Pray for my faith

I have recently been overtaken by some enormous doubt, not any real reason to doubt my faith, just some "could this all really be true?" kind of doubt. Thank you so much for your prayers, and tell me if you know any books/prayers/devotions that have helped you or a loved one with this sort of doubt. Thanks again so much!

Praying with Bible verses from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Mid-morning reading (Terce) Amos 4:13 ©
He it was who formed the mountains, created the wind, reveals his mind to man, makes both dawn and dark, and walks on the top of the heights of the world; the Lord, the God of Hosts, is his name.

Noon reading (Sext) Amos 5:8 ©
He made the Pleiades and Orion, who turns the dusk to dawn and day to darkest night. He summons the waters of the sea and pours them over the land. ‘The Lord’ is his name.

Afternoon reading (None) Amos 9:6 ©
He has built his high dwelling place in the heavens and supported his vault on the earth; he summons the waters of the sea and pours them over the land. ‘The Lord’ is his name.

[quote="atman, post:1, topic:176965"]
I have recently been overtaken by some enormous doubt, not any real reason to doubt my faith, just some "could this all really be true?" kind of doubt. Thank you so much for your prayers, and tell me if you know any books/prayers/devotions that have helped you or a loved one with this sort of doubt. Thanks again so much!

[/quote]

Please don't be fazed by this. It's an invitation to develop a deeper faith.
And with St Thomas you can say, "I believe, Lord, help my unbelief!"

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Lord, please help atman to place his complete trust in you and help him be surrendered to your all merciful will. May he know you died for him and may this fact lead him to understand all truth. It helped me when I was in doubt and I pray it will help atman. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

I believe it was St. Paul who prayed "Increase my belief, decrease my unbelief".

Actually, though St Thomas to finding the proof in the risen Jesus that
"it is all true" was to praise God.
In awe and humility he cried out,
"My Lord and my God!"
And perhaps that's what we need to do when we doubt,
to cry out "My Lord and my God" an act of simple, powerful faith!
As so many disbelieve, perhaps this is what God wishes to hear from you.
Because see how Jesus' reacts about lack of faith, tired and disappointed as shows in His exclamation,
"O faithless generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? That sounds so sad. I'm sure your act of faith despit doubts would be refreshing in this wolrd of millions of unbelievers.

Mark 9:17-26 "Teacher, I have brought to you my son possessed by a mute spirit.
Wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, grinds his teeth, and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive it out, but they were unable to do so." He said to them in reply, "O faithless generation, how long will I be with you? How long will I endure you? Bring him to me." They brought the boy to him. And when he saw him, the spirit immediately threw the boy into convulsions. As he fell to the ground, he began to roll around and foam at the mouth.
It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."
Jesus said to him, "'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith." Then the boy's father cried out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!" Jesus, on seeing a crowd rapidly gathering, rebuked the unclean spirit and said to it, "Mute and deaf spirit, I command you: come out of him and never enter him again!"

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.