Power and authority??????

If the Catholic church, “by her own inherent God given power and authority” gave the world the Bible, why did she not get it right the first time? Why did the Roman Catholic church wait until 1546 AD in the Council of Trent, to officially add the Apocrypha to the Canon?

The deuterocanonicals were in the canon of scripture at around 400AD. I think the specific year may have been 382? Regardless, the Council of Trent simply reaffirmed that those seven books were part of scripture after Luther so carelessly ripped them out. It didn’t add anything; all it did was state again what was known for an entire millennium: that the deuterocanonicals are inspired!

QUOTE=phoenix3212;5324505]The deuterocanonicals were in the canon of scripture at around 400AD. I think the specific year may have been 382? Regardless, the Council of Trent simply reaffirmed that those seven books were part of scripture after Luther so carelessly ripped them out. It didn’t add anything; all it did was state again what was known for an entire millennium: that the deuterocanonicals are inspired!

It didn’t add anything

If it was not there to begin with then Yes it was added.

According to wikipedia:

“councils in the West published official canons that included these books as early as the fourth and fifth centuries.”

If anything, you can say that “Yes it was added,” but at the exact same time every other book in the Bible was “added.”

Really not interested in what wiki has to say, what does God’s Word say?

Do you know when the Bible came into existence? It was officially canonized through a series of councils at the end of the fourth century and beginning of the fifth, which were convened by the Catholic Church. The Bible is does not inspire itself.

For a second, let’s assume that the Bible isn’t inspired. Alright. Since the Gospels were written so shortly after the life of Christ, they are likely historically accurate (that doesn’t mean they’re necessarily inspired). These four documents–the Gospels–attest to the fact that Jesus established a Church. So, that Church would then have the authority to proclaim which documents are inspired and which aren’t. And it did, which is why you now have a Bible.

We have the bible because it is God’s desire.

Were in the bible say that ‘it is God’s desire’ to have the bible?

The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th century Christians didn’t have the the bible as we have it now. The Church got it right the first time and we should be grateful for it.

Yes. And how did he accomplish that? Through the true Church he himself established! :smiley:

and how do you know she didnt get it right in the first time? what do you know about this? what have you been told?

The council that affirmed the canon of the Bible was held in 397 AD and was closed in 419 AD with the addition of Revelation. That canon has never changed for the Catholic Church. The only reason the Council of Trent was held and the canon of the bible was reaffirmed want because of a DEMAND from Martin Luther that the Church re-evaluate the Canon because he didn’t like it and it didn’t fit in with what he wanted to teach.

Also, historical fact.

But it was there to begin with. Luther took them out mainly for two reasons.

1. They contradicted what he was preaching. He almost took out the letter of James, but some of his royal followers wouldn’t have it.
  2. The Jews that were in his area did not have the deuterocanon in their holy book. This is for a number of reasons, but all you really need to know is that this occured because the very ‘added’ books you claim are wrong were key in many conversions of jews into Christians, and also it occurred after the destruction of the temple at the council of Javenah (spelling) (and thus after the time of Christ and after he had already established his Church and vested authority in the apostles) and so they did not want any ‘gentile’ influences in their book.

Reason # 2 was the excuse Luther used to discredit those books, but in reality, what with his denial of the book of James, it was really most likely reason # 1.

Uh-oh God’s written word doesn’t have anything to say about the complete canon. Are you sure you want to go there?

God bless you

AMEN

Oh and by the way, the apostles used the same cannon that the Catholic Church used, and also the same one the pharisees used. (i believe)

Absolutely, but where in the bible is the list of the books that were to be in the bible. And where did you get the idea that the Church added the deutrocanonicals in 1546?

Oh and by the way, the apostles used the same cannon that the Catholic Church used, and also the same one the pharisees used. (i believe)

I was going to contradict you, but I assume you were talking about the Old Testament canon.

Yes

I would not have asked if I didn’t

Take us there, then. What does the Word of God have to say? Everyone else so far has stated that the Bible doesn’t have anything to say about the authentic canon (it seems like a contradiction in terms, really), so somebody needs to bring up some relevant Scripture for it to become part of the discussion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.