'Post the Host': Bishop who blessed Jade Goody's wedding offers consecrated wafers by mail

’Post the Host’: Bishop who blessed Jade Goody’s wedding offers consecrated wafers by mail

Archbishop Jonathan Blake, a former Anglican priest who is now a bishop of the Open Episcopal Church, has hit on a neat solution to the problem of worshippers who cannot get to his Eucharists. He consecrates the host, then pops it in the post to allow members of the public to say their own “Masses” (minus consecration).

. . . . .

Blake is prepared to send you consecrated hosts at the following rates:
FOR 1 CONSECRATED HOST £2

FOR 10 CONSECRATED HOSTS £4

FOR 50 CONSECRATED HOSTS £6

FOR 100 CONSECRATED HOSTS £8

FOR 500 CONSECRATED HOSTS £10

THERE ARE TWO WAYS TO PAY…

Once the host arrives, there’s no need to construct a tabernacle: “People can carry a Host with them on a neck chain or in a specially adapted wallet for emergencies or just to have that sense that Jesus is with them throughout the day.”

As I say, Blake is an ordained Anglican priest, albeit effectively excommunicated and now no longer a member of the C of E. I won’t comment further, except to say that it’s reassuring that, in the eyes of the Catholic Church, the wafers he is sending through the post are just that: wafers.

It still sounds like simony even if his consecration is invalid.

Hopefully Protestants will catch onto extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion.

But what the bishop is doing is simony, scandal, and sacrilege.

Eucharisted:

And terribly STUPID!

Thank God he’s just sending HOSTS and not our Lord through the Posts!

Hopefully, this “Bishop” will understand what a scandal he presents believers and unbelievers alike, and just how what he is doing impedes our witness to a wounded world which so badly needs the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and he’ll reprnt and stop it.

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

Did not the church send consecrated hosts through the post albeit in secret (often hidden in bars of soap etc to non-Roman Catholic countries?

What is being attempted with ‘post the host’ seems to be to be a genuine outreach project to reach the housebound, lonely and those for whom the church and not God has deemed unworthy of receiving the gift of the sacrament.

I feel this project should be supported because its giving Christ to the people - all people.
Best Regards.

If so, it was very noble and very vital.

If so, he wouldn’t be charging money for them. He might ask for donations, and would likely get them (although his membership with a minor denomination might limit appeal). I think Abp. Blake may be on the cusp of something good, but perhaps his motives are mixed.

Au contraire, check out the price, not donation list from the “Archbishop’s” site:

FOR 1 CONSECRATED HOST £2

FOR 10 CONSECRATED HOSTS £4

FOR 50 CONSECRATED HOSTS £6

FOR 100 CONSECRATED HOSTS £8

FOR 500 CONSECRATED HOSTS £10

Absolutely not. The mere suggestion is beyond preposterous. Countless ancients were martyred (some as young as 12) because they would not allow the sacred species to be handled in any unfit fashion, but risked exposure by delivering it personally to those in need.

Wtih this example, how could the Church ever, anywhere, possibly think that some circumstance warranted such vile treatment of the Sanctissimi? It is better to suffer without the Sacrament than subject it to indignity.

What is being attempted with ‘post the host’ seems to be to be a genuine outreach project to reach the housebound, lonely and those for whom the church and not God has deemed unworthy of receiving the gift of the sacrament.

I feel this project should be supported because its giving Christ to the people - all people.
Best Regards.

It could only be seen this way by someone with absolutely no understanding of the Sacrament itself. If this were real, as the charlatan bishop purports, it would be the BODY of CHRIST. Would you put the Lord God Almighty in a box to be tossed about in a lorry? When the Sacrament is moved from one place to another it is at the very least carried in a solid gold Pyx by a duly instituted Acolyte, and that’s only because there aren’t enough deacons around to do things properly.

I have trouble believing the Church condoned the act of sending a consecrated host through the mail to anyone, hidden in bars of soap or otherwise, and would have to see thorough documentation before I did believe it. Also, it is not the Church which deems whether one is unworthy of receiving the sacrament of the eucharist, but rather whether one is in a state of sin or not. Strictly speaking, none of us is worthy of receiving the sacrament, but we should strive to be as worthy as possible by utilizing the sacrament of penance and showing sincere sorrow for our sins. Those who are in sin and do not show sincere sorrow for sin through the sacrament of penance (or who fail to recognize the severity of their sin through pride and a false view of the Church) should refrain from receiving the sacrament until they have reunited themselves with the Lord and with the Church community.

It isn’t consecrated Eucharist as the Bishops’ Church isn’t united with Rome. What is being sent is a host only, unless a valid Catholic Priest or Bishop consecrates said host for the Bishop sending it. Not likely though. It is like Mr. (formerly Fr.) Cutie’ still being a valid priest after breaking a vow and donning a “different” collar; or a buying a 30$ “Rollex” (!), it isn’t authentic.

This is highly inappropriate, even within the Anglican context. Leaving aside the question of the validity of Anglican sacraments, this exposes the Blessed Sacrament to unacceptable risk of profanation. It also subverts the notion of the church as a visible body.

As one educated in an Anglican seminary and who served in the Anglican priesthood for 13 years before coming into the Catholic Church, I never encountered anything remotely like this. It suggests that the priest needs some talking-to, if he’s not completely out to lunch.

