Post Partum depression should I take Prozac

Hi I have a 5 month old baby and 4 and 5 year old girls. For years I have suffered from anxiety and moods and depression off and on. I had this with my 4 year old but just dealt with it . This time is much different since we are having major financial problems, losing our home and business . Our marriage isnt very strong right now and neither is my prayer life. I cant seem to pray or anything right now. I am so snappy with the kids although the baby doesnt bother me at all. I have been having health issues but most likely all related to stress and anxiety. I went to my gynecologist and she prescribed PROZAC. I really dont want to do drugs and think that I should just trust God . I dont know what to do here. I have some natural supplements and good vitamins but I always forget to take them and even to take care of myself. I am not suicidal but sometimes feel like running away with the baby. It is just a little fantasy of mine but I could never live without my girls. On a very very down night I told my husband that mabey he could raise them as I feel I am do them more harm than good. Please help. Just someone to guise me and even pray with me would be nice.

I know where you are coming from and would suggest taking the anti depressant, they REALLY help. You won’t become addicted to them, a lot of people use anti depressants for a short period of time until they feel normal again, they help you get control and balance. There is no shame in taking these medications, there are times when so much is placed in front of you, you don’t know where to go. You do have to be religous with this medication and take it regularly. It will take a bit of time to take effect. I would suggest taking it at bedtime, since these meds can cause drowsiness. I know you don’t want to take drugs, but in this case it would be best. Catch the depression now before it really takes hold of you and you do start having thoughts of hurting yourself or someone else. Will keep you in my prayers.

:takeoff:

Annabeth, if you were told you had diabetes and needed insulin, would you take it? Or would you refuse, because you don’t want to do drugs and feel you should trust in God? If your leg were broken, would you have it set in a cast, or would you trust God to fix it without one?

Depression and anxiety are physical medical conditions. People with diabetes need help with their insulin levels and people with depression and anxiety need help with their seratonin and gaba levels. There is no shame in it, no weakness. It has nothing to do with trusting God or not trusting Him. Perhaps God led you to this doctor and prescription. You know, the whole story of the guy drowning in the flood and asking God, “I trusted in you, why didn’t you save me from drowning?” and God says, “Dude, I sent you a boat and a helicopter, why didn’t you use them?”

Prozac may not be what you need, there are many different medications for these problems, and you might need a different one. You also don’t have to be on them forever. But please don’t reject the idea outright.

:hug1: We aren’t really supposed to give medical advice. But you have my prayers. You have so much on your plate right now with the baby, the 2 older kids, plus financial stress. I can empathize, I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old, and a new born. The baby spent 2 months in the NICU, so that was stressful on it’s own.

I don’t have much help, the baby is a lot of work that is basically all mine (I have the boobs ;)). The 2 older kids decide that it’s time to fight right when I’m nursing…so I can’t deal with it right away. DH comes home from work at around 8 lately…baby gets fussy at around 5 and wants to nurse constantly, so making dinner is basically impossible. Last night we had frozen pizza. I had planned to make pasta with meat sauce but the baby decided that I didn’t need to. :smiley:

Anyway, I can understand what you are feeling somewhat. You have my prayers again.

There’s nothing wrong with asking a doctor for some medicine to lift your moods. Post partum depression is a serious medical conditionthat needs medical attention. Ask your PCP to refer you to a qualified therapist who is a nurse practitioner and to a psychiatrist too.
Chemicals and hormones sometimes get messed up when you are pregnant, and the thyroid and pituitary gland can stop producing the right amounts of seratonin to keep you bouyied and your head out of the blues you are in.

I know what anxiety and depression, anger and the unreal feelings are all about too. It’s like watching someone else take over while you’re lost onthe outside looking in.

God works through the medical community too you know. Psychiatrists are much maligned for their role in healthcare. Psychiatrists provide a medical service to make sure no one hurts themselves unknowingly or others they love unknowingly if they would become sick and not understand what was going on in life.

Go to the hospital if you feel you need to to get help…
God Bless you and keep you.
I’m praying for you
Mary1173
:wink:

In fact do us a favor. Call 911 and ask tem to take you to the hospital right now. If you are already feeling the way you do, you need to be in the hospital asap.

remember 911…ask for help from a dr 1st. Do it for your children and yourself

God Bless
Mary1173

There’s nothing wrong with taking medication for stuff like depression. I’m on several medications myself. Like what has already been mentioned, you would go to a doctor and follow his/her advice when it comes to physical problems like a broken leg or whatever. God can, and does, work through doctors and medicine.

No need to call 911 if you aren’t in immediate need. Unless you fear harming yourself or others you don’t need to do that.

:clapping: Very well said! God has given you a doctor and a medicine; trust that the tools He gave can help you.

Prozac doesn’t start working right away; people see a little improvement after the first week but it takes a month or so for them to feel 100%. In the meantime, call your pastor and ask if your parish has a mothers’ group of some sort. Chances are that at least one of those women had PPD and can guide you through this. If you have good family/friends nearby, tell them that you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed with the new baby and your financial troubles and you could use a hand. (Who wouldn’t be overwhelmed, with a new baby and losing a home? Good grief!)

I’ll pray for you and your family, and please come back and tell us how you’re doing!

Anxiety and depression are MEDICAL issues and should be treated by a MEDICAL professional.
Prayer is essential - prayer can be miraculous, but we are living in this world where Original Sin has broken human nature. The Church guides us that we can and should seek medical attention to help ease the pain and suffering that we must endure while in this world.

I’ve been there - I’ve fought every idea of going on medication because the effects of this disease are emotional in nature and that can get twisted into our spirituality. I finally succumbed to taking medication after my 2nd child was born - and it was a lifesaver (probably literally). I was on the medication for 2 1/2 years, slowly weaned off (with the guidance of my doctor), and then after having my 3rd child I’m THRILLED to say that for the first time I’ve experienced postpartum WITHOUT depression… and what a difference it makes! (I bring this up to mention that each pregnancy is unique and just because you have issues this time doesn’t mean you’ll experience it every time!) I look back after my first two pregnancies with regret that I didn’t treat my illness sooner. Just my personal experience.

God bless you - you’ll be in my thoughts and prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.