Positive responses!

I know that we, as Catholics, are often criticized for our choices... there are other threads here about negative comments on family size and such...
But I wanted to share a different experience... at least so far...

I just "announced" on facebook that I'm pregnant with our 4th... and I've had nothing but positive responses... and 2 people used the phrase "I'm jealous!" (I plan to keep those 2 families in my prayers... you never know... finances, fertility, these are hard issues for many families...)
I'm actually shocked! :eek:
I was really anticipating a snicker or two, or a chide comment... but it's far from that! :D

I'm a little nervous about announcing at work next week... but you never know, maybe that'll be positive too! :shrug:

Anyone else get positive remarks for your Catholic choices? :thumbsup:

I got one today. :)

I hadn't revealed my faith to any of my colleagues (and as I'm a student nurse, I move to a new ward every 3 months so I never really get to know anyone very well) but I yawned very visabily in front of a nurse I work with this evening on my shift, she asked why I was so tired, didn't I get enough sleep last night, etc and I explained I was tired because I went to Mass this morning at 9.30am and shortly afterwards went to my 8hr shift on the wards which only finished late this evening.

She was really interested and positive when I said I was a practising almost-Catholic, saying that not many people my age are interested in that sorta thing and she wished she was the kind of person who could have a faith. She was so genuine I told her all about how I'm going to be baptised and confirmed this Easter, that the reason I never work Sunday mornings is because I'm always at mass and that I love going to RCIA (which I explained as a mini-course for people new to the Church). She started talking about when nursing dying patients she often begins to wonder and be scared about what happens when you die, and I told her about how my conversion started when I witnessed the sacrement of the sick given to a dying patient, and that I wanted to go to the funeral but couldn't, and was now considering going to the memorial Mass for them this week. They encouraged me to go, and asked me many more questions.

It was really refreshing to have an atheist/agnostic person react so positively, especially as it was the first time I had revealed my beliefs to someone I worked with. :) Boosted my confidence in being open about my beliefs.

Wish there was a like button :smiley:

That is so great. I think people have some strange ideas about the Catholic faith, probably because of the stuff (mostly false) they hear in the media. But if they see happy Catholics who love their faith and are glad to have more than 1-2 children if God chooses to bless them with a larger family, they might start to see Catholicism in a positive light. Maybe some of them will eventually become Catholic, too. Who knows? :thumbsup:

I think it is wonderful!!!! congrats. !!

You obviously want this 4th very much and are happy about it so if the people at work are negative, that is there problem, not yours.
Enjoy !!!

Wow, Lemon Lime. Just read your post. what a wonderful job of sharing that you did.

Hey Honey -
YYAY!!!!! :) Congrats on number 4!!

I have heard lots of positive feedback, mostly from family but sometimes friends, for my Catholic choices. One of my doctors is agnostic, and she is very happy that I am no longer taking hormonal birth control because of the dangers they pose to the female body.

My little old Catholic grandmother was tickled pink that I wanted to marry in the Catholic church, and wanted to make sure I did so in the proper way.

When I really put myself out there for my best friend, who is atheist, she tells me that I put a good face on Christianity, because so many have been rude to her because of her lack of belief.

I will always try my darndest to take the charitable route, I believe God wants us to be kind and understanding with one another. I'm a total mush, can you tell ;)

That's great Em! :D

Thank you so much for sharing that!! It is so encouraging, I only have a 2 and 3 year old (boy and girl) and people (usually strangers) always tell me "It must be nice to have the whole pregnancy stage in your life over while you are still young" and "That's so nice that your family is complete" My family isn't complete until God says it is complete...and even then, I might be in for some grandkids! ...but to be fair to them, they do not have the same view of family life as I and, perhaps they should not assume things, but I also should not judge them.

Anyhow, Congrats!! What a wonderful blessing!!

Em,
Often read your responses and think you are a really great person. Congratulations on your new little one!
Also, be prepared for comments.....they will happen! Just remember, water off a duck's back!
And know that a CAF, we are all thrilled by this news! :thumbsup:

Congratulations (and I'm one of those that would say "I'm jealous" ;) ) I haven't always received positive responses to my Catholic choices, but the negativity is usually from people who are negative anyway. :shrug:
Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

Susan

I had a friend compliment me on my large family, and tell me that she wished she could be like me.

This surprised me greatly because by today's standards, this girl has everything - loving husband, very good looks, a healthy daughter, financial stability, LOTS of friends who tell her she's great.

I, on the other hand, struggle to keep my house tidy with five boisterous youngsters, I don't have a great number of friends (no problem) and I'm no supermodel. I guess there's something else shining through. I'd like to think that maybe God uses me as an example to others, and stirs a desire in them for more than they have. Not being prideful, I've just always hoped that I could be of use that way, because I'm not at all outspoken... except perhaps on CAF:p.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:1, topic:234873"]
I know that we, as Catholics, are often criticized for our choices... there are other threads here about negative comments on family size and such...

