Possible Diaconate Formation - First Official Communication from The Church

I recieved the following email from the Office of the Permanent Diaconate in my diocese this morning.

***I wanted to let you know that we are mailing a letter to you today that will provide more information about the upcoming Information/Inquiry Sessions. You should have that letter by the end of the week.

As a reminder the sessions will be held on May 5th and May 19th from 9:00am to 4:00pm. You and your wife (if you are married) need to attend both sessions in order to subsequently apply to formation.

If you have any questions after you receive the letter, please do not hesitate to let me know.***

This is the first official communication I have recieved outside of casual conversations with the deacons, priests and pastor of my parish. It is a bit overwhelming for me and I confess that it is a bit emotional for me to begin this process. I keep asking myself, “Who do you think you are that you can be ordained in God’s Church?”

Realistically, there are 28 slots open and 56 men interested, so the Archbishop is in the position of being able to choose the cream of the crop. Without getting into details of my situation, he will probably have many men better able to commit.

Still, I need to know.

In the past three years, people have come up to me randomly, people I have never met, out of the blue and asked if I’m in the diaconate formation program. It happened to me at Mass 400 miles from home while I was on vaction - a woman walked up to me after Church out of the blue and just asked, “Are you in the diaconate formation program?” I almost fell over. I need the Church to tell me if the constant thoughts for the past two years are coming from myself or if they are from God.

So, anyone who cares to pray, please do so. Thanks.

-Tim-

Tim, may God bless you in your discernment!:thumbsup: I will keep you in my prayers.

If you have questions concerning the diaconate and or formation come join us at the deacon group located here forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1321

This is incredible news! I’ll be praying for you for sure!

Irrespective of what may seem like a competitive process, the Bishop will have to use all of the graces and wisdom given to him to chose those whom he believes are truly called.

No one who has a genuine calling should ever be turned away from service to Christ;s Church and God's holy people. No one.

That said, even if for some reason you are not one of the candidates, the Bishop or others may help you find an alternate path for discernment and vocation. The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways! We just need to keep our eyes, ears, souls and hearts open ...

We will all pray for you, your discernment and that you be shown the way for your calling!

You have really captured my most fervent hope.

I want to give my life back to God in some formal and maybe even public way. He has given so much. I want to give it back to him somehow.

I’m all ears at this point. Speak Lord, your servant is listening.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.