Powers of absolution and consecration from bishops to priests?

I am able to see very easily in Scripture where the basis is for bishops having the power of absolution, consecration, annointing, and so forth.

However, I have a harder time seeing where this ability was given to priests, or where the lesser office of the priesthood is evidenced, or where the distinction between bishops and priests is. Any help?

[quote=Lazerlike42]I am able to see very easily in Scripture where the basis is for bishops having the power of absolution, consecration, annointing, and so forth.

However, I have a harder time seeing where this ability was given to priests, or where the lesser office of the priesthood is evidenced, or where the distinction between bishops and priests is. Any help?
[/quote]

It is there in the Scriptures but it developed after the apostolic era.

I don’t know if the following adds anything to what you already know or not:

www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

Timothy and Titus are commanded to ordain presbyters and deacons. They seem to exercise a greater authority than that of the presbyters they appoint. Perhaps this is a possible solution?

[quote=twf]Timothy and Titus are commanded to ordain presbyters and deacons. They seem to exercise a greater authority than that of the presbyters they appoint. Perhaps this is a possible solution?
[/quote]

twf is very modest. Of course, his/her answer is correct.

Building upon what Br. Rich said it is accurate to say that the role of the priest changed over time but was made relatively identical to what it is today very quickly. Remember that the power of a priest does not come from himself but is given to him by the Bishop. In a sense a priest is an extention of the Bishop in the Episcopal ministry.

Remember also what Holy Father St. Ignatius said: *Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. * (Letter to the Smyrnaeans). The Bishop has granted his priests the authority to confect the Holy Eucharist. The Bishop possesses the fulness of the Christian priesthood, part of which he shares with his presbyters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.