Praise & Worship Songs about Mercy

Hello,

There is a praise & worship night at my parish coming up, and the theme is going to be God's mercy/forgiveness. I am looking for some good praise & worship songs that have this theme. If anybody could suggest any to me, I would really appreciate it!

God bless!

How wonderful that your parish is having a musical event that takes place outside of the Mass! I hope you get a lot of responses!

How often does your parish do this, and are there similar events throughout your diocese?

t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0eVGfu2q76RAX-84HZ0qpx8kklDJJHbTfJTO5dFFf49pkX8FjRw

[quote="elizabeth211, post:1, topic:315947"]
Hello,

There is a praise & worship night at my parish coming up, and the theme is going to be God's mercy/forgiveness. I am looking for some good praise & worship songs that have this theme. If anybody could suggest any to me, I would really appreciate it!

God bless!

[/quote]

I like "the cry of the poor".

Lyrics
Refrain
The Lord hears the cry of the poor.
Blessed be the Lord.

1. I will bless the Lord at all times,
    with praise ever in my mouth.
    Let my soul glory in the Lord,
    who will hear the cry of the poor.

2. Let the lowly hear and be glad:
    the Lord listens to their pleas;
    and to hearts broken, God is near,
    who will hear the cry of the poor.

3. Ev’ry spirit crushed, God will save;
    will be ransom for their lives;
    will be safe shelter for their fears,
    and will hear the cry of the poor.

4. We proclaim your greatness, O God,
    your praise ever in our mouth;
    ev’ry face brightened in your light,
    for you hear the cry of the poor.

Hosea is quite beautiful. Sorry I don't have the songwriter but I believe it may be one of the Franciscan brothers.

P&W songs of contrition and mercy that I like:

All We Like Sheep
Healing Grace
Purify My Heart
The Mercy Seat

[quote="elizabeth211, post:1, topic:315947"]
Hello,

God bless!

[/quote]

I don't have anything to contribute right now. I know a lot of music, but the way my mind works, I have to have a printed list in front of me, or everything I've ever sung/played disappears into the dark corners of my cranium :p

That said, I just want to congratulate your parish for doing this. There is a very narrow range of music that I like during Mass, but I do wish that our parish would have these kinds of evenings where other forms of instrumental and vocal music could be celebrated.

Thank you everyone for the responses!

Yes, this event is actually for the youth group... once a week we have praise and worship nights for the youth where we gather to sing worship songs, sometimes with the Blessed Sacrament exposed.

The parish also has these weekly for the entire parish to join in, as well. They have been such a blessing to our parish!

Maybe you would consider asking your pastor about starting something like this at your parish, as well. All it takes is some people willing to lead the music, and more people to join in and pray with open hearts. These nights started at our parish with about five people and we have gotten up to about two hundred on some nights. They are such a blessing, and I would encourage you advocating to start one at your parish! Good luck and God bless.

Mike Joncas' WITH THE LORD is a very singable and beautiful melody for the refrain. The first and third verses are also quite accessible, but the 2nd and 4th require a choir (I rhymed!)
Some have criticized it as emulating "Michel Legrand," but that doesn't particular bother me.

Only Grace - Matthew West
Better than a Hallelujah - Amy Grant
Alive Again - Matt Maher
Every Little Prison - Matt Maher (assuming sin is a prison)
I am New - Jason Gray
Because I'm Forgiven - Phillips, Craig, and Dean
Your Grace is Enough - Matt Maher (I like Matt Maher)
Worn - Tenth Avenue North
You Know Better - Mercy Me
The Struggle - Tenth Avenue North

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.