Pope warns Catholic Church may fall ‘like a house of cards’ if it continues its obsession with abortion, gay marriage and contraception

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425628/Pope-warns-Catholic-Church-fall-like-house-cards-continues-obsession-abortion-gay-marriage-contraception.html

Pope Francis said he wanted to reform the church which gets caught up in ‘small minded things’
The extraordinary remarks were made during a 12,000 word interview to mark six months in the church’s top job

This is the New York Times version of what he said. If you read what he really said, he emphasized penitence and forgiveness for sin. He did not say sin is not sin or that we need to avoid speaking the truth about it.

I’m not sure to whom the “house of cards” remark was aimed. Perhaps to rigid, unforgiving folk, perhaps to a concept.

It’s almost as sure as sunrise and sunset that the secular media will misrepresent and twist what the Pope says. So, I urge everyone to search for the full transcript of what Pope Francis actually said, and read it. And read his encyclical since that carries a lot more weight than a statement supposedly made in an interview. I think the media shows their dishonesty and desperation in how they grasp at straws with random interviews rather than reporting on what Pope Francis has said in his official encyclical letter.

From the interview: “We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.

I think he is saying that rather than making of the Church a set of unrelated, decontextualized rules, we must proclaim Christ’s love. It is for His love and for our love for Him that we act in a moral way, a way pleasing to Him, not because we are forced to follow arbitrary rules for no particular reason.

I have read the interview and I am immensely disappointed in Pope Francis.

I am not yet sure what I make of Pope Francis himself - he seems to be a very holy person - but this interview, whatever his motivations in giving it, is disastrous. The Pope has handed a club to others with which they will beat the Church. The Pope has turned his rhetorical guns on his own soldiers fighting in the trenches of the culture wars on the 3 hardest issues: abortion, gay marriage and contraception. It really is a disastrous interview. The Pope is very poorly advised and his words cannot be “unspun” by well meaning Catholic apologists trying to make the best of a terrible and quite indulgent interview.

I feel quite upset as one of those who has taken, publicly, the Bible and the Church’s position on abortion, gay marriage and other issues. Imagine being a young devout Catholic at a university today? All of your liberal friends would be saying “even the Pope does not agree with you”. All because the Pope gave this terrible interview and decided to weigh in on gay priests on his trip home from WYD. Why? What good do these interviews do? How does it help anyone?

Please some of the Cardinals go and speak with the Pope. No more of this please. Evangelize the world - do not be evangelized by the world.

So discouraged by what I assume was a well meaning statement by an obviously holy man.:frowning:

I think a key part of what Pope Francis said is: “The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.”

What Pope Francis said is true. But it is easy for the media to pull one statement out of context and twist it.

And I would argue that those who call themselves “Pro-Choice” and who are for so-called “same-sex marriage” are the ones who are most obsessed with abortion, gay marriage and contraception.

The comments seem to play into every liberal or liberal catholic around. As someone else said, soon we will have liberals saying, “why do you focus so much on abortion, gays, etc.? Even the Pope says we shouldn’t focus on these.” Even if the comments were taken out of context it seems a bad choice of words. Too bad. That is how I take it. Or am I wrong?

Ishii

We have clearly read different interviews. I cannot conceive how any Catholic reads the full interview and does not wince, even a little.

But if you think the Pope wins any affection from his own flock by telling those Catholics who labor in the harsh fields of fighting abortion, gay marriage and contraception, that they are “small minded”, then you are delusional.

This is a worse own goal than Pope Benedict lifting the excommunication on the wacko SSPX holocaust denier. This is our own Pope’s vanity overcoming his job. I am very disappointed as a Catholic and I have every right to be so.

I think Pope Francis may have meant it for the reporters who keep asking him about abortion, “gays”, and contraception. He may have been trying to tell the interviewing reporters to stop asking him questions about these subjects over and over again when he’s already given them an answer. It could have been like saying “we can’t be obsessed with these questions, so stop asking them!” But, either way, it’s not the silver bullet that the liberals have been looking for since interviews don’t change doctrine. The encyclical that the Pope came out with was the big moment when he showed what he would change and what would stay the same. And he changed nothing.

I hear you.
Bad enough that a young Catholic sticks his neck out on the block for issues that come directly from submission to the church. It is definitely not a way to win friends and influence people among the under 25 crowd.
But for the pope to be the one that swings the axe has really got to hurt.

I think the Pope knows what he is doing. I take offense at the statement that he is ill-advised. Please consider your own words.

You haven’t noticed how he IS winning friends and influencing people?

Already being discussed in Catholic News

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.