Pork eating

I have heated arguments mostly with muslims and seventh day adventists…One muslim said that Jesus casting demons to the pigs after he exorcised the possesed man meant that pigs are damned and we should not eat their flesh,…and also the old testament forbids us too…help please…

Acts 10:9-15

The Vision of Peter.
9 The next day, while they were on their way and nearing the city, Peter went up to the roof terrace to pray at about noontime.* 10He was hungry and wished to eat, and while they were making preparations he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something resembling a large sheet coming down, lowered to the ground by its four corners. 12In it were all the earth’s four-legged animals and reptiles and the birds of the sky. 13A voice said to him, “Get up, Peter. Slaughter and eat.” 14But Peter said, “Certainly not, sir. For never have I eaten anything profane and unclean.” 15The voice spoke to him again, a second time, “What God has made clean, you are not to call profane.”

You cannot argue with Muhammad or Ellen Gould White! Their adherents have that glassy-eyed look…

I’m not sure if there’s an argument you can make to your muslim friend. You can cite Bible passages, but if they don’t accept the passage as having been inspired by Allah, they probably won’t be swayed. I’d be curious to hear what your seventh-day adventist friend would say to the bible passage cited above, though.

In practice I try (perhaps more unsuccessfully than I’d like :o) to keep away from heated debates concerning deeply-held religious beliefs. I think the arguments tend to be more counter-productive than anything. Once the argument becomes heated, people tend to become more interested in digging in their heals, defending their beliefs, and not really listening. I’ve had more luck with gentle, conflict free discussions (though I’ve certainly had less of those than I’d like!).

Pork is a tricky meat, healthwise. If undercooked it can give you trichonosis. Yul Brynner contracted this in New York, so it is still a threat. So I can see that is olden days pork would have ended up a forbidden meat, just because of the dangers.

That does’t stop me from eating well cooked pork!

To answer him, ask him, “Where do you get your authority to comment on and interpret the scriptures? Mohammed? Where in the bible, does it say that Mohammed was given the authority to comment on and interpret the scriptures?”

If the muslim says that Mohammed gets his authority from the Koran, say that you do not recognize it as divine revelation. If he asks you where you get YOUR authority, cite scripture where Jesus tells Peter that “on this rock I will build my Church,” etc, and the whole argument that comes off of that.

If the person, in the end, will not agree, or denies Jesus’ authority, basically, then you tell him that if you won’t accept his Koran, and he won’t accept your bible, there’s really no agreement to be had.

Lol, great pic. :smiley:

Bacon tastes gooood.

Pork chops taste goooood.

What? You mean I can’t have pepperoni pizza anymore?:eek: Jesus cursed the fig tree. Does that mean we can’t eat figs?:frowning:

Pork sausage. Yumm yumm.

the trichinosis part is a bit tricky…red meat is known to be more morbid than white meat ie fish, chicken, pork…etc…parasites are more common in red meat by the way, deadly one like the east african rift valley virus which is very deadly and happens on a regular.,remember that mad cow disease?swine flu never affected the meat FYI people wouldnt get it from meat…and also common conditions like gout…so that shouldn’t be a worry

As someone in the restaurant business I can tell you that trichinosis in pork has all but been eliminated. Pigs would contract it by eating uncooked meat, but now laws mandate that all food given to pigs has to be cooked. Your chances of getting ecoli from beef and salmonella from eggs or poultry are much, much higher than getting trichinosis. I don’t think there been a case from a commercial pig in thirty years. Mostly it comes from undercooked game birds.

Ironically in this day and age pigs are remarkably clean animals compared to beef and especially chicken.

I suppose this is why when roasting pork, they now say to cook until an internal temp of 145 degrees, where they use to say 165.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.