Poverty Each Year Kills 900,000 Children

misna.org/default.asp?IDLingua=1

Each year 900,000 children die due to the extreme poverty in which they are forced to live. A death toll equivalent to the victims of three tsunamis of identical force to the one that struck the Asian coasts last December 26. These figures were issued by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), a few days from a summit to be held between September 14 and 16 at UN headquarters in New York. The UNDP specifies that 1,200 children die each day in the world from hunger, pandemics, extreme health conditions in which they are forced to live. “Putting poverty and development at the centre of their agenda, the political leaders of the planet have an unprecedented opportunity to help achieve the Millennium Goals”, indicates the UNDP report.

[quote=Matt25]misna.org/default.asp?IDLingua=1

Each year 900,000 children die due to the extreme poverty in which they are forced to live. A death toll equivalent to the victims of three tsunamis of identical force to the one that struck the Asian coasts last December 26. These figures were issued by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), a few days from a summit to be held between September 14 and 16 at UN headquarters in New York. The UNDP specifies that 1,200 children die each day in the world from hunger, pandemics, extreme health conditions in which they are forced to live. “Putting poverty and development at the centre of their agenda, the political leaders of the planet have an unprecedented opportunity to help achieve the Millennium Goals”, indicates the UNDP report.
[/quote]

IMHO The world has been throwing money at this for as long as I can remember. The countries that need the most help are those that have internal governmental problems and can’t or won’t distribute the resources to those it was ment for. Some of the money that is given for food is turned into weapons to keep the masses in line.

Those countries that have used the relief wisely are countries we are now compeating with. Money and help should be given to those who will use it wisely. That is being a good steward of what the world has to offer.

[quote=Matt25]misna.org/default.asp?IDLingua=1

[/quote]

Yeah, forced to live in those conditions because of brutal, repressive, corrupt governments…you know, like Iraq was. Look what we get for trying to help there.

[quote=tcay584]Yeah, forced to live in those conditions because of brutal, repressive, corrupt governments…you know, like Iraq was. Look what we get for trying to help there.
[/quote]

When did Bush say that poverty relief was the reason for invading Iraq? There are non-military solutions to problems you know.

[quote=KathleenElsie]Some of the money that is given for food is turned into weapons to keep the masses in line.

[/quote]

Which countries in the world sell the most weaponry (clue: its the same countries that provide aid)

[quote=Matt25]There are non-military solutions to problems you know.
[/quote]

And you are quoting from which French or Russian source?

[quote=Matt25]When did Bush say that poverty relief was the reason for invading Iraq? There are non-military solutions to problems you know.
[/quote]

He didn’t, nor did I imply he did. Just saying that most poverty stricken countries are the result of brutal dictators (like Saddam) who don’t give a whit about their own people.
Yes, there are non-military solutions when one is dealing with sane people. You let me know of the last one that worked to remove an oppressive regime.

[quote=Matt25]Which countries in the world sell the most weaponry (clue: its the same countries that provide aid)
[/quote]

:nope: Sorry won’t bite at your rude reply. My two lonely brain cells doing all this work just made my head hurt when I tried to think just now. So I quess you will have to give me the answer to your question.
Oh, and a question does require a question mark.:banghead:

Originally Posted by Matt25
There are non-military solutions to problems you know.

[quote=Ani Ibi]And you are quoting from which French or Russian source?
[/quote]

Pope John Paul II ireland.com/focus/papaldeath/drogheda.htm

Public opinion is growing in consciousness of the absurdity of war as a means to resolve differences. More and more, peace is seen as a necessary condition for fraternal relations among nations, and among peoples. Peace is more and more clearly seen as the only way to justice; peace is itself the work of justice. And yet again, and again, one can see how peace is undermined and destroyed. Why is it then that our convictions do not always match our behaviour and our attitudes? Why is it that we do not seem to be able to banish all conflicts from our lives?

Peace is the result of many converging attitudes and realities: it is the product of moral concerns of ethical principles based on the Gospel message and fortified by it…

…peace cannot be established by violence, peace can never flourish in a climate of terror, intimidation and death. It is Jesus himself who said: “All who take the sword will perish by the sword” (Mt,26:52). This is the word of God, and it commands this generation of violent men to desist from hatred and violence and to repent…

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.

[quote=tcay584]He didn’t, nor did I imply he did. Just saying that most poverty stricken countries are the result of brutal dictators (like Saddam) who don’t give a whit about their own people.
Yes, there are non-military solutions when one is dealing with sane people. You let me know of the last one that worked to remove an oppressive regime.
[/quote]

The Orange Revolution in Ukraine, the Rose Revolution in Georgia, the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia.

Not to mention the way the Indians drove the British out of the sub-Continent

Oh yes and what brought about an end to racial segregation in the USA?

