Pray for my Father

I was wondering if any of you could say a prayer for my father.

He’s a very good man. I strive to be like him. I truly love him, and I really think that he’s a kind person. He works his butt off nearly everyday in a harsh environment, without a word of complaint. He truly tries to help other people. Just thinking about his virtues right now brings tears of love to my eyes.

But he does have one serious fault, which is that he’s no longer a Catholic. He’s been convinced by the new-agey/buddhist crowd (though he is definitely not you’re typical wishy-washy indulgent new-ager).

Therefore, I would love it if you’d pray for his conversion to the True Faith. I’ve been working him towards it, slowly. I try not to push every point, just explaining to the best of my ability why the Church believes what it believes, such as on sex - that sex isn’t “bad”, but, representing the union of a man to his wife, is, in a certain sense, sacred, and that Catholics just believe that we should use our genitalia the way they were made, being open to the possibility of conception. Things like that.

He’s not too far, I don’t think. From speaking with him I’ve learned that Buddhism isn’t nearly as far from Catholicism as one might think at first. Their morality is very similar to ours, emphasizing compassion and gentleness. He also acknowledges Jesus and his teachings - he just doesn’t believe Jesus was really the Son of God; or maybe he does, but he doesn’t believe in the Church. To be honest I’m not totally aware of his beliefs on Jesus, they seem pretty confused at this point. Basically his sin is spiritual pride. He believes that God is inside all of us and that therefore we can all choose how to live our lives to get to God.

So yeah, please pray for my dad. I’m NOT trying to criticize him. He’s no hippie. He’s a very good man. I love him more than words can express. I just want him to enjoy the fullness of the faith, and be more assured of his salvation.

John, yes, I’ll pray for your Dad.
I ask God to help your quiet, faithful example to help to draw him back to Jesus and the Sacraments.
Dear Jesus, please reclaim John’s father as Your own.

John, I prayed for both of you. You are lucky to have such a lovely father.

Rove

Praying for your Father to rediscover Christ, John. Hang in there.

Praying for your father.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Praying.

Praying for your father to be able to tune out the voices of men and to hear that still small voice of the holy spirit to lead him back home.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.