Pranks?

I would assume pranks are venial sins?

So my father was washing his car and listening to a cassette player when I got home from confession. He told me not to lock the garage door because he wanted to be able to access the cassette player or something. I thought it would be funny to lock the door for a few seconds then unlock it. I had no evil intention. I only intended to get a few laughs. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing that made me start wondering about the morality of pranks was my father’s retort that I needed to go back to confession (keep in mind that my father, while Catholic, is not religious whatsoever.) However, he was most likely joking.

Mortal sin must involve grave matter.
Locking a door as a joke doesn’t seem like grave matter.
It might be venial, or not a sin at all.

Don’t worry. Mention whenever you do go to confession again, if still worried about it.

If it’s all in good fun and not meant to hurt anyone, but simply for the purpose of laughs with good friends and family, then there is no sin involved.

May God bless you and grant you peace! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t too sure about pranks, but thanks for clearing that up! :smiley:

No sin.

That depends on the prank. :wink:

Pranks can be grave matter, if they are particularly cruel.

This was not, but neither was it particularly funny. IMNAAHO

ICXC NIKA

St. Philip Neri played numerous pranks as a way of teaching and humbling people. We can’t all be him, of course, but…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.