PragerU - The Media Lied About Trump's Charlottesville Comments

Trump : OK, good. Well, are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue? So, you know what? It’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing culture and you had people, and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You got a lot of bad people in the other group, too.

Reporter : Who was treated unfairly? Sir, I’m sorry I don’t understand what you were saying. You were saying the press has treated white nationalists unfairly? I just don’t understand what you were saying.

Trump : No. No. There were people in that rally — and I looked the night before. If you look, there were people protesting very quietly the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee. I’m sure in that group there were some bad ones. The following day it looked like they had some rough, bad people: neo-Nazis, white nationalists, whatever you want to call them. But you had a lot of people in that group that were there to innocently protest — and very legally protest, because you know- I don’t know if you know, they had a permit. The other group didn’t have a permit. So, I only tell you this. There are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country, a horrible moment. But there are two sides to the country. Does anybody have a final- does anybody- you have an infrastructure question.

Reporter : What makes you think you can get an infrastructure bill? You didn’t get health care. You’re-

Trump : Well, you know, I’ll tell you. We came very close with health care, unfortunately, John McCain decided to vote against it at the last minute. You’ll have to ask John McCain why he did that. But we came very close to health care. We will end up getting health care. But we’ll get the infrastructure and actually, infrastructure is something that I think we’ll have bipartisan support on. I actually think- I actually think Democrats will go along with the infrastructure.

Reporter : Mr. President, have you spoken to the family- have you spoken to the family of the victim of the car attack?

Trump : No, I’ll be reaching out. I’ll be reaching out.

Reporter : When will you be reaching out?

Trump : I was very — I thought that the statement put out, the mother’s statement, I thought was a beautiful statement. I must tell you, I was- it was something that I really appreciated. I thought it was terrific, and really under the- under the kind of stress that she’s under and the heartache that she’s under, I thought putting out that statement to me was really something I won’t forget. Thank you all very much. Thank you. Thank you.

[Reporters shout questions.]

2 Likes

Reporter 1 : What about the nazis who support you?

Reporter 2 : Do you plan on going to Charlottesville, Mr. President?

Reporter 3 : Do you think you’re helping to heal the nation?

Trump : I own a house in Charlottesville. Does anyone know I own a house in Charlottesville?

Reporter : Where is it?

Trump : Oh, boy, it’s going to be- it’s in Charlottesville, you’ll see.

Reporter : Is it in the winery or something?

Trump : It’s a- it is the winery.

[Reporters shout questions.]

Trump : I mean, I know a lot about Charlottesville. Charlottesville is a great place that’s been very badly hurt over the last couple of days. I own- I own actually one of the largest wineries in the United States that’s in Charlottesville.

Reporter : What do you think needs to be done to overcome the racial divides in this country?

Trump : Well I really think jobs can have a big impact. I think if we continue to create jobs — over a million, substantially more than a million — and you can see just the other day, the car companies coming in with fox- you know, FoxConn. I think if we continue to create jobs at levels that I’m- that I’m creating jobs, I think that’s going to have a tremendous impact, positive impact on race relations.

[Indistinct.]

Reporter : And what you said today, how do you think that will impact the racial-

Trump : Because people are going to be working, they’re going to be making a lot of money, much more money than they ever thought possible.

Reporter : -your remarks today.

Trump : And the other thing, very important, I believe wages will start going up. They haven’t gone up for a long time. I believe wages now, because the economy is doing so well with respect to employment and unemployment, I believe wages will start to go up. I think that will have a tremendously positive impact on race relations. Thank you.

Above is the actual news Conference transcript.

Now we can proceed to honestly unpack it.

3 Likes

Interesting read.

2 Likes

And this again, is the summary you will RARELY hear on the Fake News outlets (see quotes below which ARE in context).

Here is the “meat” of what they used . . .
. . . And what they attempted to fool you (the viewer with) by NOT REPORTING oftentimes.

(Yes this leaked through a few times on the Fake News outlets, but often times it was IGNORED. Those PROFESSIONAL news folks KNEW they were omitting this second portion from you folks.)

