Pope warns on new eugenics based on beauty

Pope warns on new eugenics based on beauty
Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08pm EST

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict said on Saturday there were worrying signs of a new type of eugenics based on perfection and physical beauty.

“Certainly, the eugenistic and racial ideologies that in the past humiliated man and provoked immense suffering are not being proposed again, but a new mentality is creeping in that tends to justify a different consideration of life and personal dignity,” the pope said in a speech to the Pontifical Academy for Life.

A part of this “new eugenics” is a cult of choice. Parents have the “right” to choose their child’s gender and other traits they consider important. People have a “right” to choose to “enhance” themselves with new technologies. All of this regardless of what impact it would have on society, those that choose not to, etc. Here is an older but still interesting article: timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=105415&sectioncode=26

Eugenics based on beauty? It will never fly.
Everyone knows that if you want to be happy for the rest of your life - you should never make a pretty woman your wife.

And what happened to the value of the tale of Beauty and the Beast?

Seriously? The warning is real but how can any of us stop this horrid mindset of unnatural selection?

I don’t know if we can. Maybe it will just have to backfire before people realize the horror of it all and reject it. I sometimes worry that the 21st century will be scarier and more dangerous than the 20th century.

What I mean to say is that most people still value the uniqueness of every individual.

Wisemen know that aesthetics is only skin deep.

People generally celebrate the unique beauty inside which radiates to the outside.

And on and on…

Besides…who would want to argue with Mister Rogers?

Backfire indeed! One only needs a tiny stretch of the imagination to see what a sour plan it is to have only ‘beautiful’ people inhabit the earth. Besides - just look at how standards of beauty have changed throughout history? What is in fashion one year goes out of fashion the next. Garments we can change. Bodies we can’t change.

It’s you I like,
It’s not the things you wear,
It’s not the way you do your hair–
But it’s you I like
The way you are right now,
The way down deep inside you–
Not the things that hide you,
Not your toys–
They’re just beside you.

But it’s you I like–
Every part of you,
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you’ll remember
Even when you’re feeling blue
That it’s you I like,
It’s you yourself,

By Fred Rogers :slight_smile:

Haha! And just after we engineer a generation of supermodel toothpicks, Rubenesque comes back!

Thank you so much for posting that!!! :smiley: I wish Mr. Rogers were Catholic only so he could be Sainted (capital S, he’s already a lower-cased saint in my book). What he did for so long in teaching children (who eventually grow up to be adults) their own unique value, along with the value of emotions and being RESPONSIBLE for those emotions (hence the song “What Do You Do With the Mad You Feel?”… ok to be MAD and downright angry :mad: … just don’t bite anyone :D) has done me a great service. I dare say he has done many generations a great service. I cried the day he passed, for sorrow that the future generations wouldn’t have such a great living role-model. They only get a chance to see my favorite neighbor in reruns.

The quote in my signature was given at the Commencement Address of Dartmouth in 2002. So is the following quote:

“When I say it’s you I like, I’m talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed.”

More of Mr. Roger’s wisdom:

“You know, you don’t have to look like everybody else to be acceptable and to feel acceptable.”

“If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”

“It would have been sad for me to spend my life just trying to superimpose stuff on people rather than trying to encourage them to look within themselves for what’s of value.”

Sorry I got a little carried away :blushing:… It’s always nice to see another Mr. Roger fan, and to share a little about him to others.

God Bless!
Ericka

I totally agree. I love Mr. Rogers. I fancied myself “too old” (at 7) to watch him when he first came out, but rediscovered him when my son was small. I truly wish the world were like The Land of Make Believe, where even Lady Elaine Fairchild is accepted by all. :smiley:

RIP Mr. Rogers.

Not at all! Mr. Roger had alota’ love and did not hesitate to share. He would want us to continue sharing his love and simple wisdom :grouphug:

youtube.com/watch?v=29lmR_357rA

Blaming Rogers?

As for Beauty…

[quote=“Belle” in Beauty and The Beast]Beauty is found within
[/quote]

God Bless.

Chris.

That is a horrible, horrible video, and the first 10 seconds was blatenly untrue… I couldn’t even stand to watch the rest of it. Them stating that the “problems” of today’s society is because of Mr. Roger’s always saying “You’re special by just you being yourself, and I like you just the way you are” is missing the rest of the story and obviously did not listen close enough to songs such as “What Do You Do (With the Mad That You Feel)”. I remember more than one episode that talked about divorce and going to the doctor and many scary, scary things that kids face today, and the one thing I remember the most that Mr. Roger’s said that we should talk about those feelings, to not bottle them up, and that everyone… EVERYONE feels the same at times. There was emphasis on the individual. But I remember very well the emphasis that EVERYONE is his neighbor, and we’re all in this together.

He taught me and so many people in my generation (and the generations before me) that is it alright to cry, to express feelings, to let someone know that you were mad. He also taught me that it was not alright to always act on those feelings. That just because I wanted to hit and bite my siblings and have a huge temper tantrum wasn’t a good reason at all to act on that. That I needed to exercise self-dicipline and find other, and better ways to work out my feelings, because if I didn’t, others (his neighbors, too) would have to do the same.

I see your horribly inaccurate FOX News report and raise you the words from the late Mr. Rogers himself. And just remember, that because others have had faulty interpretations and implementations of his messages doesn’t make the message itself faulty. I’m sure as a Catholic, you face this from time to time (ie, especially in discussing the Crusades and Inquisitions with non-Catholics).

May God bless you!
Ericka

Yes, it’s really disgusting on what they are saying, it made me angry hearing it… Mr. Roger’s is, and always was great. God Bless him.

God bless.

Chris.

Alpha females have ALWAYS chosen to marry, or at least breed with, alpha males, even among humans.

What’s so new about this?

Naturally - typically but not always - alpha men and women do couple.
Pope Benedict is warning against using artificial methods to cultivate beautiful children by means of eugenics.

Eugenics is a scientific field involving the controlled breeding of humans in order to achieve desirable traits in future generations.

Here is an MSNBC video "Clinics for designer babies"
Thus far it is legal to choose physical traits of a baby in the USA
msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29495052#29495052

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.