I just "announced" on facebook that I'm pregnant with our 4th... and I've had nothing but positive responses... and 2 people used the phrase "I'm jealous!" (I plan to keep those 2 families in my prayers... you never know... finances, fertility, these are hard issues for many families...)
I was really anticipating a snicker or two, or a chide comment... but it's far from that! :D

I'm a little nervous about announcing at work next week... but you never know, maybe that'll be positive too! :shrug:

[/quote]

My husband and I also have 4 children. (grown now and 13 grandkids) We truely wanted at least 7 or 8 children, but because of life threating problems and surgery to keep me from bleeding to death, we were blessed with 4.

But to answer your question. When I announced I was pregnant with our 4th child (the ages of our other 3 children at the time were 3 and under.) Some people would say, "Wow your children are so close in age." I'd smile and say, "Yes, they were all planed. You see I want to be a young grandma and enjoy my grandkids." Now the funny thing is I was telling them the truth. Of course their mouths dropped when I said this. I had our 4th baby at 24. It was planned to have all 7 or 8 by the time I was 28.

When I was growing up my parents had 7 of us kids. I was number 6. I do remember when meeting people as an adult and of course it was how many brothers and sisters do you have, when I'd say "I'm number 6 out of 7." the comment was always, "What are your parents Catholic?" :rolleyes: I'd always smile and say "Yep, my parents had a great sex life and we had enough kids to play kickball, basketball and any other game we wanted to play. It was great growing up Catholic and in a big family." Pretty much that would stop them in their tracks.

Just remember if anyone does give you snide remarks, let them know this baby is a true blessing from God and what a wonderful gift God has given you. It's really sad that some people today dont' see the blessing we Cathoics have in our large families.

May God Bless you and your family and Congrats on the new baby.

[quote="adelore, post:13, topic:234873"]

I'd always smile and say "Yep, my parents had a great sex life and we had enough kids to play kickball, basketball and any other game we wanted to play. It was great growing up Catholic and in a big family." Pretty much that would stop them in their tracks.

[/quote]

:rotfl: Sounds like something I would say. You've got nerve and a good sense of humor for dealing with the unenlightened!

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:1, topic:234873"]

[/quote]

Your post made me smile. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your pregnancy!

How exciting Em!

I was so glad that my DD's first two were 'one of each' so that people (especially non-Catholics) would know that subsequent pregnancies weren't to hopefully have the boy/girl they didn't have yet.

She too has had support on facebook for her pregnancy, although some are in awe of the space between her children, however, we'll see if God grants her and her husband the 4th child they would so dearly love. (And we are daily expecting the arrival of #3, so 4 is just speculation a the moment.)

Just wanted to update with more of the responses I'm getting...

Today I had an appointment with my OB doctor (10 1/2 weeks now) and got to hear the heartbeat on the doppler. And we discussed general pregnancy stuff. This is the first time I've seen the doc in a while - normally I see the midwife, who is wonderful and delivered 2 of the 3 kids...
But anyway, the doctor was chatting with me and asked, "Now, you're not going to do anything *crazy *like want a tubal after this, are you?"... standard questions - he's not a pro-life doc... but I loved how he called it "crazy"! I said "Oh gosh, no! I couldn't do that!". Then he asked how old I was - 32 - and said "oh, you've got time for 4 more!"...
I don't know if the guy is Catholic or not, but it just makes me feel so wonderful knowing that he's so positive about having kids!!! He's like an old grandpa and just really sweet and endearing... :D

I also just "announced" at work... sent an email out to my co-workers and boss... and everyone gave very positive responses! Some were "funny"... my boss said "Congrats. Three kids weren't making you crazy enough?? :)"... and one co-worker, after reading my email, burst out of his office and said "You know how this happens, right?" and I just responded with "Yeah, that's the fun part!" ;)

So overall I have to say this has been a pretty darn good experience for announcing being pregnant with #4! I'm impressed with my friends and co-workers! :thumbsup:

:D Your excitement is contagious!

Congrats, congrats, congrats :thumbsup: Sounds like your doctor is awesome!

I try to post Catholic stuff on Facebook all the time. Of course, I went to Catholic schools through grad school and now work for a parish, so 90% of my friends are Catholic.

We all need to push Catholicism in a positive way!

Oh, congrats too!

Congrats!!!

Two weeks ago I spent a weekend with a friend who is an atheist. Her husband is a lapsed Catholic and she was telling me how he just lost his faith when he was in college and that at the moment he is completely shut to religion. I was surprised because she used to be very negative about religion. Her tone was now different and she asked me many questions: about going to Mass, how to pray the Rosary, how my faith works in daily life. The following day she wanted to go to Mass with me because she was curious but her little daughter was not well so she couldn't go in the end. I was seriously surprised by all of that. I hope she will make it to Mass soon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.