Praise God!

A little backup - I'm a Protestant married to a non-practicing Catholic for 8 years now. He is in the U.S. Army and away a lot right now doing training. While he's been gone this past month, I had what I can only describe as a testimony to open my mind & heart to the Church, and I feel as though God is pulling me home. I come from a very anti-Catholic background, so this is quite a surprise to both me and my loved ones. My husband has been in Ranger school and has had no idea.

I was afraid to approach him on his 8 hour pass today about this subject because he's never told me how he feels about the Church, just that he's never going to convert out and that he gets bored during Mass. Well, I cannot keep things from him easily, so I hit him with it early into our visit - including that I've been so enjoying Mass that I attend it several times a week. He did laugh for a minute and said "wow, how long have I been gone again??", but after a discussion about what I've been doing, he finally agreed that A) if I decide at the end of Lent that I want to become Catholic, we can have our marriage blessed in the Church before he deploys, which means B) after Ranger school, he is going to come back to the Church and we will become active Catholics.

OH WOW! I have been praying in this journey that, if this is where I should be, God will open my husband's heart and pull him home, too. And his reaction to me tells me that God is doing just that. I love them both so much. :amen:

But do keep praying for our family, please. Having come from three decades of being told why I should not be a Catholic, I know I have a lot of studying & work to do to learn the truth, and I really want my husband to have the burning for God that he hasn't had since I've known him.

:gopray2: :getholy: :angel1: :heaven: :yyeess: :aok:

Let's see...how many happy smilies can I put in one message???

:D

How wonderful, your message has made me so happy!!! I wish you and your husband all the best in your journey toward the Church...You as a convert can definitely lead him back and enrich his faith, you can light the spark for him, and give him the desire to truly learn about and embrace the full knowledge of the faith.

So, so pleased for you! God bless you both!!!

:thumbsup:

Good to hear! Congrats. Funny how when you look into the Catholic Faith you find that most of the stuff you heard isn't right. :)

Tell your hubby that he can come back to the church now. I'm sure a Mass will be availible most places he goes.

Praise God, indeed! You both need to talk to the priest ASAP. I hope you don't think you can become a Catholic by this Easter, unless you are already in RCIA or are being instructed by a priest and know you will be received then. But, don't despair. Unless there's some other impediment to you having your marriage convalidated (I'm assuming you weren't married in the Catholic Church), you can have that done before you become a Catholic. Welcome to the journey into the Church! God's blessings on you and your husband as you serve our country: him in the military and you serving at home.

[quote="Della, post:4, topic:233040"]
Praise God, indeed! You both need to talk to the priest ASAP. I hope you don't think you can become a Catholic by this Easter, unless you are already in RCIA or are being instructed by a priest and know you will be received then. But, don't despair. Unless there's some other impediment to you having your marriage convalidated (I'm assuming you weren't married in the Catholic Church), you can have that done before you become a Catholic. Well to the journey into the Church and God's blessings on you and your husband as you serve our country: him in the military and you serving at home.

[/quote]

We are only at our current post until he completes Ranger school, and then we will move back to the parish where he grew up (his station is just a few hours away, and since he deploys at the end of summer, he feels better leaving me at our home).

So this is what I am thinking: his parish does not begin RCIA until late October. Can we meet with a priest when we get home and explain that I am planning to convert, but that he's going to deploy before I can begin classes so that he may help us get permission from our bishop to marry? He is in the infantry, and I do not want to set him out into a war knowing that there is the possibility of never having a valid marriage. :(

[quote="icamay, post:5, topic:233040"]
We are only at our current post until he completes Ranger school, and then we will move back to the parish where he grew up (his station is just a few hours away, and since he deploys at the end of summer, he feels better leaving me at our home).

So this is what I am thinking: his parish does not begin RCIA until late October. Can we meet with a priest when we get home and explain that I am planning to convert, but that he's going to deploy before I can begin classes so that he may help us get permission from our bishop to marry? He is in the infantry, and I do not want to set him out into a war knowing that there is the possibility of never having a valid marriage. :(

[/quote]

There's a process to getting your marriage blessed. Typically you will be required to some or all of the things a Catholic couple would do in marriage prep class. This may involve meeting with another couple for a relationship test (not sure what they call it), going on a retreat and meeting with your priest. If that's the case, it will be hard to get done by Easter.

However, I think the priest can ask for special permission from the Bishop.

[/quote]

It may be possible, but I would urge you to call to make an appointment with your priest today so that you can get the ball rolling as quickly as possible. I hope it can be worked out within your time frame--you have my prayers.

Oh, and I guess I should clarify - he won't be home from Ranger school before Easter. He's only out today on a few hour pass to restock before his next phase. He won't be home before May at the earliest, and then we'll be moving back to Texas.

[quote="icamay, post:8, topic:233040"]
Oh, and I guess I should clarify - he won't be home from Ranger school before Easter. He's only out today on a few hour pass to restock before his next phase. He won't be home before May at the earliest, and then we'll be moving back to Texas.

[/quote]

In that case, you may wish to talk to the Army's Catholic chaplain to discuss the details of your situation. :)

[/quote]

I do not know what your knowledge of the faith is, but in some cases, for those well versed in the Catholic faith, the priest can make an exemption and get you received in a shorter time. But put your trust in God's divine will and providence and He will make it happen. I do not know how open you are to this, but ask for help from the Blessed Virgin. She will always be there for you.

[quote="pablope, post:10, topic:233040"]
I do not know what your knowledge of the faith is, but in some cases, for those well versed in the Catholic faith, the priest can make an exemption and get you received in a shorter time. But put your trust in God's divine will and providence and He will make it happen. I do not know how open you are to this, but ask for help from the Blessed Virgin. She will always be there for you.

[/quote]

You are very right. I know it's hard to be patient when you find something beautiful, but God has never left me before, nor will he now. I think the Army factor is just another pressing thing for me, since I am very realistic about what my husband's job means and that he may not come home one day. Pray for my patience!

This started several weeks ago when I began a "Catholics Returning Home" class. I have never felt so excited about a religion-based class of any kind, nor about attending church. Now, I feel like every Mass I attend is like a refresher for my day, like I'm recharged, and I get excited about going to class every Saturday. If you know anyone looking into it, I definitely suggest it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.