Pouring the Precious Blood down sacrarium

Last sunday the Priest gave our RCIA class a tour of the Parish. While showing us the room with the Sacrarium (sink that goes directly to the ground) he said that one purpose for the Sacrarium is to dispose of the Precious Blood from the Mass if too much was consecrated that could possibly be consumed by the Priest. I read that this practice is strictly prohibited.

Is this true? If it is, what should I do? Like I said, I am in the RCIA class and am not yet a Catholic.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

After the chalice is purified -- the remaining Precious Blood is consumed and the chalice is washed with water which is also consumed -- the chalice would be washed well and that water is poured in the sacrarium.

This is from Redemptionis Sacramentum (bolding is mine):

[107.] In accordance with what is laid down by the canons, “one who throws away the consecrated species or takes them away or keeps them for a sacrilegious purpose, incurs a latae sententiae excommunication reserved to the Apostolic See; a cleric, moreover, may be punished by another penalty, not excluding dismissal from the clerical state”.[194] To be regarded as pertaining to this case is any action that is voluntarily and gravely disrespectful of the sacred species. Anyone, therefore, who acts contrary to these norms, for example casting the sacred species into the sacrarium or in an unworthy place or on the ground, incurs the penalties laid down.[195] Furthermore all will remember that once the distribution of Holy Communion during the celebration of Mass has been completed, the prescriptions of the Roman Missal are to be observed, and **in particular, whatever may remain of the Blood of Christ must be entirely and immediately consumed by the Priest or by another minister, **according to the norms, while the consecrated hosts that are left are to be consumed by the Priest at the altar or carried to the place for the reservation of the Eucharist.[196]

I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand him. I remember he said "In a situation where more wine than could possibly be consumed was prepared then it would be disposed of here"

[quote="milby, post:3, topic:305957"]
I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand him. I remember he said "In a situation where more wine than could possibly be consumed was prepared then it would be disposed of here"

[/quote]

That is bad then. If there is too much Precious Blood, the priest can always ask someone to help him consume it all.

I know. So what should I do about it. Should I just wait until I am officially Catholic or should I report it to someone?

If the priest who said this is not the pastor of the parish, the pastor should be notified immediately. If he is the pastor, you should privately ask him to clarify what he meant, and print a copy of the document "Redemptionis Sacramentum" referenced above to have with you. If your understanding is correct that he is disposing of the Precious Blood, and the pastor insists it isn't a problem, you need to notify the Bishop immediately. The Precious Blood is God Himself, and this is a grave sacrilege, one for which the priest could possibly even be excommunicated and dismissed from the clerical state.

Ask the priest first again and clarify. Maybe he misspoke.

It is never pemitted to pour the precious blood down the sacrarium.
:confused::confused::confused:

Unless it is very heavily diluted so that it no longer resembles wine. Suppose it had become contaminated, for instance, by saliva or vomit - it is allowable to dilute it and dispose of it down the sacrarium then.

When either the Precious Blood or the Body are so diluted with water that they no longer resemble wine or the wafer, there is no longer the Real Presence.

I am wondering if that was at the back of what the priest said. Maybe the point he was trying to make was emphasising the special nature of the sacrarium.

The way he said it, sounded like it is very rare that it happens. He said if for some reason they had way too much that the priest could not possibly consume it. I will ask him to clarify. Hopefully he mis-spoke.

Giving him a chance to clarify sounds like the best approach.

One of the things we emphasize to the RCIA folks at our parish is how special the Eucharist is and how we handle even tiny bits that may remain in a reverent way. When we do the church tour we explain about purifying the vessels and how the sacrarium is used because we wouldn’t want to chance having the Precious Blood go down a sewer pipe. My hope is that they walk away with a little more awe at this wonderful gift they will one day receive.

Give him the benefit of the doubt.

It was probably an exaggerated example to emphasize the difference between the sacrarium and the regular sink that drains into the sewer.

You can always ask him for clarification.

[quote="Richard320, post:12, topic:305957"]
Give him the benefit of the doubt.

[/quote]

I would not...one person has thought to question this- how many others wouldn't question it? It is absolutely wrong to pour the Precious Blood down the sacrarium. If too much is consecrated, the priest needs to drink the rest or ask someone else to help him. The priest is seriously mistaken here.

Could you please use my whole quote before scolding? I did say the OP could ask him for clarification. We should not assume the worst about people, especially not a priest.

Perhaps it’s not coming across well in the written form, but your reply sounds as though you feel this RCIA candidate should assume the priest intentionally desecrates the Precious Blood. Should Milby storm in and accuse him of such and thrust official documents at him? Wouldn’t it be more productive to assume, as my post (the part you didn’t quote) said, that it was an exaggerated example and ask him for clarification?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.