Post a Scene from the New Testament

So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows (Matthew 10:31)

2 Likes

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you (Matthew 6:6)

2 Likes

I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him (Rev 6:1)

The Vision of the White Horse by Philip James De Loutherbourg , 1798

3 Likes

Christ at the Home of Mary and Martha (1905) by Henry Oshawa Tanner. I’ve been meaning to post a Mary and Martha piece, and I finally found one I liked. I especially liked the somber lighting in this one.

3 Likes

Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword. (Rev 6:4)

The Red Horse by Peter Olsen

2 Likes

When He broke the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, a black horse; and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. And I heard something like a voice in the center of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; but do not damage the oil and the wine.” (Rev 6:5-6)

The third Horseman, Famine on the Black Horse as depicted in the Angers Apocalypse Tapestry (1372-82)

2 Likes

@Rob2, thank you for posting this art from Revelations. I would never have thought to post paintings and art from Revelations. Whenever I have read revelations, I’ve always been confused. Why does Revelations use such imagery to depict the fundamental struggles of humanity? Any thoughts from anybody would be appreciated.

1 Like

The King and the Shepherd, 1888 by Edward Coley Burne-Jones. It combines two events from the New Testament. These are the travels of the magi to see the birth of Jesus and the shepherds being called to the birth of Jesus. Both types of people are being called to the birth Jesus.

2 Likes

Hello @jack63 .

Apocalyptic writings are usually hard for 21st century Westerners to get their heads around .

I recommend “Rapture : The End-Times Error That Leaves The Bible Behind” by David B Currie .

It is an excellent book , and , dealing not only with the Rapture, it gives a thorough explanation of Apocalyptic literature .

The book contains a 151 page chapter on the Book of Revelation .

In an introduction to the book Scott Hahn says : " I am tempted to describe it as a virtual summa of apocalyptic texts and prophetic positions ."

1 Like

The Mighty One has done great things for me-- holy is his name. (Luke 1:49)

The Assumption of the Virgin Mary by Rubens

2 Likes

Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. (Luke 18:1)

Saint Augustine and his mother, Saint Monica by Ary Scheffer

3 Likes

When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death (Rev 6:7)

Death on a Pale Horse by John Hamilton Mortimer , 1775

2 Likes

A different type of Nativity scene. Again this one was done by Edward Coley Burne-Jones. It is more Somber. The angels are holding a the crown of thorns, a chalice, and an urn. The clothing is shroud-like. The Latin inscription means "Because of the misery of the poor and the groaning of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord.

2 Likes

The Good Samaritan by Eugène Delacroix 1798 – 1863

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.