Position on "Respecting the Sabath"

LDS are taught that respecting the sabbath means not shopping, doing recreational activities, eating out, etc … This is to show our respect for the Lord and His day of rest and to dedicate our time to Him and family.

Being brought up Catholic we always went out to eat on Sundays and shopped and such. Since I have joined the LDS Faith and have begun to respect the Sabbath, I have since been taught by my Grandmother, that the Catholics used to act this way before.

Why did this change?

Brother John

In Catholicism you are supposed to avoid doing any major work. You are supposed to relax and it is a time that you spend with family and honor God. Your allowed to go out to eat and stuff on the Sabbath.

I think that there was no shopping and eating out on sundays for the simple reason that everything was closed on sunday, no one was working. You couldn’t even get gas on a sunday. If you had to use your car and you didn’t have any gas you were out of luck.

The society has changed and now many business’s are open on Sundays.

[quote=leschorndad]LDS are taught that respecting the sabbath means not shopping, doing recreational activities, eating out, etc … This is to show our respect for the Lord and His day of rest and to dedicate our time to Him and family.

Being brought up Catholic we always went out to eat on Sundays and shopped and such. Since I have joined the LDS Faith and have begun to respect the Sabbath, I have since been taught by my Grandmother, that the Catholics used to act this way before.

Why did this change?

Brother John
[/quote]

Les,
Moses was given the law by God as you undoubtedly know. In that law is the sabbath laws. The sabbath laws were very strict and conservative. There was no cooking, no working, etc. And this sabbath was kept from Friday evening sundown thru Saturday evening sundown. The early Christian church was made up of Jewish converts and Gentile converts. Once the church of God (which consisted of Jews and Gentiles) came together as one, then slowly the sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday.

So, the root of the Christian expectations of the observation of the sabbath is found in the Jewish faith. It is there that you must begin your search. In Israel today, they stop even elevators from being used once the sabbath (Saturday) begins.

For an interesting Christian view of the sabbath, I would recommend any Seventh-Day Adventist or Seventh-Day Baptist teachings. They give a much different view than the mainstream Christian groups. You can look at www.sda.org for more info.

Peace…

[quote=leschorndad]LDS are taught that respecting the sabbath means not shopping, doing recreational activities, eating out, etc … This is to show our respect for the Lord and His day of rest and to dedicate our time to Him and family.

Why did this change?

Brother John
[/quote]

The Sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath. I’d avise reading Pope JP II’s enyclical Dies Domini. I woul dnever advocate mindless shopping on a Sunday or unnecessary work. That said there is no need to be pineckety or scrupulous about it. Buying a can ok soft drink and a newspaper and a bag of crisps is surely ok

Whats happened is that society has gotten greedy and more demanding. Years ago there were laws put into effect that made it illigal to open Sundays. It was a day where I remember eating with my family,going to church, and just doing things together as family.Satan is doing a good job taking all of time and keeping us busy.Most familys require both to work and alot of them 6 days a week. So the only day free is Sundays. Great tactic by satan.It works. Today I choose not to bite into his ploy.Sunday is the LORDS DAY and Im going to keep it that way. God Bless.

Many have already posted about the laws. I have family members that live in a county that still has “blue laws” so the Mall and most stores are closed on Sundays.

Catholics believe that Sunday is for worship and for family. That’s one reason why going out to eat on Sunday is a frequent Catholic activity. Our priest frequently speaks out against profaning Sunday. He mentions, unnecessary shopping, unnecessary work or making work for others and other activities that would not be pleasing to God on His day.

And when we do go out to eat at resteraunts on Sundays little do we realize we contribute to others sinning. Do as I say not as I do. Sound familiar? And thats the reason we had blue laws. :eek:

Well from a Lutheran point of view…

The Old Testament Law as obligatory mandate and ceremonial Law (which included the 10 commandments) was fulfilled, and is no longer in effect. (Matthew 5:17-18; Galatians 3:19, 23-25; Romans 7:4-7; Hebrews 8:6-13; Colossians 2:14-15)

The Ten Commandments were only a part of the law given exclusively to the nation of Israel - Deut. 5:2-3, 6-21.

Nine of the ten commandments are also contained in Christ’s Law, revealed in the New Testament. This is the only reason that these nine are still binding on Christians. (It was Sabbath that was omitted- Colosians 2:14-17.)

[quote=Shibboleth]Well from a Lutheran point of view…

The Old Testament Law as obligatory mandate and ceremonial Law (which included the 10 commandments) was fulfilled, and is no longer in effect. (Matthew 5:17-18; Galatians 3:19, 23-25; Romans 7:4-7; Hebrews 8:6-13; Colossians 2:14-15)

The Ten Commandments were only a part of the law given exclusively to the nation of Israel - Deut. 5:2-3, 6-21.

Nine of the ten commandments are also contained in Christ’s Law, revealed in the New Testament. This is the only reason that these nine are still binding on Christians. (It was Sabbath that was omitted- Colosians 2:14-17.)
[/quote]

The Mosaic law was actually divided into three sections, the Moral, Civil and Ceremonial. The Moral consisted of the Ten Commandments - of which one is the keeping of the sabbath.

The whole Mosaic law consisted of 613 commandments which were binding on the Israelite. Even the foreigner living under Israelite rule was required to obey that law.

