Popes forbade use/ownership of the bible

Hello every one out there!!!

Here is what I’ve read from a JW book “mankind’s search for God” and I quote from pg 282

" The Council of Narbonne “forbade the possession of any part of the Bible by laymen”. The root of the problem for the Catholic Church was evidently the existance of the Bible in the language of the people."

Q: Is there any validity to the claim?
That is the forbiding part.

Cheers

[quote=alexaustralia]Hello every one out there!!!

Here is what I’ve read from a JW book “mankind’s search for God” and I quote from pg 282

" The Council of Narbonne “forbade the possession of any part of the Bible by laymen”. The root of the problem for the Catholic Church was evidently the existance of the Bible in the language of the people."

Cheers
[/quote]

The RC Church didn’t want people to use poorly translated versions of the Bible that had major theological mistakes.

See post #8 of forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=1604

Can’t say that I blame them if they did. Look at what happened when uneducated people got ahold of the Bible…massive amounts of misinterpretation and disunion. Christ instituted the priesthood for a reason, to help us interpret and understand his message.

[quote=Roche42]Can’t say that I blame them if they did. Look at what happened when uneducated people got ahold of the Bible…massive amounts of misinterpretation and disunion. Christ instituted the priesthood for a reason, to help us interpret and understand his message.
[/quote]

Makes ya wonder what really happened, doesn’t it?:cool:

" The Council of Narbon". The root of the problem for the Catholic Church was evidently the existance of the Bible in the language of the people."

Cheers
[/quote]

Oddly enough it seems that on all the websited i looked at they do not quote the text of the council. The “quote” you have from above does not appear to be from the council but from an anti-catholic propoganda piece. There were Bibles floating around that were quite corrupt and so I do think it reasonable that the Church was banning these particular Bibles and that the words of the Council are out of context. But we would have to see the exact words in context to know for sure. Seems noone who claims the council forbade bible reading wants to post them. odd.

Blessings

I believe you will find that at certain periods in the history of the Church ordinary lay people were forbidden to read the Bible. These were periods of excessive turbulence caused by folks doing private interpretation and going on the road to promote their new beliefs. There are other periods when the heritics were not as active when the reading was encouraged. As usual by taking evidence out of context one can hang anyone.

Thanks all for the reply.

This is not the first time that I have seen Watchtower literature misuse sources to prove their claim. But I was not sure of this one.

What I find annoying is that members involved in the printing of this material continue upholding their alliance to the watchtower knowing that its foundation for evangelisation is rooted in deception.

E.g. in a booklet titled “should you believe in the trinity?” they state:

“Justin Martyr,…said Jesus was inferior to God…Irenaeus…showed that Jesus is not equal to the “One true and only God,”…Clement of Alexandria…called Jesus in his prehuman existence “ a creature”…Tertullian…thaught…”There was a time when the Son was not”…Hippolytus…said…”…the One God… Maker and Lord of all,”…such as the created prehuman Jesus”

How is it that the Catholic Church does not publicly expose the Watchtower for their falsehood?

You know, I think the reason the Church doesn’t actively “go after” people who misquote us and take our teachings out of context may be rooted in the spiritual axiom of attraction rather than promotion…you know, the idea that the truth will always prevail and it doesn’t help to dignify these attacks and pay them any attention. I don’t know if that is true or not, it’s really just feeling I get. Besides, I know people like Mr. Keating and Mr. Aikin are doing their best to defend the Faith.

The RC Church didn’t want people to use poorly translated versions of the Bible that had major theological mistakes.

That, and there simply weren’t that many Bibles. There was no printing press, people had to copy those things by hand. The Church needed any Bible to be public, there simply were not enough Bibles for private laymen to have them.

[quote=alexaustralia]“Justin Martyr,…said Jesus was inferior to God…Irenaeus…showed that Jesus is not equal to the “One true and only God,”…Clement of Alexandria…called Jesus in his prehuman existence “ a creature”…Tertullian…thaught…”There was a time when the Son was not”…Hippolytus…said…”…the One God… Maker and Lord of all,”…such as the created prehuman Jesus”
[/quote]

It’s those ellipses (the …'s) you have to watch. It’s a clear signal that comments are being taken out of context. Remember, the Bible says: “…there is no God…” :smiley:
nianka

[quote=alexaustralia]How is it that the Catholic Church does not publicly expose the Watchtower for their falsehood?
[/quote]

Every time you attend Mass

Every Time you pray the Rosary

Every time you go to Confession

Every Day you are Catholic you publicly expose the Watchtower for their falsehood.

[quote=Maranatha]Every time you attend Mass

Every Time you pray the Rosary

Every time you go to Confession

Every Day you are Catholic you publicly expose the Watchtower for their falsehood.
[/quote]

I like that:clapping: …but I still fear for those led astray due to the WTS lies.

[quote=rwoehmke]I believe you will find that at certain periods in the history of the Church ordinary lay people were forbidden to read the Bible. These were periods of excessive turbulence caused by folks doing private interpretation and going on the road to promote their new beliefs. There are other periods when the heritics were not as active when the reading was encouraged. As usual by taking evidence out of context one can hang anyone.
[/quote]

Can you give us details of these “periods”?

I understood that we were forbidden to own or read the reformed, bifurcated versions of the Bible.

My family has been Catholic since Hector was a pup and both sides had Family Bibles that recorded births, baptisms, marriages, etc.

Oh who knows…

First of all, I never heard of the Council of Narbonne.

Can anyone enlighten me? Where was it, where is narbone? What were the issues?

Thanks

DianJo,

I searched through www.newadvent.com and it seems this council was not an ecumenical council but sort of a local council. Whether local means for the country, state, district I don’t know. That is why I placed the post because I havent been able to find adequate information.

Cheers
[/quote]

Alex,

I think your question has been answered pretty thoroughly but wanted to give you a rather strong example. Apparently there was a Bible translation (printing edition, really) where the printer accidentally left the word “not” out of the commandment against adultery. Would you want the faithful basing their lives and morals on that Bible?

• Liberian

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.