Pope's Funeral

I missed the Pope’s funeral and I have a few questions:

1. What the funeral Mass in Italian or Latin?
  2. Was it translated for those who were at the funeral?
  3. What was the Gospel Reading for the Funeral Mass?

[quote=CatMan]I missed the Pope’s funeral and I have a few questions:

[/quote]

In Latin for the formalities and the prayers. The homily was in Italian, first reading in Spanish, second in English, prayers of the faithful in several different langauges.

1. Was it translated for those who were at the funeral?

Dunno. It was for viewers on tv thou,…

1. What was the Gospel Reading for the Funeral Mass?

The Gospel reading was chanted in Latin, it was the one where Jesus asked Peter three times “Do you love me?” and asked him to “tend … feed My sheep.”

[quote=CatMan]I missed the Pope’s funeral and I have a few questions:

2. Was it translated for those who were at the funeral?
  3. What was the Gospel Reading for the Funeral Mass?
    [/quote]
  1. Both
  2. I would guess not for those physically there. However in Denver they had low power AM broadcast transmitters and listed specific frequency information. So you could bring a small AM transistor radio to the Papal Mass and tune-in to the Mass in French, German, Spanish, Italian, or Polish. I don’t know if the Vatican has something like that set up for large events?
  3. I think it would be in the Missal, there is a specific funeral Mass for the Pope.

yea, but I think that reading was specifically requested by JP in his will…

they also had a really cool part at the end of the funeral where the patriarchs of the eastern rite churches came around the casket and did a beautiful chant in greek. one of the blessed the casked with incense and another one did a reading of some kind in greek. then they chanted some more. a translation of part of it was something like “we commend to rest the soul of our departed brother, john paul II, the pope of rome.” this part of the mass was one of the coolest things i’ve ever seen.

I have a question too if you don’t mind…

Does anyone know where we can purchase a DVD or VHS of the funeral?
My hubby fell asleep and missed half of it.
It was so beautiful I want to show it to my kids.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.