Possible demon possession?

I’m sure this will raise a few eyebrows, but this is a serious post.

I’m a Catholic convert, married to a Protestant. I believe my wife is demon possessed. I don’t say this lightly. There are strange things - even to the point of paranormal activity - going on in our home. I have already talked to 2 priest acquaintances about this. They both see the problems, and agree that they are very serious. One of the priests is very familiar with my wife, and is a close personal friend of our family. (I’ll call him Father X)

Father X does not believe in demon possession. He believes that Biblical references to demon possession were simply serious cases of mental illness. (I live in a very liberal diocese.) He has witnessed her behavior, and believes that she is not mentally competent, and should be committed to a mental hospital.

The other priest believes in demon possession, and believes that this is a possible diagnosis for my wife, considering the bizarre circumstances. Yet, he does not believe in exorcisms - he believes that the modern way of handling possession is through psychological therapy and medication. (He has a psychology background.)

My wife refuses to go to diagnosis or any treatment whatsoever, although she admits that there is something seriously wrong with her. She believes she can overcome her own problems through personal prayer, but this method just hasn’t worked at all.

Our marriage is a disaster. She is constantly enraged, and it is impossible to get along with her. We’ve been married over 20 years, and have 3 teenage children. Our family is self-destructing - especially recently with my conversion (in the last 4 years).

To be close to her is to be sucked into a state of chaos and reaction to her wild rages. Yet is it right to be “distant” and emotionally unattached to her - basically to avoid her at all costs (while still living in the same house)? This is the only way I have been able to avoid constant conflict with her, but it just doesn’t seem like the right thing to do.

Keep looking for a priest who can do exorcisms. Unfortunately, an excorcist must be approved by the bishop of the diocese. The Orthodox, however, don’t have this restriction. I would keep looking and keep praying. Get some holy water and blessed salt (salt lasts longer) and get it blessed with the old formula, which includes the prayers of exorcism. Wherever the holy water or salt is, the prayer will exist.

Rome Exorcist: Church Needs Many More Exorcists! To Combat the Evil One!**

The Catholic Church’s most famous exorcist says more should be done to fight the devil. Father Gabriele Amorth has conducted 70,000 exorcisms for the church during his lengthy career.

In an interview with Italian daily, Corriere Della Sera, the 85-year-old priest said it would be worth extending the practice of exorcism.

“It would not be a bad idea,” he told the daily. “In Italy moral decay is evident. Families are often breaking down.

“Do you know what I would do if I was the Pope for a moment?” he asked. “I would provide every opportunity for exorcisms. Like the Orthodox Church. There you do not need the permission of a bishop.”

Amorth recounted his battles against the devil in a dozen books, translated into 28 languages. The latest, Memories of an Exorcist, recounts his experiences with a number of victims with which he worked.

He said when people are possessed by the devil they often speak in incomprehensible languages as well as Greek, Latin and Aramaic.

courageouspriest.com/rome-exorcist-church-needs-many-more-exorcists

First of all, don't talk about this online. Call your diocese and ask who is the exorcist, and have him visit. If your diocese doesn't have one, call the next nearest diocese, etc.

This may or may not be a case of demon possession.

However, the Church will not perform an exorcism or even begin to investigate this as a possible case of one until all other avenues are exhausted. This is just the way things are, the Church is very methodical and careful when dealing with these sorts of things.

The first thing that should be sought is medical and psychological treatment and counseling. That will be extremely important in either getting your wife the help she desperately needs or laying the foundation by proving this is a case of demonic possession or oppression.

In either case, best wishes and God bless you and your wife.

ChadS

[quote="ljubim, post:3, topic:202843"]
First of all, don't talk about this online. Call your diocese and ask who is the exorcist, and have him visit. If your diocese doesn't have one, call the next nearest diocese, etc.

[/quote]

Well said! Three cheers!

I don't know that much about exorcisms, but wouldn't my wife need to voluntarily submit to one? She absolutely won't. She also adamantly refuses to submit to any type of mental evaluation (which as I understand would be in the requirements for an exorcism). I think she is very frightened (and she is also very stubborn!).

I'm just looking for advice as to how to deal with this. I feel that I need to stay with her, and to do my best to raise our children. I have had 2 priests (including Father X) suggest separation. I don't agree with this. My family has observed the rage incidents, and support the separation idea. I'm really trying to avoid that. I vowed before God to stay with her "for better or worse," and I really want to do the right thing.

