Pouring of Christ's Blood

I am currently in the process of writing a letter to my parish priests, in response to an abuse (malpractice? what is the correct word?) I’ve noticed they are not supposed to pour the precious Blood into separate chalices after the consecration, because of reverence and to avoid spillage. I quoted the appropriate article from Redemptionis Sacramentum, as well as one that states bishops may issue norms but only after receiving recognition from the Holy See. (I don’t know whether our bishop has said it’s okay or not…but just in case…) Mainly I am concerned because it’s disconcerting and distracting to watch this happening at Mass…but the larger issue is that Rome has said this is WRONG. I’m not being overly scrupulous, am I?

Does anyone know the passage in Scripture that says if something is bothersome to a fellow believer, you shouldn’t do it… or something along those lines? I want to add that to my letter as well. Also if you have any quotes from saints or popes or anything, feel free to share… thank you. :slight_smile:

Nicole

I don’t think you are being overly scrupulous. An abuse against the Eucharist (Precious Blood or Host) is the MOST serious offense since the celebration of the Eucharist is the core of the Catholic Faith. There is nothing more important in a Catholic Church than the Body and Blood of our Lord.

I would run into a burning Church if I thought there was a 1% chance I could save a single consecrated Host from the flames.

After consecration, the Precious Blood IS Jesus. He should not be handled in an irreverent manner. Be prepared to notify the Bishop if it isn’t rectified in a timely manner.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.