Pope to Notre Dame: Be uncompromising witnesses

(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Thursday met with a delegation from the University of Notre Dame (USA) on the occasion of the inauguration of the University’s “Rome Center.”

"The Pope also spoke about the vision of Notre Dame’s founder, Father Edward Sorin, a member of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, calling it “central to the University’s distinctive identity and its service to the Church and American society.” Referring to the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii gaudium, he spoke about “the missionary dimension of Christian discipleship,” which “ought to be reflected in a special way in Catholic universities.” “Essential in this regard,” he continued, “is the uncompromising witness of Catholic universities to the Church’s moral teaching, and the defense of her freedom, precisely in and through her institutions, to uphold that teaching as authoritatively proclaimed by the magisterium of her pastors.” Pope Francis said, “It is my hope that the University of Notre Dame will continue to offer unambiguous testimony to this aspect of its foundational Catholic identity, especially in the face of efforts, from whatever quarter, to dilute that indispensable witness.”

en.radiovaticana.va/m_articolo.asp?c=768716

:clapping: :yup: :dancing: :extrahappy: :love::harp::knight2::amen:

Sounds like someone’s hands were smacked!

:hmmm: ya tink :stuck_out_tongue:

thats gotta hurt !!! :ouch:

Dear Holy Father,

Please do the same for the Catholic-in-name-only colleges in my country which have promoted the gay agenda, staged the “V-Monologues”, deleted the word purity from their students’ anthem, practiced Islamic and Hindu syncretism, promoted immorality, and still say “Lord, Lord.”

:crying: :gopray2:

Thank you for posting that. I think Pope Francis is taking it one step at a time - with simple clarity.

God bless Pope Francis,

Ed

One can only hope so.

I hope this encourages other Catholic schools to take heart as well.

Like that high school in Seattle that was being protested for firing it’s vice-principal for his homosexual marriage. This statement from the Pope should strengthen them and take the wind out of the sails of the protesters.

:thumbsup:

Ahh, nothing like Catholic schattenfreude. I’m not joyful when I see the prodigal son eating pig slop, whether it be a person or an institution.

I pray for the college to take this gentle and very public correction with grace, fortitude, and a workable plan to move forward by relying on the original tenets and intentions of its mission.

Perhaps the wording of the address was appropriate, but personally, specific examples noted in what an “uncompromising witness” consists of would have been nice. It should be obvious, but unfortunately, I think these things need to be spelled out for them.

As a “double-Domer” (BA '99, JD '02), I really appreciate this gentle reminder.

I’d also like to share this except from a Cardinal Newman Society interview with ND’s Fr. Bill Miscamble, CSC (former history dept. chair and rector of the seminary on campus):

Q: Institutions like Notre Dame have been built on the backs of, and donations of, faithful Catholics, yet many have abandoned that heritage. How do we gain these institutions back?

A: Some are too far gone, but Notre Dame is not one of those. There is a battle over this place. How do we get them back? We have to understand what is going on within them and fight for them. We cannot be content that there’s a nice Catholic campus ministry and a nice Church on campus. We have to demand that they provide an authentic Catholic education for our students. That’s not going to be an easy fight.

Q: Where do you see signs of hope at Notre Dame?

A: In the presence of an increasing number of younger committed faculty, who want to take up the fight and are willing to do it. We have faculty who have given up tenured positions elsewhere to come. They know there’s a fight going on, but they want to contribute. There’s hope in the good number of students involved in groups like our Right to Life organization. We had between 500-600 students attend the March for Life this year.

There are people here who want to engage. I don’t think our trustees get it sufficiently enough, and the administration has made a number of major mistakes, so we have a long way to go. The administration thinks it can finesse the issue by having a nice front or bringing in a good speaker – but the fundamental issues must be confronted; it can’t just be finessed or tweaked. It has to be confronted directly and soon. We need to be upfront as an Ex corde Ecclesiae university. We don’t have to invent something. Ex corde Ecclesiae gives us a fine guide to work from and towards.

More at cardinalnewmansociety.org/CatholicEducationDaily/DetailsPage/tabid/102/ArticleID/2394/Battling-for-the-Heart-and-Soul-of-Notre-Dame-An-Interview-with-Father-Bill-Miscamble-CSC.aspx

I praise Francis for his gentle rebuke, for a calling home and not a calling out. That we could all be so kind!

I believe that that high school needs a smacking also. Right afterthat, they offered a contract to a lesbian teacher saying it was a different circumstance,

Was she married? Plan to marry? Living with her partner? Or is she afflicted with SSA and chaste?

I don’t know much about it, but the school’s board of trustees did decide that they would not re-hire the VP they had fired, so they did stand up for Church teaching in that one instance at least :shrug:

mynorthwest.com/11/2440381/Eastside-Catholic-School-will-not-rehire-gay-vice-principal

But yeah, that kind of seems like asking for trouble.

I found this excerpt of the Pope’s words valuable: “Essential…is the uncompromising witness…to the Church’s moral teaching…”

I mean there it is––deference to the Church’s teaching with regard to morality. This quote is in a sense a rebuttal to anyone who has attempted to misconstrue Pope Francis’ fidelity to Church teaching, and who expects or “hopes” he might “change” Church teaching. And yes, I realize those persons are unaware that he “cannot” change Church teaching. But the quote is valuable nonetheless. It goes well with a prior quote of his regarding being a “son of the Church.”

By the way, the end of this report says, "The full English translation of the Pope Francis’ Address can be found in the “Vatican” section of our website. "

I’m having trouble finding that. Anyone?

EDIT: Found it here. Not where I thought, but regardless… :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.