POPPLE - "Plaid" CD Review

humblepod.com/images/temp/popple/just_popple.jpg

If you like Spam® then you will love Popple’s latest CD! Your kids will probably love Popple even more. With songs like “Peanut Butter Sandwiches”, “Henry the Ninja”, and “Taming the Robot (Wild Robot)”. My favorite songs on this album are “Contra” and “Binary”. “Contra” is a song about the secret code for the old-school Nintendo (NES) game that gives you infinate lives. “Binary” is a song about counting to 12 in binary (computer language). Dan and Kyle write fun songs. Simple songs. I got this CD two days ago and just enjoy singing along. The copy that I purchased had a DVD with footage of live shows and Popple in the recording studio. The DVD also features a pretty funny interview too. To order this CD simply go to www.popple.us.

humblepod.com/images/temp/popple/popple_plaid.jpg

My good friend Angela wrote a review of Popple’s “Plaid” CD in the Winter 2008 issue of Grape Vine Magazine.

gvonline.net/01IMAGES/coverwinter2008.jpg

POPPLE
PLAID (CD)

Don’t let the list of peculiar song names fool you. Popple’s latest album, Plaid, not only met but far surpassed my expectations for its quality – artistcally, spiritually, and for its production values. A sane adult like you, however, may wonder why another sane adult (me) would recommend an album with songs like “Peanut Butter Sandwiches” and “Middle School Love Song” for their listening library. This, my friends, is as silly a question as Popple.

Recorded mostly at Icon Music Studio, Plaid offers top-notch production-quality versions of older Popple songs from I Thought You Said Wetsuit (2004). It also features new songs and a bonus DVD loaded with behind-the-scenes footage.

Popple’s acoustic rock sound shines on this album, filled with a wide variety of songs. Especially ear-catching for me is “Calm Again,” an example of Popple’s masterfully
crafted lyrics that reflect a simple faith.

The album ends with “Prayer of St. Francis,” one of Dan and Kyle’s finest collaborative works. This honest song, written with Catholic soul artist manuel3, artistically weaves layers of lyric, instrumentation and emotion for a strong conclusion
to Plaid.

True enough, much of the album will appeal to the younger crowd. Anyone with small children should get their hands on this album. (The Willits family of Rosary Army fame recently posted a video online of their youngest son enjoying “Peanut Butter Sandwiches.”) At the same time, anyone needing a song to sing along with, or something to brighten their day, a spiritual word of encouragement or an aid for reflection, can trust Plaid to do the job well.

The album may be acquired through aftermassrecords.com and through iTunes.

• By Angela Santana

Ahhhhhh! Popple makes it to CAF. I lived with Kyle in Honduras a couple of years ago. He’s a great guy and his band is hilarious! Best of luck and God’s blessings to them! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.