Practicing holy mass

When is the first time, seminarians practice the holy mass? Can a laity practice the holy mass? When they practice, do they use bread and do everything like in a true mass?

Usually in a seminarian's last year, the fourth year of theology, he will take Mass practicum (along with practicum for the other sacraments). By this time, the majority of seminarians have been ordained to the diaconate or are about to be. They practice Masses by going through all the parts from beginning to end as they would if they were ordained priests, just with the understanding that they are "shooting blanks" so to speak when it comes to the consecration. They even vest in chasuble and stole as they would if they were saying Mass and then perform all the parts of the liturgy.

This, of course, is the practice at my seminary; it may vary elsewhere. But I understand that this is not unusual.

-ACEGC

I think they have special permission to do this for obvious practical reasons.

I’m not sure why permission would be required, although I could ask my professors. I would assume that since it’s happening in a seminary in a classroom setting–and thus not in public–there’d be no need for any kind of permission to practice the rites of any of the sacraments.

-ACEGC

Thank you, your answer was very interesting. What do you think, could someone who is not yet in a seminary already practice a bit? Or is it a sin?

I would ask why if you are not in seminary you thought it necessary to practice celebrating Mass?

[quote="Andre1000, post:5, topic:289878"]
Thank you, your answer was very interesting. What do you think, could someone who is not yet in a seminary already practice a bit? Or is it a sin?

[/quote]

I don't think it would necessarily be a sin unless you were making yourself out to be a priest when in fact you are not. But that does beg the question--why "practice" if you're not in seminary? I would say there's nothing wrong with studying the prayers of the Mass or even trying to learn them better, but as for practicing, the main reason to practice something is that you will likely be doing it at some point in the near future. If you think you have a vocation to the priesthood, you should talk to your spiritual director about such, maybe get in touch with a vocations director in your diocese or a religious order.

-ACEGC

[quote="Andre1000, post:5, topic:289878"]

[/quote]

I can't remember it exactly but I'm pretty sure it's prohibited in Canon Law.

It is prohibited by Canon Law (can. 1378 §2 1°) to attempt to celebrate Mass by a non-ordained person. However, a person practicing in the privacy of his own home with no congregation could not be said to be attempting to celebrate the Mass. Nor could a child in his play said to be attempting to deceive anyone.

The real question is whether it is a useful endeavor for an adult to pretend to celebrate Mass for some reason. It seems that this could be delayed until one is actually in seminary and his ordination to the priesthood is imminent. Otherwise, it seems that one’s time would be better spent in study and prayer of things that concern the laity. I would recommend the Rosary or the Liturgy of the Hours as a profitable use of one’s time.

Thank you all for the answers. I just wonder. I have one last question:
When a priest wants to learn a other Form(like a Priest who can only OF wants to do EF mass) how can he prevent a liturgical abuse while practicing? Does he just skip the consecration words? I read that outside of mass the hole canon is forbidden for priest, but the canon in the EF is very difficult(because of the crosses and some other thinks)? So how can a priest practice?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.