Post your favorite quick fix take-along recipes

We are all going to holiday get togethers… so let’s share our favorite “quick and easy” recipes. ac_claire already took care of th deviled eggs in this thread… so add to the list of great quick fixers!

Here are my two, they are eas and crowd pleasers every time:

Fettuccine Salad:

16 oz. Fettuccine (one box)
1 C. Mayo (not Miracle Whip)
1 C. Frozen Corn Kernels
1/2 C. Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (use a better parmesan or the kind that comes pre-shredded in bags… don’t use Kraft in the can!)
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1-2 tsp. Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2-4 Green Onions Tops, sliced

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain. Mix pasta and frozen corn kernels in a bowl.

While pasta is cooking slice the green onion tops and mix together the mayo, cheese, garlic powder, green onion, and freshly ground black pepper to make sauce. Set aside

Combine the pasta/corn mixture with sauce and mix well. (tongs work nicely to combine everything).

Put in your serving dish and sprinkle a little more grated parmesan cheese on top and crack some more pepper over the top with your pepper mill. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

Sausage Balls

2 C Bisquick or other brand biscuit mix
2 C freshly grated cheddar cheese (can use anywhere from mild to sharp)
1 lb bulk sausage (I use 1 tube of Jimmy Dean regular or Jimmy Dean hot depending on who will be eating it!)

Preheat oven to 350. Line 1-2 cookie sheets with foil.

Put the Bisquick in a bowl. Incorporate freshly grated cheese a little at a time, mixing as you add cheese. I do it in about 4 handfuls of cheese. Mixing it like this keeps it from clumping up.

Add the bulk sausage and then squish it up with your hands. Keep kneading/mixing until all of the cheese and bisquick are incorporated into the sausage. You will then have a big ball of sausage.

Pinch off 1 inch pieces and roll into little balls in your palms. Place on the foil lined cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 350. It makes about 36-42 sausage balls depending on how big you make them.

When done, take them out of the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes. After they cool they will peel right off the foil. TIP: If you try to take them off too soon, they will stick to the foil and you will have a mess.

Here’s something sweet, colorful, easy to make and a hit with the kids…

Tutti-Frutti Salad (known colloquially in my family as “Barf Delight”)

1 can fruit cocktail (with cherries), about 15 oz.
1 small box jell-o (cherry flavor)
1 container small curd cottage cheese (not the big container)
1 container Cool Whip, thawed (small container is okay, use more if desired)

Drain most of the juice from fruit cocktail and place in large bowl. Stir in jell-o until dissolved in cocktail juice. Mix in cottage cheese. Fold in Cool Whip until fluffy. Chill at least 2 hours.

Make these ahead of time, freeze and reheat!

Oriental BBQ chicken drummies

4 lb. chicken drummettes (you can buy them in the freezer section–thaw them before using)
1 cup BBQ sauce (original flavor)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup honey
salt and pepper and garlic powder

Spread chicken drummies in 2-inch deep baking dish (you may need two, depending on size of dish–spray it with Pam or Baker’s Joy to make your life easier at cleanup time!) Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover with foil and place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix BBQ sauce, soy sauce and honey. Pour over drummies, turning to coat. Cover and bake another 15 minutes. Turn drummies. Cover and bake another 15 minutes. Remove foil, turn drummies once more (make sure they’re being well-coated with sauce) and bake a final 15 minutes, uncovered. Toss in sauce just before serving. Either serve immediately or let cool, place in disposable foil pan (pour leftover sauce on top) and cover tightly with foil and freeze for up to two weeks. Thaw overnight and reheat in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes (do not remove foil until ready to serve.)

Well this isn't really a meal in of itself, but it's good for parties or get togethers:

Get 2 packages of Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese and mix with 1 container of store-bought pesto (I use Buitoni or Classico). Mix it up real well, then form into a ball and roll the ball in chopped pecans or walnuts until it's covered. Serve with crackers, chips, celery or carrot sticks, etc.

Popeyes Chicken

Awwhh 1ke, what a great thread and some really good recipes to taste. And I'm sure lots more to come.

As a husband though, my favorite receipt to bring is.........................
What Estesbob said...Popeyes Chicken. :D:p

[quote="ac_claire, post:3, topic:179546"]
Well this isn't really a meal in of itself, but it's good for parties or get togethers:

Get 2 packages of Kraft Philadelphia cream cheese and mix with 1 container of store-bought pesto (I use Buitoni or Classico). Mix it up real well, then form into a ball and roll the ball in chopped pecans or walnuts until it's covered. Serve with crackers, chips, celery or carrot sticks, etc.

[/quote]

Mmm, I'll have to try this. Here's a variation...

Set a block of cream cheese on a plate. Get a small jar of a sweet and spicy jam or preserves such as jalapeno pepper jelly (my favorite? Hot Pepper Peach spread or, if I'm lucky, Hot Habanero Peach preserves! WOW!) Stir the preserves or jelly until of spreading consistency and pour over the block of cream cheese (leave the corners exposed for a nice look.) Serve with crackers, pecan or walnut halves, or celery sticks or apple slices. For best spreadability, let it sit out for a about 20 minutes before serving.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.