Pray I might overcome sins of the flesh

I have been diagnosed with both bipolar disorder and Asperger’s syndrome and that makes my fight even more difficult, but I don’t want to use that as an excuse. Last summer I walked away from the Church and started a journey into the occult and when I did I gave into my inclination to homosexual sins and sins nearly every man is tempted to with abandon. I have since made a good confession and came back to the Church renouncing the occult, but I am enslaved to “sins of the flesh.” I am no longer sinning with other people, but I cannot seem to control my mind and no matter how hard I try, and I am regularly looking at things I shouldn’t. I have been diagnosed with sexual addiction disorder by a psychiatrist/psychologist which if that’s real I don’t know how responsible I am for my sin, but I know it hurts God and I want to be free. I am really unhappy right now about this. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME. PLEASE?

I am sorry to hear you are struggling so but it sounds as if you are taking steps by seeking help. I will pray for you that you may break free from the chains of addiction. As far as culpability would be good perhaps to have a regular confessor who knows your situation who can help you assess culpability.

God bless,

Mary.

Welcome home, brother! Satan doesn’t like to lose anyone he’s fooled previously so expect temptation to be just as strong if not stronger than when you strayed from the Church. Continue to pray for strength to avoid sin and, if you fall, make a good and earnest confession to sin no more. God knows we’re all sinners and we may fall again and again but He is always merciful.

My personal recommendation is to take responsibility for action and ignore stray thoughts . People can have impure thoughts just pop into their heads but as long as you don’t seek out those thoughts, act on them, or hold them in your memory consciously, they are just temptation not sins. A priest once said, in order to resist temptation and sin, we should “relax and be happy.” It’s hard to sin if you’re happy and temptation causes our bodies to tense up. I find that it’s true for me so I try to always seek out the positive and smile whenever I can. When I feel myself being tense, I take deep breaths and say short prayers; finding a quiet spot away from too much activity of any kind helps to center my thoughts on God and removes tension as well. Try changing up your routine; habitual sin requires us to go to places and do activities that lead us to the sins. If you find yourself being impure when alone in front of your computer, move your computer and place a picture of Jesus in your line of sight. Each time you glance up, pray “I love you, Jesus. Help me to avoid sin.”

Blessings on you and praying that you have a Blessed Holy Week.:thumbsup:

I am bipolar with OCD. I can relate to your struggles and you have my prayers.

I would recommend finding a good spiritual father. In addition to hearing your confessions, he can guide you as you encounter new challenges in your return.

Know that we are all on a path to repentance, convert and cradle alike. You are not alone on the journey. Find good people that you can lean on, and offer your shoulder in return. :slight_smile:

FWIW, you’re not expected to control your mind in the sense of keeping out all bad thoughts. With God’s grace, you can handle these thoughts correctly. I would also recommend that you look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It really worked well for me.

If you have been diagnosed with sexual addiction disorder, it is likely that it is not your fault. If so you should not dwell on it and live your life.

Praying to St. Dymphna for your health & recovery. Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom to overcome your temptations.

I’m praying …

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen
:gopray:

The devil can have NO power over you EXCEPT thru
the LAW OF GOD. See 1 Cor. 15:56, that and the
fact that the devil holds the power of Death(Heb. 2:14).
That puts the priority to fear God’s Laws to the fore-
front, rather than fearing the Tempter, BillTheSlink.

I pray that God will reveal to you the deceitfulness of
lusting after homosexual love. It is a FALSE way to
satisfy your natural need for sexual fulfillment, as it
says in Proverbs 9:17-18, “Stolen water is sweet, and
food eaten in secret is delicious, BUT he doesn’t know
that THE DEAD ARE THERE and her guests are in
the DEPTHS OF HELL”.

Our Father, who is in heaven,
Your name be held holy,
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
and forgive us our trespasses as we have forgiven those who trespass
against us and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Prayer for a Miracle

God of all creation, you who spoke a simple command and brought forth light from
the darkness, I ask you now to send forth your miracle-working power to heal BillTheSlink. You cleansed the lepers, opened the eyes of the blind and by
speaking a simple command, you empowered the crippled to rise up and walk.
You sent forth your life-giving power to all those in need, including those you raised from
the dead. I ask you to send forth your healing power into BillTheSlink’s body and give him the strength to fight his illness. I ask this through my Lord, Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

Praying…

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen. †

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our defense against the wickedness and snares
of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other
evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen. † :signofcross: :blessyou:

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

:highprayer:

Please continue to pray. I have had success in living and thinking right since this request was put in. I feel so much better, like God is in control and I just have to lean on Him and obey.

Someone said not to get tense or be scared. That is what was happening. I was afraid I would be compelled to think or do something, dwell on it, and eventually it was like I was compelled. I realize now I was/am living in fear of something that I shouldn’t because God said not to be afraid. I think that’s what several priests have told me, but didn’t bring down to my level enough so I would understand. Thank you. I also have found an accountability and prayer partner I can turn to in between seeing my confessor. CAF is such a great place.:thumbsup:

OP, CAF is a great forum for Catholics and those learning about or interested in Catholicism. I’m grateful we Catholics have a way of sharing our faith that can help others. In your continuous journey, always remember we are all sinners and God forgives each and every one of our sins because He desires us to be with Him at the end of our journey. God Bless and have a Blessed Triduum!:signofcross:

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Amen. †

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you because by your holy cross you have redeemed the world!

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Amen. †

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.