Pope urges families to have fewer kids ?

Is ‘pope urges families to have fewer kids’ fake news ? I can’t find source of that information , it’s all over internet

This comes from botanist-activist Peter Raven, who recently participated in a panel discussion at the Vatican. He does not offer any specific quote from the Pope. In any case, European birth rates are already so low that their native populations are collapsing. The very last thing that they need to do is to have even fewer children.

lifesitenews.com/news/francis-praised-by-population-controller-at-vatican-workshop-for-urging-us
“‘Pope Francis has urged us to have fewer children,’ claims Vatican academy member”

I really wish people would stop sharing lifesitenews like it’s gospel

As of now, I haven’t seen a quote like that directly from the Pope.

Keep in mind the Pope has been misquoted and misunderstood many times by those who have an agenda.

If the Vatican is going to invite these folks, then these are the answers they are going to get.

It’s really not rocket science to know who Peter Raven and Paul Ehrlich are and what they stand for.

I haven’t made my associations with atheists and gay conservatives a secret on here lately, but I do need to point out I’m also not fooled or hoodwinked by what and who they are and what they stand for.

I can’t find a source for this either, but I heard that Pope Francis encouraged all Catholics to convert to Hinduism and become vegans.

Im begging to ponder the idea of not reading anymore news for a while. It is getting more depressing by the day.

Even if the Pope didn’t directly make the quote, his agreement with such sentiments can be implied by analyzing the views of the members of the conference that were invited by the Vatican. Perhaps the Pope is tacitly advocating for some kind of population control; perhaps he is not. But I don’t think it can really be conclusively determined at this point unless some kind of definitive statement is made by the Vatican.

The Pope definitely did reiterate that Catholics can licitly space children and limit the size of their families…but he did so while in the Philippines where the birth rate is quite high and poverty a very real concern. I think our situation in the Western world is very different.

:thumbsup:

I wish LifeSiteNews would stop writing like they have the full weight of the Magisterium, including infallibility.

We need to stop viewing everything Pope Francis says through the lens of modern Western Culture and politics, especially American liberal vs conservative.

This is a direct quote from the Holy Father. :cool:

"A society with a greedy generation, that doesn’t want to surround itself with children, that considers them above all worrisome, a weight, a risk, is a depressed society, the choice to not have children is selfish. Life rejuvenates and acquires energy when it multiplies: It is enriched, not impoverished.”

From the Guardian

Is it? Catholics here can licitly space and limit children via NFP. It seems like he just reiterated a universal message to people it would be most relevant to at the moment.

More like gossip!!! God Bless, Memaw

Yes that is true.

Too often people often misinterpret the Church’s stance on children as having as many of them as possible. This is not the case, hence the Pope’s statement on the Church not requiring faithful Catholics to “breed like rabbits”.

Being open to life does not equate to breeding like rabbits.

IIRC despite the ‘don’t have to breed like rabbits’ comment the Pope has specifically criticized low/declining birth rates in Europe on more than one occasion.

That’s certainly true, but it could be at least in part due to language problems. The Pope gives his statements in languages other than English and they have to translate them, which adds a bit more to confuse folks.

No no no, you got it wrong. He wants us to become Raelians and Breatharians.

Meh. Someone misquotes the Pope to advance their own agenda. Film at eleven.

What can I say? He changes his mind a lot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.