pray for me

Sometimes I wonder if I’m in the right faith. My non Catholic friend is very close to God and what he believes he can support with the bible. It seems like he’s not Catholic and closer to God than I am. He’s trying to convincie me the Catholics have false doctrine he makes good arguments

Praying for you.

:gopray:

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle, be our safe-guard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end
Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

:signofcross:

Could you be a little more specific on the arguments? Which arguments, specifically? Please, don’t hesitate to write us a list of these arguments, so we can all pick those apart, one by one, piece by piece, for you!

You have come to exactly the right place to debunk any arguments against the Catholic Church.

The study of defending the faith is called “apologetics”.

Here’s just one apologetics cheat sheet of some of the most common arguments other faiths use when talking against the Catholic Church.

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/WALLET.HTM

Keep in mind anything not covered there, you can ask about online. Good luck, and God bless!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :gopray:

Arguments: faith alone,imputed righteous,Mary being perfecr, priest can’t marry, there is no just war, water baptism is not neccasry , there is no mortal or venial, churches teaches to abstain from meat, and more I’m probably forgetting

There are good answers to every one of these. All of these Catholic positions are in the Bible. Have you researched each of them? I have no problem asserting that. Here are good links, in addition to what you already received. Please research the topics and it will help confirm your faith. :slight_smile:

Catholic.com
philvaz.com
phatcatholic
Where is That in the Bible?
Bible Christian Society

Lord, please grant this soul many graces for wisdom, faith, hope, love, and joy. Cultivate in Mark’s life a zeal for the true faith, and illuminate the path of truth. See that he realize that the faith is not dependent on emotional feelings but a conviction. Send angels to help with this. Have mercy, Lord. Our Lady, angels, and saints, pray with us. Amen.

Praying that the Lord may guide you and increase your knowledge of the Faith.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Hello!
So I’m just going to cover one of the things you asked about because its near and dear to my heart. Keep in mind that you can find all of the answers to your questions in a nice big book called the Catechism. It’s beautiful! I assume that your friend says that the Virgin Mary wasn’t the immaculate conception and that Catholics “worship” her. First I’ll start with a little history because I am a history major and I love how history enlightens people. When Martin Luther posted his 95 theses in Wittneberg they were concerned with all types of theological misinterpretations. In his theses he says that anyone who holds Mary as equal to Jesus is basically committing idolatry, which is true. But Catholics do not believe that Mary and Jesus are equal and THEY NEVER DID! EVER. His appeal also said that anyone who thought that Jesus was incomplete without Mary was committing a sin as well. This is where Martin Luther was wrong. It was partly the time he lived in (Patriarchy and all that) but I won’t give you a lecture on feminism - I’m sure you’ve heard it all. But it is really important that you contextualize the polarizing environment that Luther was a product of. There was much theological debate (even in the Church) about the place of Mary (was she the immaculate conception or not?). Even Aquinas, who came before Luther, said that Mary wasn’t the immaculate conception. If you don’t believe me read his Summa Theologica. But debate is good for the church and it proves that we are and always have been open-minded about our beliefs. The reason we now believe firmly in the immaculate conception can be found in the Catechism:

The Immaculate Conception *

490 To become the mother of the Savior, Mary "was enriched by God with gifts appropriate to such a role."132 The angel Gabriel at the moment of the annunciation salutes her as “full of grace”.133 In fact, in order for Mary to be able to give the free assent of her faith to the announcement of her vocation, it was necessary that she be wholly borne by God’s grace.

491 Through the centuries the Church has become ever more aware that Mary, “full of grace” through God,134 was redeemed from the moment of her conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception confesses.

492 The “splendor of an entirely unique holiness” by which Mary is “enriched from the first instant of her conception” comes wholly from Christ: she is “redeemed, in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son”.136 The Father blessed Mary more than any other created person “in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” and chose her “in Christ before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before him in love”.137

493 The Fathers of the Eastern tradition call the Mother of God “the All-Holy” (Panagia), and celebrate her as “free from any stain of sin, as though fashioned by the Holy Spirit and formed as a new creature”.138 By the grace of God Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long.

“Let it be done to me according to your word. . .”

494 At the announcement that she would give birth to “the Son of the Most High” without knowing man, by the power of the Holy Spirit, Mary responded with the obedience of faith, certain that “with God nothing will be impossible”: "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to your word."139 Thus, giving her consent to God’s word, Mary becomes the mother of Jesus. Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and to the work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God’s grace:140
As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race."141 Hence not a few of the early Fathers gladly assert. . .: "The knot of Eve’s disobedience was untied by Mary’s obedience: what the virgin Eve bound through her disbelief, Mary loosened by her faith."142 Comparing her with Eve, they call Mary “the Mother of the living” and frequently claim: "Death through Eve, life through Mary."143

You sir, should be proud of your faith. It is the ONLY monotheistic religion in the entire world that views women as equal to men (I’m going to be nice and say - except, perhaps, Judaism, because the Old Testament, contrary to popular belief and assertion, is an extremely feminist religious text and has entire books dedicated to the lives of prominent Jewish women). It is the only institution that had big enough stones to stand up to society and say that the Virgin Mary was the Holy of Holies, and that she was VITAL for the redemption of the world and that Women couldn’t be blamed for the fall of man, because the Blessed Virgin had to come BEFORE Jesus could be born. She was the new Eve. You should also not let what other people say influence you so much. You need to be conscious of why people are telling you what they’re telling you and where their information is coming from. A lot of Protestants think that Catholics, Jews, and people of other religions are going to hell, which is just ridiculous. And many Protestants have a deeply ingrained hatred for Catholics that stems all the way from the reformation. Just dig up some primary sources from England after the reformation. Read John Milton’s Aeropagitica or Lady Jane Grey’s letter to M.H. and you will see how biased and unknowledgeable many Protestants are about the Church. It is mostly just blind hate or lies that they have been taught by someone else. Learn about your faith and be strong in it. Catholicism is an absolutely beautiful religion, it really is.*

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

The best defense is to know your faith. Read the links people have given you and more. Be armed with the Truth and you will feel less drawn to other faiths as the Catholic faith is the fullest and most rich. God Bless you!

Praying…

Praying for you. Does your parish have a faith formation group or bible study group you can join to become more versed in the Catholic doctrine and beliefs? Also you could join a RCIA group if your parish has one. RCIA is not just for non-catholics seeking conversion; but also for practicing Catholics who wish to be more knowledgeable of their faith. God bless.

Praying that the Lord may strengthen you and increase your knowledge of the Faith.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.