Pot seen as reason for rise in Denver homeless

From the AP:

Officials at some Denver homeless shelters say the legalization of marijuana has contributed to an increase in the number of younger people living on the city’s streets.

One organization dealing with the increase is Urban Peak, which provides food, shelter and other services to homeless people aged 15 to 24 in Denver and Colorado Springs.

“Of the new kids we’re seeing, the majority are saying they’re here because of the weed,” deputy director Kendall Rames told The Denver Post (dpo.st/1l1vQER ). “They’re traveling through. It is very unfortunate.”

The Salvation Army’s single men’s shelter in Denver has been serving more homeless this summer, and officials have noted an increase in the number of 18- to 25-year-olds there.

I would never have seen that happening.

Not surprising, people saw the legalization of pot as recess. Many problem started missing work, not going to school.

I think its more likely already homeless people in this age range are traveling to CO, just so they can be in a place where pot is legal, so they can lie around all day and get high legally.

Around here, Heroin is the number one problem, causing homelessness and all sorts of other problems, pot is not even mentioned anymore, its not really a problem here, the opiates and meth are the real dangers…these are the drugs that have terrible withdrawls and what pushes alot of people to do criminal acts just to stave off the sickness, pot does not have those terrible withdrawls though, it does not effect the same part of the brain that opiates do.

Thats my guess too.

Another fine example of the Democratic party at work.

"Even Democratic governors presiding over legalization are not wearing “Bong Hits for Jesus” T-shirts. When Washington voters voted on legalization in 2012, Jay Inslee was running for governor and unsuccessfully opposed it. Colorado’s John Hickenlooper came out against the Colorado initiative, which also passed. Neither has gotten giddy about the idea since then.

But it’s hard for Democrats to justify treating mere possession as a crime, if only because that policy has so many corrosive effects they should care about. It squanders revenue that could be used for more useful government programs. It causes blacks to be arrested four times more often than whites, even though they smoke weed at roughly the same rate.

It encourages police to stop and frisk — a practice that in New York City, a federal judge ruled last year, led to violations of the Constitution and unjustified racial profiling.

Democratic politicians could be making the case for change at a time when the public is increasingly receptive to a new policy. Instead, they are clinging blindly to the status quo. They undoubtedly are smarter than the average rodent. But even rats know enough to leave a sinking ship."

Let alone the rest of the legal implications they glossed over along the way, like interstate transportation, the Federal mail system, and DUIs on the interstates. We’ll have to conceded Denver to the pot heads they can’t go no-where else with the pot. :shrug:

You would think they would be more worried about Americas Drug Habit and the pipe-line to Central American for the cartels and the rest of their vice that follows, like murder, prostitution and exploitation of children. :slight_smile:

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Farticles.chicagotribune.com%2F2014-04-10%2Fnews%2Fct-marijuana-legal-democrats-chapman-oped-0410-20140410_1_legalization-pot-issue-democrats&ei=uWDUU9PmI-Hq8QHTgoGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNEfCG7ojc86cv5QmtBsGWwZ8MPvew

If this is true, I would expect a slight drop (or at least a decrease in the rate of increase) in homelessness in surrounding areas. Any idea if this is true?

To be honest though, I’m not surprised by the news even taken at face value (pot causes homelessness). Amazingly enough, drugs that mess up the brain mess up the brain.

Yeah, I saw this on the news tonight and thought, “Duh.”

Those who want to escape reality for awhile may not become addicted to marijuana like they would to heroin. On the other hand, some could easily become addicted to the psychological escape. This report doesn’t surprise me a bit, though it saddens me deeply.

I’m still gobsmacked that voters actually approved this stupidity! I already know of one acquaintance who lost her job because she went to work stoned.

God, have mercy!

Gertie

Yup, I think things will get worse before they get better. We all know what happens to a culture that gradually pushes God out of the public sphere. So much of our culture has completely lost its moral compass.

Welcome to Colorado! :blush:

Yeah, when I saw that the vote was overwhelmingly in favor of legalization – and once I’d picked my jaw up off the floor – I told my son that the job market in his future looked great for him now :shrug: Well, that’s the best I could come up with for putting a positive spin on this. I nearly cried as we watched the results that night…

Prayer and penance, prayer and penance, prayer and penance…

Gertie

They find money for heroin but not for a home? It just goes to show that many people would rather feel good than be responsible. It’s a reasonable forseeable event.

Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal.

And of course the New York Times comes out today characterizing anti-marijuana laws as the new Prohibition, an unsuccessful law, and calling for legalization.

They repeated all the pro-marijuana talking points. Its a major legal issue with the Federal Laws as indicated. Further there is no need for the government to tax a weed that grows wild and then control distribution. If they want to legalize it then let people grow it for use on their own property just like tomato’s and basil etc.

Its no big deal right? The Obama administration doesn’t have any interest but to profit off Americas addiction issues. Thats really all there is to it. They won’t be allowing you to add it to your garden by buying seed packets. And if its no big deal than this is what they should be doing.

Further people who do this, the US places in prison for cultivation.

While there is generally little difference among state and federal drug manufacturing laws, marijuana has carved out a special exception. The federal government treats marijuana cultivation similar to the manufacture of other Schedule I drugs with respect to charges and sentencing.

Under federal law, cultivation of less than 50 marijuana plants can result in up to five years in prison, or up to a possible life sentence for 1,000 or more plants. Individuals in states that have allowed for the medical use of marijuana or have legalized it are not exempt from federal enforcement. Understand?

Its not clear because if no profit exists than no interest exists by the Government for drug addicts and users, its really that simple. Don’t confuse the issue to think they doing you a favor with dope. They just want your dope money like drug dealers

Marijuana “messes up the brain”. What does this mean? Surely tobacco must really “mess up the brain” as millions continue to smoke and die from cigarettes- thus something is clearly wrong wit the decision-making processes- correct?

When I lived in Colorado, Boulder had an unusually high number of homeless people as a sort of pot tourism. The stuff was widely used and easily found so many people did a sort of drug pilgrimage to Boulder. It was thought of as a Colorado Berkeley. I imagine the new law has attracted a larger group of drug pilgrims seeking a drug lifestyle and looking to become Coloradoans so they can increase the amount of pot they are allowed to buy. They folks are looking for something and they have settled for a drug as a sort of idol. I hope we can reach some of them because they are in need of strength and hope beyond the temporary escape their drug gives them. Drugs will always let you down in the long run.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.