Possible to just use ovulation test strips to avoid?

Is it possible to just use ovulation test strips as a main indicator to avoid pregnancy? That is, to confirm phase 3 infertility, as I’m aware they don’t give enough warning for phase 2 and we’re avoiding phase 1 altogether anyhow.

My other fertility signs, mucus and cervix, are so incredibly unclear right now and I don’t sleep regularly or well enough to bother with temperatures. I did, however, get a very clearly positive ovulation test strip for 2 days 5 days ago.

We have several serious reasons to avoid for now so I don’t want to take any risks.

Also, has anybody used an ovulation microscope? I'm wondering if this might make a useful confirmation as well.

Does anybody else think we need a NFP board here as well? ;)

No, OPKs and ovulation microscopes are not designed to be used as contraception. My wife and I were using an OPK every day when we conceived number 4 and there was never any sign she had ovulated.

The Marquette method does incorporate an ovulation predictor into the method as back up if you want to look into that.

I don’t know if adding more symptoms is actually helpful. It seems to just introduce more uncertainty for me. “A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.” You might have more luck just learning the noble way of the mucus.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:3, topic:245575"]
No, OPKs and ovulation microscopes are not designed to be used as contraception. My wife and I were using an OPK every day when we conceived number 4 and there was never any sign she had ovulated.

The Marquette method does incorporate an ovulation predictor into the method as back up if you want to look into that.

I don't know if adding more symptoms is actually helpful. It seems to just introduce more uncertainty for me. "A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure." You might have more luck just learning the noble way of the mucus.

[/quote]

Had she gotten positive tests on previous cycles? They don't work for everybody, I do know that.

I wish my mucus was clear enough right now to rely on that, but I can't. I have cycle-long mucus and have never had the stretchy, typically egg-white stuff.

[quote="Blenderx, post:4, topic:245575"]
Had she gotten positive tests on previous cycles? They don't work for everybody, I do know that.

I wish my mucus was clear enough right now to rely on that, but I can't. I have cycle-long mucus and have never had the stretchy, typically egg-white stuff.

[/quote]

No, nothing on previous cycles. We had been using them for 6 months or so and she hadn't had a cycle or if she did the OPK strip missed it. There was no baseline to go on. She did have one strip show up positive, but the test line wasn't darker than the control line and when we retested nothing showed up. Shouldn't have ignored the initial reading but hindsight is 20/20.

Have you tried Creighton? They claim success for people who have constant mucus. They simply look more closely at the mucus - but they do it in a systematic, scientific way.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:5, topic:245575"]
No, nothing on previous cycles. We had been using them for 6 months or so and she hadn't had a cycle or if she did the OPK strip missed it. There was no baseline to go on. She did have one strip show up positive, but the test line wasn't darker than the control line and when we retested nothing showed up. Shouldn't have ignored the initial reading but hindsight is 20/20.

[/quote]

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! I have had one cycle, and a bit of a baseline to go on, fortunately. One thing to know about OPKs is that the test line doesn't need to be darker than the control line, just equal to, and it doesn't even need to be the whole line, you just compare the darkest part of the test line, even if its small. The surge might also pass quickly. It only lasts about 12- 48 hrs and some ppl will miss that window altogether.

[quote="ThyKingdomCome, post:6, topic:245575"]
Have you tried Creighton? They claim success for people who have constant mucus. They simply look more closely at the mucus - but they do it in a systematic, scientific way.

[/quote]

I am familiar with Creighton as well as Billings. I am still unsure about my mucus. I have an idea of what going on with it, but it is still so unclear, and I feel it would be too unreliable to depend on mucus only.

The Marquette system has a protocol based on Clearblue fertility monitor which basically does the exact same thing. The monitor picks up the LH and estrogen hormones which is exactly what OPK test strips and an ovulation microscope do. nfp.marquette.edu/nfp_quick_inst_monitor.php

I don’t see how this would be all that different than using these in conjunction with other observations to confirm ovulation. Especially if they are only used to confirm Phase 3. Thoughts?

You can have a LH surge and not actually ovulate, then ovulate later in the same cycle. So no, this method would not be trustworthy if you need to avoid right now.

Check #9
peeonastick.com/opkfaq.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.