Pope's draft on Exhortation on the Family "deeply disturbing" because it "calls into question the natural moral law?"

What do we make of this statement regarding the Pope’s upcoming apostolic exhortation:

“an unnamed but “reliably informed source” who is a moral theologian told him that the [Pope’s exhortation on the Family] “deeply disturbed” him because it “calls into question the natural moral law.””

Are we headed toward a time of great Trial, at the hands of the Vicar of Christ?

Just take a wait and see approach.

Unnamed sources have been wrong before, and how are we supposed to know how reliably informed this source is?

ChadS

Plus, a draft is just a draft, not a final document.

WOW!! :eek:
An unnamed, “reliable source” tells someone (the mentioned “him”),he knows something the Pope said before the documents have been published. Let’s all speculate that the Holy Father is really the anit-Christ, ready to destroy the Church. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

REALLY?? :rolleyes::mad:

This is a wait and see type of deal.

I am assuming this was sparked by Edward Pentin’s blog entry over at National Catholic Register (Archbishop Paglia: Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Published By End of March). It used almost identical phrasing in the 4th paragraph.

I agree.
unnamed sources are not named because they are generally wildly unreliable.
Or divisive.
I wouldn’t worry about it.
People shouldn’t put words into the Pope’s mouth anyway.

Just to be clear, you know that the Pope is not writing this, correct? Many encyclicals and exhortations are not actually written by the Pope, but by ghost writers. In this case it is likely Archbishop Fernandez who has written many (if not most) of Pope Francis’ speeches and documents since before he ascended to the Chair of St Peter.

I just wanted to be clear that papal documents are often not from the Pope’s mouth, but they do carry his authority once his name is affixed to the document or speech.

It matters little the scribe, I want to read a final document before I speculate or become “disturbed”, thank you.

Yeah, but it’s anything to do with Francis, people will try to tear it down. I don’t know why people don’t respect him. :shrug:
I find him really wonderful.

Too be fair, many did the same thing with Pope Benedict. I know just as many that reject things Pope Francis does as do those that ignored Pope Benedict. Both camps are wrong, but at the same time not everything the Pope says has to be accepted as gospel. You can also still respect someone even if you don’t personally like them.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the Pope personally so much as those who prefer tight theological statements are uncomfortable with his pastoral approach. The reason some criticize his ghost writer is that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith almost always has to provide comments on doctrinal ambiguities. It doesn’t help that Achbishop Fernandez has said that the Curia doesn’t matter and that the Pope should live in Buenos Aires and have a new dicastry there. He has several times said things against Cardinal Muller that make those that prefer a tight theology to be very skittish in his approach.

I agree - wait and see; we’ve been here before. There were rumors before the release of Laudato Si’.

We make nothing of it. Noting to see here. When his next document comes out, we read it with an open heart and mind like any other papal document before or after it.

I don’t know about that, but I do know that a lot of people should be headed to the confessional for the things that say about the Vicar of Christ.

Since this is the Moral Theology Forum, the only thing from the OP that I see applicable to morality is the exhortation against gossip, particularly uncharitable gossip about the Holy Father.

I have often wondered, exactly what is “natural law?”.

There are many strange things in nature…

amazon.com/50-Questions-Natural-Law-What/dp/0898707501

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.