I do love my wife, and she loves me. She's already hurting badly, so I don't want to do things that hurt her even more. But it is nearly impossible to live in this situation.

Is she a danger to herself or others?

[quote="gam3rchic, post:7, topic:202843"]
Is she a danger to herself or others?

[/quote]

She does get physical with me - but it's not that serious. It's certainly not to the point of taking "domestic abuse" action.

She does not get physical with the kids.

Separation is just that: separate living accommodations. It is neither a divorce nor an annulment so you would remain married in both the eyes of the Church and the State. It is not necessary to invoke a legal separation (through the courts) unless she is also a danger to your finances, etc.

Regarding obtaining treatment for her against her consent, it is possible if you can demonstrate that she is a danger to you, your children, herself, or others. You may need to surreptitiously record one or more of her tirades for evidence (perhaps contact a lawyer for advice to make sure you do it legally). -]If you or your children are victims of domestic violence, be sure to file police reports./-]

It is not uncommon for mentally ill people to be treated for mental disorders against their will (though most eventually concede before being forcibly institutionalized).

A possessed person would probably fight every attempt at exorcism, however. This is because the demon (who is in control) doesn’t want to go.

BTW - the priest who thinks that demonic possession can be treated with modern medicine is flat wrong. Likely, he is with the other priest in the opinion that “demonic possession” equals “mental illness.”

Please get her to a medical doctor and get her thyroid and blood sugar levels checked at the very least, and check for exposure to heavy metals and other neurotoxins in your environment. She could very well be on the verge of a major physical blowout. This is serious stuff.

Does she have any blood relatives who suffer from a mental or mood disorder? They tend to run in families. That would be the first step. If there is, you could bring it up to her as a segue into seeking medical attention.

Look, if it is demonic possession this is not something you need to be seeking advice about online.

But as far as angry rages - just as like a prudent person would give a mother in a situation with a violent father - your first and foremost responsibility is to safeguard your children. You have to go to work sometime.

Seperate living accommadations does not mean divorce.

It means seperate living for the sake of physical safety of children and self.

This is what the CCC says:

1649 Yet there are some situations in which living together becomes practically impossible for a variety of reasons. In such cases the Church permits the physical separation of the couple and their living apart. The spouses do not cease to be husband and wife before God and so are not free to contract a new union. In this difficult situation, the best solution would be, if possible, reconciliation. The Christian community is called to help these persons live out their situation in a Christian manner and in fidelity to their marriage bond which remains indissoluble.[157]

1650 Today there are numerous Catholics in many countries who have recourse to civil divorce and contract new civil unions. In fidelity to the words of Jesus Christ - "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery"[158] the Church maintains that a new union cannot be recognized as valid, if the first marriage was. If the divorced are remarried civilly, they find themselves in a situation that objectively contravenes God's law. Consequently, they cannot receive Eucharistic communion as long as this situation persists. For the same reason, they cannot exercise certain ecclesial responsibilities. Reconciliation through the sacrament of Penance can be granted only to those who have repented for having violated the sign of the covenant and of fidelity to Christ, and who are committed to living in complete continence.

1651 Toward Christians who live in this situation, and who often keep the faith and desire to bring up their children in a Christian manner, priests and the whole community must manifest an attentive solicitude, so that they do not consider themselves separated from the Church, in whose life they can and must participate as baptized persons:
They should be encouraged to listen to the Word of God, to attend the Sacrifice of the Mass, to persevere in prayer, to contribute to works of charity and to community efforts for justice, to bring up their children in the Christian faith, to cultivate the spirit and practice of penance and thus implore, day by day, God's grace.[159]

I hope that helps - but you have to discern your own path through prayer.

Are these Roman Catholic priests? I know that exorcists lecture at seminaries. Were they not at class that day?

Before I would pursue an exorcism I would, if need be, have her committed for evaluation to a mental health facility. I used to have violent rages brought on by the smallest things. Then I was diagnosed as bi-polar. With medication I haven't had a rage in over 3 years. There are other explanations possible for her behavior.

[quote="Alexandra, post:14, topic:202843"]
There are other explanations possible for her behavior.

[/quote]

Yes...absolutely!

And there is everything from unregulated diabetes, to thyroid malfunction, to subtle traumatic brain injury or growing subdural pressure, to heavy metal or other neurotoxin poisoning, to lyme disease, to ergot poisoning, to drug reaction or interaction, to hormonal malfuction, to acute allergic reaction or other toxicity or auto-toxicity to consider.... any and all of which can create symptoms that look exactly like "demonic possession" for gosh sakes, and all of which can blow out into major crisis situations at any time.

