in recent times and is now up for beatification. While we appreciate his devotional books and apologies, we strongly object to making his book on the “Development of Christian Doctrine” as a tome equal to the heights of Aquinas or other Doctors of the Church, which is not only overstated but dangerous to the Faith. Newman has been raised to the height of Venerable and soon to be Beatified but this can not be assumed as an endorsement of all his writings.”
catholicvox.blogspot.com/2009/07/john-henry-newmans-essay-on-development.html

After the Papal visit, it’ll be turned into a MacDonalds. Or an abortion mill. sigh:blush::shrug:

It is rather interestng, isn’t it. :confused:

What is the disc behind the crucifix?

I don’t do well with drawings. I need to see an actual photograph to understand all of the pieces or parts of the thing. From the drawing it just looks like too much blue and white. Other than that big disc, that I can’t make out, the rest is actually a canopy. I just hope that it’s not all blue and white. That can be rather annoying, especially too much white on a bright day. Then again, having been in the UK, they don’t have too many bright days in England.

We’ll have to wait and see. But if someone can tell me what the disc is, I’ll be grateful. My curiosity is killing me.

:mad: Darn it, now I have to go on my knees and ask my brothers for a penance for being curious.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :frowning:

We’ll have to wait and see. But if someone can tell me what the disc is, I’ll be grateful. My curiosity is killing me.

Well, it’s an architectural design element and doesn’t necessarily “mean” anything. It looks as if it’s merely there to highlight the (incongruously dull-looking) crucifix in front of it. Perhaps it’s also meant to evoke the Host. It also appears that it may be an acoustical enhancement device.

What, really, does one expect from any of these stages they erect for travelling popes when they celebrate Masses in sports stadiums, for goodness sake? How dignified can you really make a Mass on a soccer field? They’re all ugly in the context of and in comparison with a Papal Mass, but if someone designed that same sanctuary as a stage for a rock concert, nobody would object; in that context it looks quite lovely, actually.

Perhaps the fact of the matter is simply that the papacy doesn’t really belong in a sporting arena, and when you force the sacred to fit within the profane, the results are never going to be satisfying, from an aesthetical perspective. I personally find these massive papal liturgies in ballparks to be unfortunate, to be frank. I think they demean the papacy and make it common.

It used to be, once upon a time, that one went to the Pope; the Pope did not come to you. And I think that was a better way of presenting the papacy, to be honest.

I do not know. Mr. Spock is Jewish.

Yup its just a “mirror” to reflect sound to the congregation.

What, really, does one expect from any of these stages they erect for travelling popes when they celebrate Masses in sports stadiums, for goodness sake? How dignified can you really make a Mass on a soccer field? They’re all ugly in the context of and in comparison with a Papal Mass, but if someone designed that same sanctuary as a stage for a rock concert, nobody would object; in that context it looks quite lovely, actually.

Exactly! I can’t understand all the hate. However, I think it would be an absolute shame to build a truly magnificent sanctuary, only to tear it down immediately after the mass!

Alternatively, since the mass is being held in an outdoor park, not a stadium, I’ve speculated that it might be left standing as a permanent bandstand, in which case its design, as you’ve said about its appearance, is entirely appropriate.

The important thing about this image of the alter is that it is a cheap computer rendering of a simple roof under which to hold the papal mass. As a computer rendering, it will always not look quite right. I have done similar work as an engineering student, such as below:

The rendering isn’t perfect, and the sidewalk simply doesn’t look quite real, but it gives an idea of what the final product will look like. So please be charitable when judging the design of the Papal alter (and my sidewalk :blush:) based on the provided image!

A-ha! Very interesting. Thank you for posting this.:slight_smile:

Starship Enterprise ?

Mr. Spock ?

What the heck is everybody talking about??

Also I think the lines in the original rendering are too sharp and the colors too darn bright!

If you tone them down a bit, I think the design becomes at least palatable (or at least won’t hurt your eyes)

Great Scott !!

That does look “space age” or Ultra modern or something:confused:

As a matter of fact it looks the the “jumper” on Stargate SG-1.:slight_smile:

As a matter of fact it looks the the “jumper” on Stargate SG-1

I understand the Pope’s driver will be Lt. Col. John Sheppard.:wink:

:rotfl::rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.