Possible pirated DVD

I was trying to stream a movie from amazon to show my students and of course, the internet connection was down. I asked a fellow coworker about her internet connection and she stated that she thought that it was down throughout the school. She stated that she had an extra copy of the movie that we were showing. So I took it and I noticed that it was not original DVD but a copy. I showed about 10 minutes of it. I have a feeling that it was a pirated DVD (but I’m not sure), and if so, is it considered a sin that I showed 10 minutes of it?

Oh man are you in trouble:

Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited right and license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access, view, use and display the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules, for Non-Commercial, Private Use. As used herein, “Non-Commercial, Private Use” means a presentation of Digital Content for which no fee or consideration of any kind (other than that which you pay to us to view the Digital Content) is charged or received, which takes place in your private home or apartment or, if outside your private home or apartment (e.g., in a hotel room, dorm room, office, or airport waiting lounge) is limited to a private viewing for you and your invitees. Non-Commercial, Private Use specifically excludes any public presentation (e.g., a presentation in a dorm lounge) and any presentation by a place of public accommodation or other commercial establishment (e.g., a bar or restaurant), even if no fee is charged for viewing the Digital Content.

Your colleague also is not authorized to distribute copies of any media that she owns unless she transfers the original product.

Do you have any idea what they do to people like you in prison?

The Church expects you to use your common sense and apply the commandments to your specific situation.

Is it wrong to use illegally copied DVDs? Yes. Is it a sin? We cannot say. We don’t know your situation. YOU must discern that.

Also, your school should license the use of legal obtained DVDs for public showing.

Does that go for just clips as well? I know that would apply if he was showing the whole movie. But for just a clip in an educational setting, wouldn’t that constitute fair use?

I suppose that’s a question for the principal.

It is a question for a lawyer. “Fair us” is an often misused principle. In my profession we deal with copyright a lot, and there are two court cases I know of wher fair use was applied differently. In one a very small portion (like 400 out of 10,000 words) was considered NOT fair use while a in another a similar number of words in a smaller document WAS fair use.

As I understand it, fair use governs the use of extracts for the purposes of making a wider point: i.e. commentary on something or criticism of something or the creation of new academic work that builds upon something prior, but not the creation of new artistic work that relies on previous art (i.e. sampling something identifiable, as the Fugees did with an Enya work, even though it was only a fraction of the whole Enya piece).

In any case, if the Terms and Conditions prohibit the use of something in a certain context, it doesn’t matter how much or little of it you use, it’s prohibited.

Whether it’s a sin or not is really dependent on your motives and the benefit you get from it. If it’s for your own enjoyment that you do something for which you should have paid but didn’t, then I’d say it’s sinful - and that would apply too if you were doing so in order to enable someone else’s enjoyment. A teacher using an extract of something in order to teach and inform? Well, that’s probably less sinful (if at all) but still illicit in that it was illegal use of something.

:hmmm: Ah, the joys of education in the modern era. We all need lawyers on speed dial. :stuck_out_tongue: It would be easier to figure out if they could be more consistent about applying it.

Or just get permission.

:stuck_out_tongue: That’s true. I guess I’m over-complicating it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.