Trump : [Inaudible.] You have some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group — excuse me, excuse me — I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

The broader context is there were bad people on both sides of the violence.

Neonazis and the protesters against the neonazis who were engaging in violence.

President Trump also said there were good people on “both sides”.

President Trump pivoted to the “very fine people” regarding “both sides” of the Statue issue.

Not “both sides” of the violent clashers.

How do we know for sure?

Because he explicitly stated it shortly after. And fortunately I have the quote for everybody to read below.

And I have the entire exchange to preempt those who are going to accuse me of “taking Trump out of context” which obviously I am not.

For the extra hard of heart, my response will just be to appeal to the readers to read the exchange and draw their own conclusions.

Men of goodwill, will come to the right conclusion almost always.

To read it in context is to understand that Trump was contrasting the nazis and the antifa-types,
versus the people who wanted to KEEP the statue as opposed to people who wanted to NOT KEEP the statue.

The actual transcript makes it obvious What President Trump did and supports President Trump (which is probably WHY I had to bypass the shadow-ban to get to the original transcript. At least with my searches.)

Later in the SAME INTERVIEW President Trump (to clear up any confusion) . . .

President Trump . . . You’re changing culture and you had people, and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats. You got a lot of bad people in the other group, too.

Bold mine.

You can see all of this in its entire context in the above actual news conference that I posted in its entirety.

This above out of context by the left, is their “racism” card they are attempting to manipulate you into swallowing. Don’t buy into it.

It is fake claims of racism. And in many cases it is just projection of their own leftist racism (I won’t get into WHY I am sure of this here).

5 Likes

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Someone might ask . . . .

Q: WHY do so many posts Cathoholic? I mean that is a lot of successive posts above for a CAF thread just to get a whole news conference in.

A: Because it is a historic news conference.

For example. Joe Biden used the Charlottesville Spoof (out of context of course) to kick off his whole Presidential campaign this time around.

Joe used a LIE to inaugurate his campaign (which is also “making history” for all the wrong reasons)!

Satire on Biden’s “I’m In” video below . . .

Unfortunately NOT satire by Biden here below.
Here is Biden’s real “I’m in” video. (Biden is looking directly at the camera lying to you.)

Notice also pro-abortion Biden (quoting the Declaration of Independence)
stopped short of “LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” at about 15 seconds into it.

Pro-abortion Joe Biden HAS “walked away from” (these ideals) in the Declaration. See Biden on 25-27 seconds.

Biden himself HAS completely walked away from these ideals
(with Biden projecting his own “walking away” from these ideals against Trump!)

At least the “ideals” of the RIGHT to LIFE portion of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”.

And of course there is no liberty or pursuit of happiness either if you are the one who was murdered by abortion (no “life”).

Biden is “projecting” (himself on Trump) . . . with his accusations against President Trump (at 25 seconds).

Again, watch his real “I’m In” video and see how Biden HAS TO stop before the “Life” segment of the “Declaration” (at 15 seconds into the video).

See this for yourself. Let it sink deep into your mind who these guys REALLY are.

But this Charlottesville lie keeps being brought up again.
Now we have a reference point right here on CAF.

The fact that the media keeps re-hashing this just reinforces to me that the left has nothing on Trump.

I mean really. Why use THIS??

It just looks bad for the left when they mischaracterize President Trump here.

If Trump is so terrible, the left OUGHT to be able to get some REAL DIRT and use THAT! (Not the same Stormy Daniels NDA story for almost 3 months straight please.)

So when I see the Charlottesville spoof, I keep thinking, . . .
. . . . “That’s it?? That’s the “best” you got??”
(Biden apparently thought so.)

Don’t be fooled by these shenanigans by the press.

The New York Times for example has plotted a course of how they were going to attempt to focus on Trump and racism for the upcoming election.

Good luck with that, when this stuff is just put out there objectively for all to read.

CNN’s Jake Tapper, to his credit, has admitted the truth on behalf of President Trump (see info. on that here) concerning the Charlottesville spoof.

