Positive Changes in your Parish Mass

I've noticed that this forum tends to discuss the negatives that occur in a liturgy, but I think we should also focus on positives that have occurred. In other words, what changes have occurred in your parish that have helped foster a more reverent and beautiful liturgy?

I'll start: EMHC's in my local parish the Precious Blood is not going to be fractioned after consecration anymore. The wine will be fractioned prior to consecration.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:307092"]
I've noticed that this forum tends to discuss the negatives that occur in a liturgy, but I think we should also focus on positives that have occurred. In other words, what changes have occurred in your parish that have helped foster a more reverent and beautiful liturgy?

I'll start: EMHC's in my local parish the Precious Blood is not going to be fractioned after consecration anymore. The wine will be fractioned prior to consecration.

[/quote]

Two quick thoughts. Most people don't think about what is right or good but rather what is wrong or bad. So what you notice is not surprising; but I agree that there is much that is positive and good that should be spotlighted. One change in our parish that I was discussing with another parishioner a few days ago is the improvement in the music and the participation of the congregation in the singing.

Second thought. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the importance of when the wine is fractioned? And does it vary from parish to parish, or priest to priest? I honestly have never noticed a variation; it always seems to be done prior to the consecration, as far as I can recall.

[quote="chaunceygardner, post:2, topic:307092"]
Two quick thoughts. Most people don't think about what is right or good but rather what is wrong or bad. So what you notice is not surprising; but I agree that there is much that is positive and good that should be spotlighted. One change in our parish that I was discussing with another parishioner a few days ago is the improvement in the music and the participation of the congregation in the singing.

Second thought. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the importance of when the wine is fractioned? And does it vary from parish to parish, or priest to priest? I honestly have never noticed a variation; it always seems to be done prior to the consecration, as far as I can recall.

[/quote]

Because you are going to spill some unnecessarily if you do it after consecration. If you do it beforehand, all you've done is spilled some wine, which is no big deal. Spilling the Precious Blood, on the other hand, is a huge deal.

Fractioned means that the celebrant pours the wine into separate chalices prior to consecration, and then consecrates all that are on the altar. My parish uses four per mass on any given Sunday.

To begin advent this past weekend, I was very pleasantly surprised to note that we did not sing an offertory hymn. What a wonderful moment of silence and reflection, something we don’t see very often when every space in the mass is filled with words/hymns. The liturgy is supposed to allow these moments to us, but I don’t see it very often.

The change to the new translation was overall an improvement in my opinion. Furthermore two problems disappeared overnight: a change the priest always used to make to the wording of the consecration (“when you do this, remember me” rather than “do this in memory of me”) and some substituting of “God” or “God’s” for “he” or “his.”

Another change, or rather anomily, that I personally liked was that this week we said the Nicene Creed rather than the Apostle’s Creed for the first time in a while. I do not know whether it was an anomily due the visiting priest (the only kind we have anymore, since our pastor was reassigned about six months ago) not being told what we normally do or whether it was a change for the new liturgical year. Of course using the Apostle’s Creed rather than the Nicene Creed is perfectly licit, I just don’t care for it personally.

fractioning wine? what does this mean?

[quote="datritle, post:6, topic:307092"]
fractioning wine? what does this mean?

[/quote]

I've seen small chalices on the altar during consecration, later distributed to choice communicants. I think that's what they're referring to.

A couple of people are starting to kneel after communion instead of just sitting!
And we got two candles!!!
There was also an attempt to use liturgical colors on the altar cloth (I say attempt because they were light blue- "It's a shade of lavender guys, I promise. Purple. For Advent" according to Fr.)
AND THE CROWNING JEWEL---> We are going to have a Mass every Tuesday during Advent!!! And maybe even confession, if enough people are interested!

The last is a HUGE deal, since we don't even get Sunday Mass every week and have to have Liturgy of the Word without a priest.

