Potentially awkward situation

Ok, so the good news part of this question is that three co-workers and I won a competition recently and our prize was two tickets each to a MLB baseball game. Normally I would be thrilled to win free baseball tickets (good seats too)...but...

The downside here is that the tickets were distributed under the assumption each person will be able to take their significant other along with them for a Friday night out. All three of my co-workers who won tickets along with me are roughly twice my age and have been married for many years now. I on the other hand am a single guy in my late 20s. And that is where the problem lies... who do I invite with me to the game?

A handful of my guy friends would normally be interested, but if I tell them that we'll be sitting with 3 of my older co-workers and their husbands/wives it all of sudden becomes less appealing. There are one or two female friends I could take that enjoy baseball a lot, but I don't want them to feel awkward like they are on a (quadruple) date with me. Plus there is always the chance she or I will (mistakenly) be asked awkward questions like - "how long have you two been together?" There is a guy I am friends with who is in his late 50s I could invite, assuming he doesn't have family obligations, but that is kind of a longshot and I don't know if he would mesh well with the rest of the group.

It would also be rude for me not to go or sell the tickets. Going alone would waste a ticket. I've thought about giving them to a friend of mine so he could take his son, but I am not sure if that would be appropriate either.

So I guess I am stuck...what would you do in my situation? thoughts?

(Lately I seem to be encountering situations where being single is making things awkward for me).

ask a guy friend, or lady friend, who likes baseball and will enjoy the game, real fans don't care who is in the other seats around them

it would be a really nice gesture to invite another coworker who likes baseball but did not win the lottery, which should eliminate unwelcome personal questions which by the way are much less likely from the older crowd who are less likely to jump to conclusions

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:203825"]
ask a guy friend, or lady friend, who likes baseball and will enjoy the game, real fans don't care who is in the other seats around them

it would be a really nice gesture to invite another coworker who likes baseball but did not win the lottery, which should eliminate unwelcome personal questions which by the way are much less likely from the older crowd who are less likely to jump to conclusions

[/quote]

This was going to be my suggestion...

Have you actually asked your single male friends if they would be uncomfortable with the other couples? It just sounds like you are overthinking the situation. Its a sporting event, its not like you are going to a restaurant with the other people that won the contest. I say ask whomever you want, worry less if anyone is uncomfortable. I don't think the other couples are thinking the same as you are, that you should find a date or anything. If you can't find someone or its too awkward for you, offer the tickets to the other couples, maybe they know of someone that could buy the tickets from you.

I like this idea.

If you don't have a girl friend, why not ask your sister or female cousin ([size=2]if you have sister or female cousin)[/size]

I was in a similar situation many years ago.. The boss was having his annual Christmas party and all were expected to come as a couple.. My then girl friend (now wife) was in college 200 miles away and would not be home until 3 days after the party (final exams) ... So, I called my cousin explained the situation and she came with me to the party.

PatriceA is pretty on target. Take any friend who you want to or give the tickets to a couple. It’s a ball game! I would take it another step, find a couple who may need some time together. Give them the tickets and watch their kids for them while they take in the game! True generosity is a beautiful thing. :smiley:

Are you sure your co-workers are bringing their wives? Because I wouldn't go to a baseball game with dh, lol. Its hot and the seats are hard, and I'm just not a big sports fan. Last time dh got some free tickets he took his brother.

Why not just invite whomever you want.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:3, topic:203825"]
This was going to be my suggestion...

[/quote]

Me too.

I'm not a huge sports fan, so any time I've ever won tickets to games, I give them to my priest. He takes a friend with him, and as far as I know they have a good time. :)

You are WAY overthinking this.

Invite a buddy. It doesn't matter that the other guys are older, or may have their wives with them. You will be able to socialize with your friend, eat some 'dogs and drink some brews, and see a game. Does it really matter who else is sitting in the row with you? You aren't expected to group hug or anything.

Just go enjoy the game with a buddy.

Could you take your friend’s son?

Jay - You have to balance taking a co-worker who did not win the lottery with any hard feelings that would cause. This depends on the politics and social interactions within the office. Just give it a thought as I have had to deal with a similar situation in my career. The people who "lost" might see taking a loser as a slap in their face.

If not a co-worker, maybe an older relative like an uncle? (I assume your Dad is not in the picture - hope he lives a long way away and is not deceased).

If all else fails, I can't stand to see you anguishing over this. In the spirit of Christian charity, I would be willing to pick up this cross and go to the game. What time will you be picking me up?:D

Don't assume that the "older people" wouldn't enjoy time with you and a friend.

My mom and dad often socialize with my brother & his buddies (all singles) and I myself have a close friend who is about 25 years older than me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.