Pope's Comments on Intelligent Design

“Pope Echoes Arguments of Intelligent Design Advocates”

"Vatican City - Pope Benedict XVI reaffirmed creation as the driving force of the universe Wednesday, describing the natural world as an “intelligent project” and rejecting scientific thought that regards the history of the universe as random and directionless.

The pope’s remarks on evolution came one day after the Kansas Board of Education voted 6-4 to adopt new standards that cast doubt on Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, though it was unclear whether the two developments were related."

Full Article:

beliefnet.com/story/178/story_17875_1.html

Is the headline of this article justified by what the pope said? Is the pope taking the Church back to the Dark Ages?

• Kathie :bowdown:

[quote=harinkj] “Pope Echoes Arguments of Intelligent Design Advocates”

"Vatican City - Pope Benedict XVI reaffirmed creation as the driving force of the universe Wednesday, describing the natural world as an “intelligent project” and rejecting scientific thought that regards the history of the universe as random and directionless.

The pope’s remarks on evolution came one day after the Kansas Board of Education voted 6-4 to adopt new standards that cast doubt on Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution, though it was unclear whether the two developments were related."

Full Article:

Is the headline of this article justified by what the pope said? Is the pope taking the Church back to the Dark Ages?

[/quote]

What he said is not necessarily rejecting evolution. He is simply stating that God is behind it and that we are not here by chance but by design.

[quote=harinkj] “Pope Echoes Arguments of Intelligent Design Advocates”

Full Article:

[/quote]

Have I ever mentioned how much I love our Pope. The Pope has died, long live the Pope.
Peace,
David

Oh yeah I like the pope. I say we convert him to Catholism. What do you all say? :slight_smile:

[quote=Montie Claunch]Oh yeah I like the pope. I say we convert him to Catholism. What do you all say? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

:rotfl:
:tiphat:

[quote=Montie Claunch]Oh yeah I like the pope. I say we convert him to Catholism. What do you all say?
[/quote]

Maybe I am missing the sarcasm, but are you all saying that if someone believes in ID they are not Catholic?

ID is perfectly acceptable. What is not acceptable is believing in a random, directionless process. This is exactly what the Pope pointed out. Of course it is also okay to believe in Creationism. If you do believe in it, answer me one question: why does Gen 1 have man created after animals and Gen 2 have man created before animals?

Evolution is perfectly acceptable as long as it is driven by God.

[quote=Aaron I.]If you do believe in it, answer me one question: why does Gen 1 have man created after animals and Gen 2 have man created before animals?

Evolution is perfectly acceptable as long as it is driven by God.
[/quote]

I’m not sure which method I believe is correct. However, on the creationism side, Gen 2 does not specifically state that the animals were made after man. It states that after man was made, the animals were brought before him:

18 And the Lord God said: It is not good for man to be alone: let us make him a help like unto himself. 19 And the Lord God having formed out of the ground all the beasts of the earth, and all the fowls of the air, brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: for whatsoever Adam called any living creature the same is its name.

**"PARIS - A senior Roman Catholic cardinal seen as a champion of intelligent design against Darwin’s explanation of life has described the theory of evolution as “one of the very great works of intellectual history.”

Vienna Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn said he could believe both in divine creation and in evolution because one was a question of religion and the other of science, two realms that complemented rather than contradicted each other.

Schoenborn’s view, presented in a lecture published by his office on Tuesday, tempered earlier statements that seemed to ally the Roman Catholic Church with U.S. conservatives campaigning against the teaching of evolution in public schools…

“Without a doubt, Darwin pulled off quite a feat with his main work and it remains one of the very great works of intellectual history,” Schoenborn declared in a lecture in St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna on Sunday. “I see no problem combining belief in the Creator with the theory of evolution, under one condition — that the limits of a scientific theory are respected.”**
msnbc.msn.com/id/9589656/

The Cardinal seems to be back on the same page with Pope Benedict XIV, who considers common descent to be “virtually certain.”

