Portrayal of Risky Sexual Behaviors on TV Inspires Imitation Says Study

SANTA BARBARA, CA, September 29, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Content analyses demonstrate that TV programming is highly saturated with sexual content and risky sexual behavior. A new study in the September 2008 issue of the Journal of Communication shows that people with direct experience with such…

Full article…

*** The link quoted above does not work. The following link is correct:

Full article…**

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter what TV show or movie you may watch, someone is always sleeping with someone else - without the benefit of marriage, of course - and if the show miraculously does not have any illicit sex involved somehow, the commercials are flooded with sensual images.

It is quite obvious that the sexual promiscuity featured in today’s media would have a profound effect on the young and inexperienced. After all, the media *must * be portraying “real life,” and if “everyone” is “doing it,” “it” must be okay. :rolleyes:

When I grew up, television couples had separate beds (e.g., I Love Lucy). Now, even on standard, non-cable, channels, you see people with naked backs on top of other people, or kisses where you see tongues.

The only tongues I can stand seeing are those of little children with an ice cream cone http://bestsmileys.com/icecream/1.gif (or lollipop).

And I’m just talking of plain old heterosexual sex. Let’s not forget that we must not “offend” anyone, so now references to and portrayals of, homosexual sex and same-gender relationships are considered “normal” therefore same-sex couples also abound in the media.

I’m not a “prude,” but it’s just downright disgusting.

In light of the recent passing of Paul Newman, I think that what should be making headlines is his marriage of 50 years. Yes, he was a wonderful actor, and yes, he was a very charitable man. However, in today’s world, and especially in the land of Hollywood, I think that his life-long marriage was the most extraordinary thing about him.

The only thing that will ever change the minds of the media moguls who insist on flooding our airwaves with depictions of mortal sin is a total boycott of all offending material coupled with letters or emails of indignation. I would include here the advertisers who feel that the only way to sell undergarments is to plaster the sides of our buses with larger than life size photographs of nearly naked people. To have to see these advertisements on the way to work, without even the benefit of a morning coffee, is, to say the least, sickening. http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif

We should protest against these things now, if not for us but for the sake of our children, grandchildren, and all future generations.

Catholics of the world: UNITE ! http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif

What’s wrong with being a prude? When the TV becomes the babysitter, for whatever reason, and mom and dad don’t step in, the bad example (usually shown as fun and enjoyable) becomes an option. The fact Catholics need to face is that the TV is not your friend. If you grew up in the 1960s, it was, but it certainly is not now. The same with the internet.

God bless,
Ed

I apologize for not explaining myself better. By the “prude” comment I meant that I’m certainly not anti-sex. I heartily endorse fantastic, rip-roaring, extraordinarly pleasurable sex - between a man and woman… who are married… to each other.

I don’t care if married couples use scented oils, special lotions, or “outfits” of their choice.

God created sex to be a pleasant and pleasurable, wonderful experience, and it’s a beautiful gift to be enjoyed by a couple lawfully married in the eyes of God.

That’s what I meant by not being a “prude.”

However, our young should not be bombarded with all this, and I certainly don’t want to see it or know about it - and it doesn’t matter between whom it occurs. I don’t want to see or read about same-sex anything, and I don’t need to see semi-naked underwear models. I already know what underpants look like.

Who knows? :shrug: Maybe I am a prude! :wink:

I thank God for parents (both passed on now) who didn’t have a TV in our house until I was 17. By then, my life wasn’t built around it and I was too busy to watch it much. To this day, I get restless after more than an hour in front of the TV, unless I’ve rented a particularly interesting movie. There are entire multi-season series of shows of which I have never seen a single episode. Sometimes I don’t get the pop culture references in conversation, but it is a small price, I think.

It is difficult to do, but if parents can keep the TV out of the house while raising their kids, the whole family will be much better for it, especially today. What I have seen lately is not only immoral trash for the most part, but, to add insult to injury, it is poor quality immoral trash.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.