Of course the real bigots, are the ones who TRY to keep it legal to murder pre-born minority infants.

Just remember. It’s all about abortion and sexual deviancy and you will be way ahead in seeing through these guys in the media that do this.

3 Likes

Regarding Trump calling (allegedly) the neonazis “Very fine people” the guy @Rhubarb quoted, “Shaun” . . . the guy with the little skull sign in the upper left hand corner looking at his video . . . . says at 1:32 of the video . . . .

“however they (PragerU) provide absolutely no evidence of them making the claim. They just tell you that it’s true. And expect you to take their word on the matter.”

Here is what the PragerU video REALLY said (about this aspect) quoting President Trump (see it yourself at 19 seconds.) . . . .

“I’ve condemned neonazis”

Then PragerU, builds on that EVIDENCE.

Ask yourself if PragerU REALLY provided NO EVIDENCE when you can see for yourself they DID provide EVIDENCE.

PragerU had the direct statement from President Trump at the time for “evidence”.

Shaun is as bad as the fake media.

And Rhubarb. I am disappointed in you that you would latch on to a guy like Shaun” for your “rebuttal” of PragerU.

As I said. No need to go further. Shaun is fake. I am not wasting 15 minutes of my precious lifetime watching “Shaun” when he has already disqualified himself. Unless you come up with a pretty good reason (it better be more than “watch it” otherwise I am going to blow that off.)

Once again. Here is the salient quotes from the actual news conference where President Trump claims just the opposite of what the media people (and “Shaun” with the skull that Rhubarb is clinging to for history “accuracy”) says.

Trump : Those people, all of those people- excuse me. I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups, but not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white supremacists, by any stretch.

Trump : OK, good. Well, are we going to take down the statue? Because he was a major slave owner. Now, are we going to take down his statue? So, you know what? It’s fine. You’re changing history. You’re changing culture and you had people, and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, OK?

Rhubarb. Don’t fall for Shaun’s “Shaunanigans”. Don’t be fooled by him. Read the transcript for yourself. You will draw the correct conclusion.

2 Likes

ProVobis taking out of context what I said quoting President Trump pretending (via implication) that President Trump is saying “good things” about neo-Nazis.

ProVobis . . . .

You have to admit, it’s rare that he says good things about everyone. I couldn’t believe it either.

For the readers here. You will have to draw your own conclusions on why ProVobis would say this.

For the people who want fact over fiction, here again is what President Trump REALLY said (at least regarding the “meat” of the issue) . . . .

President Trump . . . You’re changing culture and you had people, and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned, totally.

4 Likes

For videos with captions there is an option in YouTube to view the the full captions (transcript). This is especially helpful if you know the phrase you are looking for and want to search for and find it.

Select the option from the lower right.

Then you will see the full transcript on the right.

1 Like

But, but, it doesn’t fit the narrative spoon fed me by my favorite news source!

2 Likes

Can you post a link to the entire press conference?

Thank you ThinkingSapien (here), but would you mind posting an accompanying link for the video?

(The transcript we not only have, but I posted it in toto right here above.)

Here is the entire press conference video 23.30 minutes(8/15/2017) from Politico but can’t caption - the reporters questions start around 6 minutes in. Matches your posts word for word. Politico also has full text.

https://www.politico.com/video/2017/08/15/trump-full-news-conference-at-trump-tower-following-charlottesville-violence-063764

1 Like

And here is also the transcript which goes with President Trump’s Aug. 14th, 2017 statement (which I DO have the CNN video above on).

Statement by President Trump

LAW & JUSTICE

Issued on: August 14, 2017

menuALL NEWS

Diplomatic Room

12:38 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. I’m in Washington today to meet with my economic team about trade policy and major tax cuts and reform. We are renegotiating trade deals and making them good for the American worker. And it’s about time.

Our economy is now strong. The stock market continues to hit record highs, unemployment is at a 16-year low, and businesses are more optimistic than ever before. Companies are moving back to the United States and bringing many thousands of jobs with them. We have already created over one million jobs since I took office.