How is this ‘Taking the Church back to the Dark Ages’…?

And it is only those atheistic fools of the so-called ‘Enlightenment’ who began calling the Age of Faith the ‘Dark Ages’ as if there was something wrong with them…

Partisan categories do not become the Church. The Church is concerned with truth, not taking sides in a battle of political nitwits.

Besides, Genesis was divinely inspired by Church accounts, not a fact-for-fact description of how things occurred. The Church does not take Genesis to be completely literal.

God bless,
Aaron

[quote=Isidore_AK]How is this ‘Taking the Church back to the Dark Ages’…?

[/quote]

I posed the question. Read what I wrote carefully.

I believe that historians coined the words Dark Ages. Where is the evidence that they were atheists?

Benedict on evolution:

"…science has long since disposed of the concepts that we have just now heard – the idea of a world that is completely comprehensible in terms of space and time, and the idea that creation was built up piece by piece over the course of seven [or six] days. Instead of this we now face measurements that transcend all comprehension. Today we hear of the Big Bang, which happened billions of years ago and with which the universe began its expansion – an expansion that continues to occur without interruption. And it was not in neat succession that the stars were hung and the green of the fields created; it was rather in complex ways and over vast periods of time that the earth and the universe were constructed as we now know them…

“We cannot say: creation or evolution, inasmuch as these two things respond to two different realities. The story of the dust of the earth and the breath of God, which we just heard, does not in fact explain how human persons come to be but rather what they are. It explains their inmost origin and casts light on the project that they are. And, vice versa, the theory of evolution seeks to understand and describe biological developments. But in so doing it cannot explain where the ‘project’ of human persons comes from, nor their inner origin, nor their particular nature. To that extent we are faced here with two complementary – rather than mutually exclusive – realities. But let us look a little closer, because here, too, the progress of thought in the last two decades helps us to grasp anew the inner unity of creation and evolution and of faith and reason. It was a particular characteristic of the 19th century to appreciate the historicity of all things and the fact that they came into existence. It perceived that things that we used to consider as unchanging and immutable were the product of a long process of becoming. This was true not only in the realm of the human but also in that of nature. It became evident that the universe was not something like a huge box into which everything was put in a finished state, but that it was comparable instead to a living, growing tree that gradually lifts its branches higher and higher to the sky…It is the affair of the natural sciences to explain how the tree of life in particular continues to grow and how new branches shoot out from it. This is not a matter for faith.”

Benedict on design:

“Microbiology and biochemistry have brought revolutionary insights here. They are constantly penetrating deeper into the inmost mysteries of life, attempting to decode its secret language and to understand what life really is. In so doing they brought us to the awareness that an organism and a machine have many points in common. For both of them realize a project, a thought-out and considered plan, which is itself coherent and logical. Their functioning presupposes a precisely thought-through and therefore reasonable design…we must have the audacity to say that the great projects of the living creation are not the products of chance and error. Nor are they the products of a selective process to which divine predicates can be attributed in illogical, unscientific, and even mythic fashion. The great projects of the living creation point to a creating Reason and show us a creating Intelligence, and they do so more luminously and radiantly today than ever before. Thus we can say today with a new certitude and joyousness that the human being is indeed a divine project, which only the creating Intelligence was strong and great and audacious enough to conceive of. Human beings are not a mistake but something willed; they are the fruit of love. They can disclose in themselves, in the bold project that they are, the language of the creating Intelligence that speaks to them and that moves them to say: Yes, Father, you have willed me.”

All from In the Beginning…

Pick the Benedict you like. :thumbsup:

Phil P

[quote=aaronjmagnan]The Church is concerned with truth, not taking sides in a battle of political nitwits.
The Church does not take Genesis to be completely literal.

[/quote]

:amen:

This is the key. Too many people think the Church takes Genesis as literal truth. It doesn’t. :clapping:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.