[quote=Matt25]The Orange Revolution in Ukraine, the Rose Revolution in Georgia, the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia.

Oh yes and what brought about an end to racial segregation in the USA?
[/quote]

What is this thread about?

[quote=Ani Ibi]What is this thread about?
[/quote]

Poverty each year kills 900 000 children

This is why it is so vital that the Millennium Goals are retained as key to the UN and are hit by 2015 - not thrown away for whatever reasons Mr Bolton wants to do it for.

Mike

[quote=Matt25]Which countries in the world sell the most weaponry (clue: its the same countries that provide aid)
[/quote]

Do you have a source for this double assertion?

It would seem to me that absolute comparisons of arms exports are largely useless. Russia (#1 exporter on some lists) and France (#3) are known to send arms to the highest bidder. Exports of relatively benign military goods (U.S. exports a lot of uniforms, trucks, mre’s) are considered equivalent to exports of highly destabilizing weaponry. I would argue that a small $-value export of nuclear weapon technology (say by Pakistan to Iran) is far more serious than a large $-value US export of uniforms and trucks to Iraq. But somehow I doubt that that concerns those who use these lists to bash the U.S. :rolleyes:

[quote=Matt25]The Orange Revolution in Ukraine, the Rose Revolution in Georgia, the Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia.

[/quote]

And do you understand the fundamental difference between the situations in the Ukraine, Georgia, Czechoslovakia, and India, and what is faced by those in, oh let’s say, the African sub-continent or even Iraq?

[quote=Matt25]Pope John Paul II ireland.com/focus/papaldeath/drogheda.htm

Public opinion is growing in consciousness of the absurdity of war as a means to resolve differences. More and more, peace is seen as a necessary condition for fraternal relations among nations, and among peoples. Peace is more and more clearly seen as the only way to justice; peace is itself the work of justice. And yet again, and again, one can see how peace is undermined and destroyed. Why is it then that our convictions do not always match our behaviour and our attitudes? Why is it that we do not seem to be able to banish all conflicts from our lives?

Peace is the result of many converging attitudes and realities: it is the product of moral concerns of ethical principles based on the Gospel message and fortified by it…

…peace cannot be established by violence, peace can never flourish in a climate of terror, intimidation and death. It is Jesus himself who said: “All who take the sword will perish by the sword” (Mt,26:52). This is the word of God, and it commands this generation of violent men to desist from hatred and violence and to repent…

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
[/quote]

And can you come up with a sensible union of this statement and the Church’s Just War Doctrine?

It seems to me that those who quote the above conveniently ignore JWD.

[quote=Evangel]Do you have a source for this double assertion?

[/quote]

globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/BigBusiness.asp

[list]
*]World Military Spending Out Does Anything Else
*]Arms sales figures
[list]
*]Breaking down worldwide numbers
[list]
*]Arms Sales By Supplier Nations
*]Arms Sales Trends 1996-2003
*]Top Recipient Developing Nations
[/list]
*]Recent worldwide decline
*]Hidden Corporate Welfare?
[/list]
*]As world trade globalizes, so does the trade in arms
[list]
*]Arms Trade Post September 11, 2001
[/list]
*]It does not seem to matter who arms are sold to
*]Geopolitical and Economic Agendas
*]Government Military Budgets and Spending
[/list]

[quote=Evangel]And can you come up with a sensible union of this statement and the Church’s Just War Doctrine?

It seems to me that those who quote the above conveniently ignore JWD.
[/quote]

You think you know more about the Catholic Faith than Pope John Paul II did?

[quote=Matt25]globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/BigBusiness.asp
[list]
*]World Military Spending Out Does Anything Else
*]Arms sales figures
[list]
*]Breaking down worldwide numbers
[list]
*]Arms Sales By Supplier Nations
*]Arms Sales Trends 1996-2003
*]Top Recipient Developing Nations
[/list]
*]Recent worldwide decline
*]Hidden Corporate Welfare?
[/list]
*]As world trade globalizes, so does the trade in arms

[list]
*]Arms Trade Post September 11, 2001
[/list]
*]It does not seem to matter who arms are sold to
*]Geopolitical and Economic Agendas
*]Government Military Budgets and Spending
[/list]
[/quote]

Sorry I read your “insightful information.”

Please read about who runs this site. What he believes and how he and others slant their information.

globalissues.org/about.asp

Originally Posted by Evangel
*And can you come up with a sensible union of this statement and the Church’s Just War Doctrine?

It seems to me that those who quote the above conveniently ignore JWD.*

[quote=Matt25]You think you know more about the Catholic Faith than Pope John Paul II did?
[/quote]

This does not answer Evangel’s question. Please apply the JWD to your theory – section by section.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.