We will be discussing economic issues in greater detail later this afternoon, but, based on the events that took place over the weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia, I would like to provide the nation with an update on the ongoing federal response to the horrific attack and violence that was witnessed by everyone.

I just met with FBI Director Christopher Wray and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the deadly car attack that killed one innocent American and wounded 20 others. To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend’s racist violence, you will be held fully accountable. Justice will be delivered.

As I said on Saturday, we condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry, and violence. It has no place in America.

And as I have said many times before: No matter the color of our skin, we all live under the same laws, we all salute the same great flag, and we are all made by the same almighty God. We must love each other, show affection for each other, and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry, and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.

Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans. . . . .

1/2 . . . .

2 Likes

. . . 2/2 (with minor overlap for continuity) . . . .

Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

We are a nation founded on the truth that all of us are created equal. We are equal in the eyes of our Creator. We are equal under the law. And we are equal under our Constitution. Those who spread violence in the name of bigotry strike at the very core of America.

Two days ago, a young American woman, Heather Heyer, was tragically killed. Her death fills us with grief, and we send her family our thoughts, our prayers, and our love.

We also mourn the two Virginia state troopers who died in service to their community, their commonwealth, and their country. Troopers Jay Cullen and Burke Bates exemplify the very best of America, and our hearts go out to their families, their friends, and every member of American law enforcement.

These three fallen Americans embody the goodness and decency of our nation. In times such as these, America has always shown its true character: responding to hate with love, division with unity, and violence with an unwavering resolve for justice.

As a candidate, I promised to restore law and order to our country, and our federal law enforcement agencies are following through on that pledge. We will spare no resource in fighting so that every American child can grow up free from violence and fear. We will defend and protect the sacred rights of all Americans, and we will work together so that every citizen in this blessed land is free to follow their dreams in their hearts, and to express the love and joy in their souls.

Thank you. God bless you. And God bless America. Thank you very much.

END
12:43 P.M. EDT

Here (again) is the actual video of this statement by President Trump (not to be confused with the follow-up Press Conference he ALSO had – which was likewise detailed above in posts by me too).

As I have said.

Read this and draw your own conclusions.
A full-frontal condemnation of racism by President Trump.

Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.

Yet the left accuses Trump, even here, of . . . Racism.

4 Likes

The left have no moral authority. Being called a bigot or racist or some kind of phobe is a badge of honor now. It tells you you are over the target.

2 Likes

Seems like the nature of man. So maybe the best advice is to say only what’s necessary and no more.

OK. Here is the video (to go along with the transcript already above) from the follow-up Trump Tower presser.

https://www.politico.com/video/2017/08/15/trump-full-news-conference-at-trump-tower-following-charlottesville-violence-063764

(Hat tip to @gam197 for providing it above - here. Many thanks.).

Here it is also on Youtube (posted by Fox) . . .

So now we have the full actual historical record right here on this thread here at CAF, of the original Trump statement.

And also the original follow-up “presser” by President Trump at Trump Towers.

We now have both Trump statements in transcript form and in video form.

• Original Presidential Charlottesville Response transcript (here)

• Original Presidential Charlottesville Response video (here)

• Trump Towers Charlottesville follow-up press conference transcript (here)

• Trump Towers Charlottesville follow-up press conference video (above on this very post)

2 Likes

I would save a link to this whole thread because it will not be long before a poster on these forums will again say President Trump said this about Charlottesville.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

gam197 . . .

I would save a link to this whole thread because it will not be long before a poster on these forums will again say President Trump said this at Charlottesville.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You are absolutely right gam197.

Which is exactly why I wanted ALL of this ORIGINAL information right here on this thread.

It did not start out that way. But one post in, and I saw we needed to go in that direction.

This thread from here on out, will become
"Charlottesville Central" against Fake News
on that subject.

Your “all in one” reference source.

Thanks to fellow-posters like yourself and others here that just want an accurate portrayal of the situation.

Covfefe.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.