Popular kids may be targets for bullying: Study

(HealthDay News) – Becoming more popular might have a downside for teens – it may increase their risk of being bullied, researchers say.

It’s well known that socially vulnerable teens – such as those with delayed physical development, body-image issues or a lack of friends – are at greater risk for being bullied. But these new findings suggest that many bullying victims don’t fit the stereotype, said authors of the study, which appears in the April issue of the American Sociological Review.

“Most people probably would not think having a higher social status would increase the risk of being targeted, but with few exceptions, that’s what we find,” lead author Robert [Faris](“https://www.bing.com/search?q=anna%20faris&filters=ufn%3A"anna faris”+sid%3a"0b88d123-5f0f-7181-5d33-2892c5844c6c"&FORM=MSNLHE"), an associate professor of sociology at [the University of California](“https://www.bing.com/search?q=university%20of%20california&filters=ufn%3A"university of california”+sid%3a"d06ea875-250d-665d-22fe-8cf2e7f8c9e4"&FORM=MSNLHE"), Davis, said in a journal news release.

healthyliving.msn.com/pregnancy-parenting/kids-health/popular-kids-may-be-targets-for-bullying-study-1

Thanks for sharing! That’s interesting.

Having graduated from high school myself three years ago, living across the street from my former high school, and having three younger siblings in high school, I would say that “bullying” is generally equivalent with “being obnoxious, rude, and mean-spirited.”

Everyone, particularly those most sociable, experiences that. What is unfortunate is that well-adjusted, mostly well-liked, healthy kids can deal with that, because of course they can; that doesn’t go away when you leave high school - unhealthy, maladjusted, mostly ignored or pitied or avoided kids cannot deal with the obnoxious kids, who are themselves usually unhealthy and maladjusted…and therefore the kids in their immediate social circle.

That stinks.

A big problem today is that kids can’t be raised the way they were 60 years ago …
couldn’t come home crying because my father would take off his belt and then he’d say something like pick up a rock or a stick, but don’t come home crying …
tell your kid that today and you might find yourself without your kid and maybe even behind bars.

When I finally shed my baby fat and it started turning into muscle at about age 12, I no longer had a problem because I was a strong kid from my weekly chore of mowing and edging by hand a 100’x50’ lawn with an ~30’x30’ house on it …
a few kids tried to bully me and even an older kid beat me except he showed me respect after for giving him a good fight.

Anyway, I personally didn’t have a problem and none of my friends did either;
However, I thank God that my parenting days are basically over and I also thank God that my siblings can basically afford to give their children good starts which is another big problem today, that is, kids want and do need things today which if a parent can’t afford to give them can cause the child to drift into a bad lifestyle.

How does this all pertain to bullying though today?
Well even though I’ve got 6 herniated discs from an incident back in 1990, believe it or not I’ve still got a pretty good physique left over from getting myself in great shape to find a wife at age 42 back in ~1985 I think it was;

And anyway, my neighbors basically all know I used to be as strong as a horse;
So I guess at age 71 now in this neighborhood I’m living on my laurels;
However, I’ve told my son that when he gets this house to sell it because I’d hate to see any grandson of mine try to grow up in this neighborhood today.

That’s it in a nutshell and it sure conflicts with our Catholic teachings, but I’d sure hate to try to raise kids today in this neighborhood on my income. :blush:

rex

PS:
That older kid I mentioned way back in the 50s when he was 15 killed another 13 year old kid in a fight using a baseball bat with the other kid wielding an ax handle.

rex

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.