And why would i want to pay $4 for one unconsecrated host when I can get the real deal in any catholic church without waiting for it to arrive and hope I get something more than dust when it does? For the same $4 I can get a whole bunch of unconsecrated hosts from some local Christian store. Wear them in a locket around your neck, we call that a pyx. If it was the real deal I certainly wouldn’t go around wearing Jesus as some sort of bling! I guess it’s good this crazy simonist bishop isn’t asking 30 pieces of silver for them like someone else who was sold our Lord!:eek:

================================================================I I cannot think for a minute that your your Archbishop os even an Archbishop. is serious.This is the first I ever heard of it. Usually laypeople can never t say mass–rhis Archbishop better go back to his basics
I have never heard of seeing the Eucharitristic [SIGN]If you are really concerned about this, I would go to someone higher[/SIGN]sent through mail. There is something drastically wrong with your Archbishop.-; furthermire in the Catholic. I cannot comment on this issur\e Church , ARE NEVERE alowd to perform a mass the church, I cannot believe hat he send you Comunon through mail, not ony is it a sin, itr is a scarelgious, you all asingn apetition to aok who has mor authority tha thew Archbishop and tell what he is doinfg. It is totally out of control;.
Please sign petionsd and have thm sent ight awat to somone in higher authority.

Let me know what happens.
God bles you and repor this auorthoruy.

God love you

PROVIGL, PhD

Who knows anything about this “Open Episcopal Church”? From the sparse information that I can gather from their webpage, it seems that they DO IN FACT HAVE APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION - they’re an Old Catholic sect, not Anglican per se, if it is true that

The Historic Episcopacy in the Open Episcopal Church traces its origin to the Ancient Catholic Church of the Netherlands and the Archiepiscopal See of Utrecht

as I read on their webpage (openepiscopalchurch.com)

So the body of Our dear Lord IS being shipped through the mail - illicitly and blasphemously consecrated, but validly consecrated nonetheless. This is assuming that the “priest” has intentions that are good enough to validly confect the Eucharist - which is difficult to know, especially since the ministers of that church probably don’t have a particularly well-defined theology. Furthermore, I don’t see why anyone would want to receive a host unless they thought vaguely enough that it was in some way Our Lord (what else would be the point?), so they could very well have sufficient intention to validly confect the Eucharist.

This is assuming further that they ensure that their priests are consecrated by them and have apostolic succession - even if the “church” started with it, that’s no guarantee that it remained. The Armenians had apostolic succession for 1800 years and then decided that Anglican (or Protestant Episcopal) orders were good enough to continue the heritage of the Armenian Church in America, and I wouldn’t be surprised if such a traditional and orthodox body of faithful like the Open Episcopal Church were a little bit more sloppy.

My thought: if this really is to help isolated and house-bound people, why is he selling in bulk? 500 hosts for £10? Who is going to use 500 hosts? (The first answer that crossed my mind was “Black Mass.” I know that sounds paranoid, but a system like this is way open to abuse.)

Re the black mass etc - I rather think Jesus could look after Himself and anyone attempting such a mass would clearly get their hands burnt!

Even though I do support this outreach project I equally understand the concerns raised above… a fact does remain that people do get hurt by the church for many reasons, and turned away or not allowed to partake in the Mass for many reasons (some more theological than others)

Yet those turned away or not adhering to the see of Rome still feel the need to receive a consecrated Host and I personally feel that this idea is an attempt at genuine outreach…

The Post the Host website does further state that the consecrated Hosts are given for free to persons who can not afford postage…Yes it a little ‘McDonaldisation of Religion’ I grant you…but if it brings someone closer to our Lord should we not celebrate - we are after all ALL Christians and should see past our denominations.

The OEC from what I have read are not in communion with Rome albeit they do have Apostolicity.

It could only be seen this way by someone with absolutely no understanding of the Sacrament itself. If this were real, as the charlatan bishop purports, it would be the BODY of CHRIST. Would you put the Lord God Almighty in a box to be tossed about in a lorry? When the Sacrament is moved from one place to another it is at the very least carried in a solid gold Pyx by a duly instituted Acolyte, and that’s only because there aren’t enough deacons around to do things properly.

Dear friend thank you for your comments; however people do view the sacraments differently, not everyone shares your beliefs or that of the Roman see.

I for example personally feel its what is in ones heart that truly matters and therefore share the Hosts and communion with many people of many denominations.

Theology around the Sacraments will never be agreed upon so maybe we could celebrate our different ways of coming to the Lord?

Best regards

I just checked on the price of unconsecrated hosts in the UK and this fellow not only is practicing simony and possibly opening himself to sacriledge since he doesn’t seem to check whose buying the things. But, he’s also gouging the faithful! The cost of one unconsecrated host at the site I checked was a little more than 1p or 2 cents each while he’s charging 2 Pounds or $4 for one! How much p&p (or sh&h) is involved? Is he charging for the full price of a mass which is NOT being offered in your honor? Also if he does have valid faculties to do this how do you know he actually did consecrate the host? He also expects you to celebrate your own mass minus consecration and this is aimed at those who can’t get to his masses ie. infirm and home bound people who are probably too sick to do that and then there’s the issue of self-intinction that I know of no church approving. Very dodgy business!:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.