Please, this woman needs to be evaluated by a physician, and if you've got "paranormal" things going on in your house, your house needs to be checked for environmental hazards (heavy metals, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, chemical toxins, mold spores, etc.) that could be causing you all to have subtle neurological problems and hallucinations, indicating the ongoing environmental poisoning of your entire family... and if your wife is home all day, exposed to it, she could well be the canary in the coal mine.

[quote="former_Catholic, post:15, topic:202843"]
Yes...absolutely!

And there is everything from unregulated diabetes, to thyroid malfunction, to subtle traumatic brain injury or growing subdural pressure, to heavy metal or other neurotoxin poisoning, to lyme disease, to ergot poisoning, to drug reaction or interaction, to hormonal malfuction, to acute allergic reaction or other toxicity or auto-toxicity to consider.... any and all of which can create symptoms that look exactly like "demonic possession" for gosh sakes, and all of which can blow out into major crisis situations at any time.

Please, this woman needs to be evaluated by a physician, and if you've got "paranormal" things going on in your house, your house needs to be checked for environmental hazards (heavy metals, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, chemical toxins, mold spores, etc.) that could be causing you all to have subtle neurological problems and hallucinations, indicating the ongoing environmental poisoning of your entire family... and if your wife is home all day, exposed to it, she could well be the canary in the coal mine.

[/quote]

Bravo! 100% correct! The house and grounds need to be checked, and get your kids checked out, too! I'm a firm believer in demonic possession, but demons don't have to oppress a person if there are mundane elements available to do the damage for them.

I'm really disturbed about your comment that your wife gets physical with you but not to the point of abuse, and isn't physical with the kids.

The problem is, abuse never declines, it only escalates. You might not consider her actions abusive, but they're not the actions of a loving wife of sound mind and body, and there's a real danger that she could edge toward harsher abuse, or could start to target the kids. I know you're probably thinking she loves them way too much to hurt them, but if outside forces (be they natural or demonic) are affecting her, then your littles are in terrible danger.

Finally, I mean it when I say get your littles checked out by a doctor. If there's something seriously wrong with the environment at all, and your wife is being negatively affected by it, then they're even more at risk, still being in the developmental stages until about 21.

She might very well be demonically possessed, but for the sake of all people involved, treat the external stuff first and then deal with an exorcism.

Before a priest does an exorcism, there are steps he takes to see if it's really a case of possession or something else (Fr Amorth talked about this).

I suggest keep looking for an exorcist! maybe ask the diocese who the exorcist for the diocese is? just ask if you can talk to him and then tell him what's been going on

I recently read a book abotu this very topic, and it said that there were less than 100 official exorcists in America. It was an older book so the numbers may have increased. It had mention of Fr. Amorth.

But yeah, defintely need to get a full medical and mental work up first. Its quite common for religious people who are mentally unwell to manifest “religious” hallunciations and negative behaviours.

Good luck, OP, God bless.

Last week my mom was telling me of a 7 year old boy patient she had xrayed many years ago. He had a broken arm, but when she went to get his chart, he had had 26 xrays prior. My mom went to get all of his files (which many nighttime technicians didn’t do at the time) and she saw that every visit was for a broken bone. By the age of 7 nearly all the bones in his body had been broken. She told the dr. who instructed to have DCFS called. They took the boy away from his family (through an interpreter it was discovered that when the mom’s head hurt she would lose her patience and beat her son. She was admitted to the psych ward. They ran tests on her and discovered she had a HUGE tumor on her brain. It was operable, but to think, all her boy went through because they never checked out why her head hurt so frequently. My mom doesn’t know what happened after that, but this is a perfect example of how sometimes medical conditions affect a person’s behavior.

OP your wife needs to seek medical help to see what may be going on.

[quote="ChadS, post:4, topic:202843"]
This may or may not be a case of demon possession.

However, the Church will not perform an exorcism or even begin to investigate this as a possible case of one until all other avenues are exhausted. This is just the way things are, the Church is very methodical and careful when dealing with these sorts of things.

The first thing that should be sought is medical and psychological treatment and counseling. That will be extremely important in either getting your wife the help she desperately needs or laying the foundation by proving this is a case of demonic possession or oppression.

In either case, best wishes and God bless you and your wife.

ChadS

[/quote]

This is correct... even if they investigate they start out with a psychologist and that could take up to a year for his/her findings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.