I have a seventh-day adventist friend who gave me some very strong arguments for keeping Saturday over Sunday. I continue to believe that this keeping of Saturday is not mandatory in that the Mosaic law is not binding on Christians. And as you pointed out, only 9 are to be found as listed together in the NT, with the sabbath not mentioned as one of them.

Here is an interesting link that explains some of the background of the observance of the sabbath: biblicalholidays.com/Sabbath/jewish_customs.htm

[quote=SPOKENWORD]And when we do go out to eat at resteraunts on Sundays little do we realize we contribute to others sinning. Do as I say not as I do. Sound familiar? And thats the reason we had blue laws. :eek:
[/quote]

I also wrestled with this some time back. We Baptists preached that people should refrain from work and shopping, but then we would go out to eat after church and make others work in order to feed us. It does seem silly, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, my family and I have really relaxed our views on this in the past couple years. Bless you…

Col 2
14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day–

Mark 2

Question of the Sabbath

23 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain.
24 The Pharisees were saying to Him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"
25 And He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry;
26 how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which (24) is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?"
27 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
28 “So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Romans 14
4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.

[quote=Shibboleth]Col 2
14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day–

Mark 2

Question of the Sabbath

23 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain.
24 The Pharisees were saying to Him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"
25 And He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry;
26 how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which (24) is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?"
27 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

Romans 14
4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.
[/quote]

Good verses, Shib!

I agree.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Whats happened is that society has gotten greedy and more demanding. Years ago there were laws put into effect that made it illigal to open Sundays. It was a day where I remember eating with my family,going to church, and just doing things together as family.Satan is doing a good job taking all of time and keeping us busy.Most familys require both to work and alot of them 6 days a week. So the only day free is Sundays. Great tactic by satan.It works. Today I choose not to bite into his ploy.Sunday is the LORDS DAY and Im going to keep it that way. God Bless.
[/quote]

Spokenword,

Well said!:wink:

See, we can agree on many issues.

Gods peace be with you,

[quote=Malachi4U]Spokenword,

Well said!:wink:

See, we can agree on many issues.

Gods peace be with you,
[/quote]

Hi Malachi, Havent spoken to you in quite a while. Yes we can agree on many things for we are united in Jesus Christ. :thumbsup: God Bless.

[quote=ahimsaman72]The Mosaic law was actually divided into three sections, the Moral, Civil and Ceremonial. The Moral consisted of the Ten Commandments - of which one is the keeping of the sabbath.

The whole Mosaic law consisted of 613 commandments which were binding on the Israelite. Even the foreigner living under Israelite rule was required to obey that law.

I have a seventh-day adventist friend who gave me some very strong arguments for keeping Saturday over Sunday. I continue to believe that this keeping of Saturday is not mandatory in that the Mosaic law is not binding on Christians. And as you pointed out, only 9 are to be found as listed together in the NT, with the sabbath not mentioned as one of them.

Here is an interesting link that explains some of the background of the observance of the sabbath: biblicalholidays.com/Sabbath/jewish_customs.htm
[/quote]

Please bear in mind that the Christians ceased keeping the Saturday Sabbath in Acts of the Apostles and ceased beiing Jews as well. We follow the scriptural tradition of the early church. The NT clearly says that they met on the first day of the week to break bread. It is an error to try to say that we should honor Saturday, but we should honor Sunday.

a key point of Catholic social justice teaching 100 yrs ago was reduction of the workweek to allow for sabbath rest, and the move to a 40 hr week was on the platform of reformers and the labor movement. Now the trend is back to 24/7 work, never out of touch by email or cell phone, never really off the job, even on vacation. the sabbath is indeed made for man, and he disregards it at the peril of his spiritual, mental and physical health.

Thanks for all the great responses. I appreciate the Catholic view of the sabbath. As for me and my family, we shall continue to work to ensure that we don’t cause others to disreguard the sabbath.

I think that after this conversation, that the Catholic teachings and LDS teachings are similar, the difference is that LDS are told more explicitly what we should and should not do. Where it may be left more up to interpretation for Catholics. Once again thank you for all of your comments.

Brother John

you are quite right that the difference in attitudes toward the sabbath is in practice, not teaching. an example is attitudes about what constitutes “work or servile labor” and what constitutes “rest and relaxation.” These were interpreted very differently by different immigrant groups in this country. I remember a children’s story book I used to read (Betsy and Tacy?) where the German families liked to go to church then go to the city parks for picnics, games, singing, probably beer was involved, like a mini-Octoberfest every Sunday afternoon. This scandalized their neighbors of English extraction who had a much more staid version of how to spend Sunday. Jews who strictly observed Sabbath rules for Saturday labored under a severe burden imposed by stores, businesses and workplaces who militated against this observance.

[quote=Shibboleth]Col 2

Mark 2

Question of the Sabbath

Romans 14
[/quote]

Years ago (before becoming Catholic) I came across SDA literature that claimed we should worship on Saturday instead of Sunday. I read the NT cover to cover, and it was verses mentioned above (as well as Acts 20:7, and 1 Corinthians 16:2) that convinced me they were wrong.

St. Ignatius of Antioch also gives evidence of what day the early Christians worshipped on:

We have seen how former adherents of the ancient customs have since attained to a new hope; so that they have given up keeping the Sabbath, and now order their lives by the Lord’s Day instead.

My history is weak at best on this issue but wasn’t this Bishop an Arian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.