[quote="waanju, post:8, topic:307092"]
A couple of people are starting to kneel after communion instead of just sitting!
There was also an attempt to use liturgical colors on the altar cloth (I say attempt because they were light blue- "It's a shade of lavender guys, I promise. Purple. For Advent" according to Fr.)
AND THE CROWNING JEWEL---> We are going to have a Mass every Tuesday during Advent!!! And maybe even confession, if enough people are interested!

The last is a HUGE deal, since we don't even get Sunday Mass every week and have to have Liturgy of the Word without a priest.

[/quote]

More Masses and confessions are always great.

That makes sense. But isn’t there an instruction or rubric for this? And it sounds like you see the change as good, but based on what you are saying above it may not be. I am sorry, but I am somewhat confused.

[quote="chaunceygardner, post:10, topic:307092"]
That makes sense. But isn't there an instruction or rubric for this? And it sounds like you see the change as good, but based on what you are saying above it may not be. I am sorry, but I am somewhat confused.

[/quote]

I think he's saying it's a good thing. What had been done at some masses was to consecrate all the wine in a larger vessel and then pour it later into smaller chalices for distribution to the people, thus creating a small likelihood of spilling as it is poured. When it is poured into the chalices before they are consecrated, there is no chance of spillage.

Yes, there is an instruction banning the use of a large "glass" flask to consecrate the needed amount of wine. Last summer when I was on vacation out of state, I attended a parish that is still using the glass and did a :eek:.

[quote="smndtupidisaftr, post:1, topic:307092"]

[/quote]

Our new pastor has implemented the Benedictine Altar arrangement (i.e. six candles and a crucifix on Sunday and Solemnities). He uses incense at every Sunday Mass.

[quote="PacoG, post:12, topic:307092"]
Our new pastor has implemented the Benedictine Altar arrangement (i.e. six candles and a crucifix on Sunday and Solemnities). He uses incense at every Sunday Mass.

[/quote]

pantslikeadog I can only imagine.

[quote="waanju, post:8, topic:307092"]

[/quote]

More Masses is wonderful! And congrats on the lavendar-ish altar cloth! :D

Super fancy! :highprayer:

We also started to have the wine already in the chalaces too! No more pouring after consecration! Yipeee! Also, a priest or Deacon now retrieves and puts back the consecrated Hosts in the Tabernacle, not the Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister's! So exciting!

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:5, topic:307092"]
Another change, or rather anomily, that I personally liked was that this week we said the Nicene Creed rather than the Apostle's Creed for the first time in a while. I do not know whether it was an anomily due the visiting priest (the only kind we have anymore, since our pastor was reassigned about six months ago) not being told what we normally do or whether it was a change for the new liturgical year. Of course using the Apostle's Creed rather than the Nicene Creed is perfectly licit, I just don't care for it personally.

[/quote]

The Archbishop here decided that we're all going to use the Nicene Creed for the Year of Faith (we're in Canada, so normally we have always said the Apostles Creed). If I'm lucky I might even memorize it this time around.

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:5, topic:307092"]
Another change, or rather anomily, that I personally liked was that this week we said the Nicene Creed rather than the Apostle's Creed for the first time in a while. I do not know whether it was an anomily due the visiting priest (the only kind we have anymore, since our pastor was reassigned about six months ago) not being told what we normally do or whether it was a change for the new liturgical year. Of course using the Apostle's Creed rather than the Nicene Creed is perfectly licit, I just don't care for it personally.

[/quote]

:frighten: I cannot imagine using the Apostles' Creed at Mass. I think I would go catatonic.

I haven’t heard the Nicene creed at mass since August. :frowning:

[quote="waanju, post:19, topic:307092"]
I haven't heard the Nicene creed at mass since August. :(

[/quote]

We haven't used the Nicene Creed since November 2011, coinciding with the new Missal.

I note how whenever we have a visiting priest who leads the Nicene Creed, everyone looks baffled and then scrambles for the cheat sheets. Sometimes a visiting priest will lead the Confiteor, too, which isn't otherwise done at all in our parish.

I seem to be the only one in our parish who receives kneeling or kneels after the Agnus Dei- only one other parishioner that I know of receives on the tongue and she is too frail to kneel.

I guess I just have a rebellious spirit.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.